Khorns, WHAT DO THEY FIT IN

Gilbert

I will be picking up some Khorns in SanDiego in 2 weeks, and need to know what these speakers will fit in.

I had requested this information earlier, but it now seems that my choices are limited with the rental companies, because my rental in ONE-WAY.

My vehicle choices are pretty much limited to a MiniVan. I was informed that the choices include

Ford's ..... "FreeStar"

Toyota....."Sienna"

Dodge......"Caravan"

I am sure you have perfectly valid reasons for making the trip. But just in case you do not. North American Van Lines (NAVL) has a service where they will drive to, pick up, hand wrap in blankets and deliver to your door large bulky items. For a quote, call Michelle 1-800-959-8880 ext 2842 with your zip code and the other zip code. I have heard of many many pinball collectors using this service for a couple of hundred dollars. It takes about a week from the time you call to delivery to your door.

This has to be cheaper then a car rental and gas.

Just a thought.

No association with them. Just passing on info.

Will certainly give a call...wish I had known about it early last year when I threw away close to $1200 paying for wood crates for Khorns and air freighting them to Seattle only to find them in cardboard boxes with minimal Styrofoam protections. I was lucky to have no damages to the Khorns but got screwed on the crating. They deducted $50 from the total bill when I complained...

Well, I have finally ran out of rooms for my beloved Klipsch speakers and have been thinking about letting some of them leave my house and bring joy to other under previllaged folks (pure sonicwise). I will post more details when I return home next week end if some of you would be interested.

Ki

I thought in the Chrysler Vans, the seats only folded into the floor in the Town & Country and 'maybe' the Grand Caravan? I'm having a problem with understanding how any of them will work with the seat issue. I have a short Town & Country and had to remove all the seats. It was still very packed. The tops of the Khorns come off though which helps. I didn't know that till we got to the sellers house. It was a relief!

You're going to have to find out what year they are, etc. Hopefully you can find the van that has the dissappearing seats & still offer enough height inside.

I saw a post where someone had a Sienna & posted pics of how they fit inside, etc. I think it was fairly recent?

Last summer I rented a Caravan with Stow and Go to transport the home made bigger Jubilees plus makings or poly reflectors from Dallas to Chicago with a stop over at the Klipsch meeting in Indy. Some of you all saw that in the parking lot.

The Stow and Go is a bit of a miracle with the seats folding into the floor. It is like the stage magic where you know that the lady has fallen into a trap door and not de-materialized. The effect is nonetheless impressive. You wind up with a heck of a lot of space.

This doesn't come cheap though. With careful planning and calculations there may be better deals for you. I was in a situation where I threw money at the uncertainty. It worked out well, otherwise. Maybe a small U-Haul van would do the same.

Gil

I've fit two Khorns in the back of a 4Runner while still having room for a passenger in front. It was definitely a puzzle to get them to fit and took some advanced planning but it worked quite well. I know that's not one of your options, but a minivan should provide even more room for you. The key is to remove the tops and sidegrills and fit the bass bins in as best as you can. The bass bins alone are triangular shaped, so they don't take up as much room as you would think when the entire speaker is assembled. I never thought I'd be able to fit more than one Khorn in the 4Runner.

Picture-171-small.jpg

Gilbert,

That's one heck of a trip. About 1500 miles?

Hope you take the time to enjoy it, while you are driving. You'll see alot of the country between here and there.

There might be some forum members along the route who'd want to show you some hospitality and cheer you on the way!

The posters above have advised you correctly, IMO, that the key to getting the Khorns loaded will be to disassemble them, side grills off and top hat off the bass bin. I think they'd go fine in any minivan with the seats out. Pack with LOTS of blankets.

1500 miles is a mere jaunt for my bro Gilbert, he has done Burlington, VT to Broken Arrow, OK twice now. He must have the patience and will of a long haul truck driver I could never do it, 6 hours in a car and I am ready to go wacko!

But for a gorgeous mint pair of '64 WO Klipschorns with cane grills and pie slice logos I am sure others here would make the trip as well.

I pick up my Khorns in a Dodge Grand Caravan. It's easier with the original boxes but can be done without them.

MB

That is an interesting statement, because the owner of these Khorns DOES HAVE the original boxes, he aquired them from the original owenr, who purchased the speakers back in 1964. It is amazing that he has everything, including the purchase reciept. The condition of the speakers is described as mint. Per the owner's (Mick) own words, "These f#$%&ing speakers don't even have a f#$%&ing scratch.

Richard, thanks for the heads up on the freight company. I've tried calling a couple of times yesterday, but w/o luck. After sleeping on it, and considering what FedEx did to my Decorator Cornwalls, I think I'd better do this on my own. I just don't trust mover's or shipper's with this type of stuff.

So, thank you everyone for the info, I now feel confident that a minivan with fold away seats will work. I will make that specific request from Avis or Hertz, and pray that they provided me with the vehicle I request. Should be an interesting journey, I plan to check-out the grand canyon and maybe look for an Alien or 2 at Roswell, NM -- [:o]

Thanks Guys.....