New DeWalt....

Joe Shmoe

It may be overkill. It depends what you're working on.

A couple of years ago I asked to do some work for a friend. It required boring into endgrain of hardwood with with a 1 1/2 inch spade bit.

Circumstances were such that I didn't have any tools. So I bought a 24 volt Bosch set at HD. Very nice. BTW, the Germans and Swiss are the clients at the office. So I don't mind throwing business their way.

The 24 volt units have served very well. Maybe stuff from the Orient would have done the job too. I don't look back.

Gil

Hmm new Dewalt 36..... And I still own the original 18 volt cordless

drill, that was more than 10 years ago... it served me fine, In ten

years I just had to fix (not buy) the battery charger because a solder

fell off of the lead to charge the battery. Though we thought it were

dead batteries and Lowes had a sale going on.... the new xrp or

whatever 18 volt was nice though.

Next thing you know where going to have cordless stronger than corded [:P]

Last month I picked up an 18-volt cordless outfit by Bosch. I'd always used Makita before. This a nice set-up. A hammer drill, recip saw, jigsaw, planer, circular saw (yawn), and a flashlight. Real usable tools (minus that circular saw. It runs out of steam REAL fast).

post-3580-13819279045774_thumb.jpg

Yeah my personal set is the Rigid 18 V set, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw, 1/2" Hammer Drill, Jigsaw and flashlight, plus the 12 V angled 90 driver. This set does me just fine. I like some of the newer mega power cordless sets but I really would not use them to their capacity. Have you seen the new Makita stuff. IMO Makita kind of went off the path with respect to quality but they seem to have returned from whence they came. Their new stuff is pretty nice.

All I know is 18V and higher tools get heavy after extended use and really wear on the arm....

I am starting to get back into my CORDED tools a bit more just to lessen arm fatigue....

Try putting up fence, siding or Drywall using a screws and a cordelss driver or drill....

after about 100-200 screws your arm is NUMB.....using a 18v tool....

36v is just using half size batteries and doubleing them up to get 36v...problems are the voltage drop through all the batteries in series gets pretty large....but the lower amp draw allows the batteries to last longer...

I will stick with my 7 year old 18v Dewalt drill...Heck might buy it a new chuck as it is getting worn out....and sloppy.....

Tools for Tin knockers.

I remember when I first got into the business, just about everyone used Wiss. Malco wasn't making snips then so the Wiss were mainstream. Then CC Dickson starting carring the Klenks. Much larger than the Wiss but man were they nice. People thought they were some BS brand but quickly realized they were a superior product. GO KLENK!