50th Anniv Khorns on e-bay

mbajner

I like how the grill cloth wraps around at the top. Not a big fan of the vertical black band though. I imagine it couldn't be removed. That it's inset or covering a gap/veneer seam. I'd like it better if the stripe was wood in a tone to match the lacewood? Would make it less 'deco-ish'. OK - I want them!

Not having seen a set of these in person, I would still venture to say that the center vertical trim piece is for covering a veneer seam; especially because when using lacewood veneers and the like, the boards that the veneer is sawn from can only be so wide (a bigger issue now-a-days than in the past), AND due to the very nature of that type of veneer's aesthetics not being conducive to strip veneering, a visible center seam would detract from the overall aesthetic appearance.

The earliest K-horns were built out-of-house in this style (among a very few other styles), until PWK settled onto the B-style cabinet design of his own patent. By that time, the cabinetry was being done at Klipsch, itself, instead of being farmed-out. A local cabinet-maker and a piano company were the primary builders of the earliest home versions of the K-horn for the first very few years.

Not having seen a set of these in person, I would still venture to say that the center vertical trim piece is for covering a veneer seam; especially because when using lacewood veneers and the like, the boards that the veneer is sawn from can only be so wide (a bigger issue now-a-days than in the past), AND due to the very nature of that type of veneer's aesthetics not being conducive to strip veneering, a visible center seam would detract from the overall aesthetic appearance.

The earliest K-horns were built out-of-house in this style (among a very few other styles), until PWK settled onto the B-style cabinet design of his own patent. By that time, the cabinetry was being done at Klipsch, itself, instead of being farmed-out. A local cabinet-maker and a piano company were the primary builders of the earliest home versions of the K-horn for the first very few years.

Long time! Good to see you stopping by. I hope all is well. Home at last?

bclarke421

It was just a few weeks ago that I saw a single Khorn on Ebay, an old one, that I think would have been among those Andy mentioned.

I'm not saying I've acquired a taste for the 50th anniv. edition, it is just too retro radio for my tastes. But in that really old Khorn, the smaller HF on top was an element carried out in the 50th model.

In my imagination, I think Mr. PWK would perfer the 60th to the 50th, in terms of pleasing cosmetics.

My opinion is that PWK would have probably opted for a 60th anniversary series in highly-figured black walnut, maybe even book-matched burl, but would have likely left out the diamond (but maybe a gold plated PWK pie-slice logo casting, with onyx filling in the black parts, or maybe "Japanned" with gloss black enamel and gold plating, and mounted on the opposite upper corners of the top-housing grill-cloth panels for balance in the pairs?).

Maybe even a front panel like this on the bass bin: four-strip waterfall black walnut veneer, with the PWK pie-slice logo done in Marquetry using ebony veneer, on the vertical centerline of the front panel with a solid ebony kick-plate(or cocobolo kickplate). That would be beautiful, but unobtrusive in its aesthetics, with infinitessimal class, to boot! With the h/f top housings' top panels veneered in center-line bookmatched black walnut burl?

Of course, PWK would have this done in the B-Style cabinet, since it WAS his own patented design to begin with.

Remember, PWK's FAVORITE furniture wood was American black walnut! That's how it is with traditional "gun-nuts"!