'82 Klipshcorns on e-bay over 4k

mbajner

While it is great to see an ordinary set of Walnut KHorns go for over 4$K, it looks like a classic case of shill bidding, with one bidder having a total of three transactions, and the other at twenty four. I'll wager a tenner this set of speakers is relisted within two days of the auction ending.

Besides, at 4K for a set of used KHorns, spend another 2-3K and get a glorious set of new Khorns!

What is so hard to believe? The auction hardly qualifies it to be "shill" bidding. 3 transactions and 20 for the other guy is unbelievable!? Not for nothing but considering the price of new ones I would think its a bargain!! I paid 3k for my used "unglorious" K horns and was GLAD!! How much would you sell yours for??

tjnif, I would be estatic to part with my '91 black Khorns or my '63 oiled walnut Khorns for $4k. Tonight. I'd take the day off tomorrow and drive either set up to the Windy City, or anywhere in a 400 mile radius of St. Louis, to personally deliver them and set them up in the buyer's house for an extra $500.

I call "shill bidders" not due to the fact that these two have such little EBay action, but also due to historical Khorn vale over the past few years, AND the fact they are bidding on a set of pedestrian walnut Khorns. A local sale may bump up a set of Khorns by $500, but not $2K. The EBay seller also does not have a detailed explanation or a quality set of photos, two traits normally associated with above-market sales prices.

The two sets of Khorns that deserve such rarified value currently for sale are Jordan's Rosewood horns in California, and the dealer's Australian Plantation Lacewood 50th anniversary horns in Missouri. Both of these are beautiful examples of Khorns, and they may struggle to hit this value. They also are both honest sales.

We saw Al's walnut Belles in a spurious sale over the weekend. I think a similar wind is blowing in with this sale.

What is so hard to believe? The auction hardly qualifies it to be "shill" bidding. 3 transactions and 20 for the other guy is unbelievable!? Not for nothing but considering the price of new ones I would think its a bargain!! I paid 3k for my used "unglorious" K horns and was GLAD!! How much would you sell yours for??

Offer me $4k and they're gone!

Gary, I can't quite afford the $4,000 . . . . . . . . . . but I will give you FOUR times what you paid for your Khorns!![;)]

Let's see........New crossovers, labor to install new crossovers, newer crossovers, labor again, gas money to pick up in Wilmington, labor to load in the van, lunch on the road for me and the wife, labor to unload the van and carry them in my house, down 15 steps to the basement at $$$$ per step (must also pay Klipschfoot and LarryC for the help), food and drink to feed LarryC and Klipschfoot, Harry and David gift basket to prior owner, rope caulk, labor to install said rope caulk, Larry's photography fees, upgraded tubes and other gear to make them sound better. So far we're at about $17,500. Give me some time and I'll come up with more. As an attorney, I'm sure you're familiar with hourly billing procedures. Still interested?[;)]

Well, I still don't think anyone of you guys would part w/ your Khorns for less than 3K would ya?? My point is ,is that in my (humble) opinion you cannot by a nice pair of Khorns for under 3K. What prices were in the past does not mean it will equate the future, Another question is,if you guys sold your Khorns,how much would it take to replace them? (assuming your replacing them w/ Khorns). All in all,if brand new Khorns are 6k plus,I would buy used,let someone else soak up the depreciation....

There were a mint pair of one owner Khorns sold about 50 miles from me for $2500. They were for sale for weeks and Gilbert bought them sight unseen a few weeks ago. (well there were photos) I saw the ad but didn't have the money. The point is that the going rate for nice Khorns is around $2500. Fixers or slight blems start at about $1500 and go up.

I for one don't think that $4K is too much for a nice pair of Klipschorn's seeing as the going rate is $7500 for new ones, that is if you can find a dealer that will order and sell them to you, and then you have to wait for them to be built and shipped.

I certainly would not give mine away if I sold them.

The bottom line is most of the members of this forum are a bunch of cheapskates looking for that killer deal without regard for being fair to the seller.

In the words of Lou Gehrig, "I consider myself one of luckiest guys in the world", considering I bought a magnificent pair of '64 Khorns in the fall of 2004 and paid $504 for a beautiful pair of Cornwalls in November. I know that I was shocked when I saw the bid price on these Khorns, especially given the marginal quality of the pictures. I guess it all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for them. I know for me I am always looking for a bargain, but not at the expense of the seller. I figure when it gets too high for me, I always tell the seller I hope they get every penny they can for them. I won't be surprised if Dave's prediction comes true and we see that pair back on the block.

I can't recall, in recent memory, a pair going for this high.

In the end, I know that I have the great pleasure of going down to my music room/theater and enjoy the sonic and aesthetic beauty of my Klipsch speakers. In fact, that's where I'm going now. Hasta la vista baby.