KHorn grills

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm doing this to just TAKE THE EDGE OFF the highs. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of these killer speakers, but sometimes it would be nice to have a touch less brilliance."

I'm sure this is what I would suggest for all of the world's problems, but an attenuator can be installed on the crossover board in line with the tweeter. It works like a volume control, and you can fine tune it for what you like best, and then leave it there. Alternatively, you can adjust it to your liking, and then used fixed resistors in its place -- once you know what you like. In addition to variable control L-pads, some speaker designers also use selectable fixed resistor-based attenuation by way of a switch. It's not a difficult modification, and I would be happy to lend a hand if needed.

...if just installing the grille cloth isn't enough, that is.

Erik

jpm wrote the following post at 01-23-2006 7:39 PM:

LaScallas don't normally have grills.

Mine have full grills from the factory; one of less than 20 that were sold that way. Not really my taste as I like the partial grills. It makes my 'Scalas look like Cornwalls. That's why I hide these hideous speakers in my bedroom.

While everyone debated whether black Burlap was good for grills, I installed it over the mid/high horns on one of the speakers. It looks great, and the speaker sounds great. No problem at all. I'll stick w/the way I'm doing it.

I also like the way that the cloth is not so thin that you see the horn cut-outs through it. I know...... I know...... it'll affect the sound, bla, bla, bla.... I'll get some of those Brilliant Beads!

When I get these done, then, I'll post pics. Those Birch KHorns are starting to look great with that black Burlap.

tigerwoodKhorns--

I don't think DuraCrest is an original fabric supplier; on information and belief, they actually get their fabric from Wendell. The odd thing is that DuraCrest sells their fabric for less than Wendell does, and it's the same stuff. You're absolutely right that DuraCrest is a pleasure to deal with and won't hold you up on the shipping costs, minimum fabric amounts, etc. They make Wendell seem like pirates. I've dealt with both. I bought from Wendell one time before I found out about DuraCrest, and I won't buy from Wendell any more.

Correct, Wendell Fabrics and Duracrest can supply the Klipsch OEM black grill cloth. Hardhead is correct, Duracrest buys their fabric from Wendell. Wendell has a minimum buy amount. I bought 4+yds from Wendell and I only use 2 yds or less to regrill my Cornwalls I have it still sealed in plastic on a roll if someone wants to buy what I have left over.

I paid close to $100 for the 4yds, so I would sell the remainder for $50 plus shipping costs if someone wants it. Email me.

• 2 weeks later...

yes it is Dura Crest 708-344-4900 style 17 comes in 72 inch widths just ordered some from Ralph and yes he is a great guy.Rick

This thread came in handy today. I have been looking to order some replacement fabric for my Cornwalls. Spoke with Ralph. He is very pleasant and extremely helpful.

Thanks guys.

Just started recovering my 4 cornwalls with the Dura Crest fabric. Fast delivery and the product seems exactly like the material on my Khorns and La Scala.

One pair of cornwalls had damaged and just plain nasty fabric. The other has a brown cloth and I wanted all the HT speakers to have black cloth. So, I made two new grilles in order to replace the brown ones. Hopefully this will work out nice.

Ralph indicated the best way to put on the cloth is to glue the fabric with "white" glue and let it dry, it dries clear. Then, use contact cement to attach the back side. After it is all dry, then gently use a hair drier to tighten up the material, particularly around the driver openings. Has anyone else done this?

The Duracrest and Wendell grille cloth fabrics will not stretch and sag with time like something more organic like burlap will. The cost of materials is nothing in comparison to the labor used to install grille cloth fabrics. That's why most of choose the option of using original grille type fabrics. Not only that, but it is specially woven to be acoustically transparent, and retains the original look of the speakers to maintain their value.

Michael

The Duracrest and Wendell grille cloth fabrics will not stretch and sag with time like something more organic like burlap will. The cost of materials is nothing in comparison to the labor used to install grille cloth fabrics. That's why most of choose the option of using original grille type fabrics. Not only that, but it is specially woven to be acoustically transparent, and retains the original look of the speakers to maintain their value.

Michael

In that case, go with panty hose! [:P] Just kidding. [;)]

If you are installing grill cloth on KHorns, it should take about 3-4 hours.

As far as the used market, I don't think there is an upside in considering grill cloth choice an "investment." These are consumer items that depreciate rapidly. That's why we pick up $7500 speakers for $1500-$2500. Once you picked up the speakers used for $1500-2500, that is likely what they will be worth, regardless of what grill fabric you use, and regardless of how much time and money you want to put into them.

If you were to really want to make a profit on speakers, you might could pick up some beaters and go cheap on the grill cloth. Maybe you could then squeeze out a few hundred bucks of profit. But if you choose to put on $200 worth of grill cloth - good luck. I think $11 worth of grill cloth is the better choice - that's why I did it.

To make a short story even longer, I don't buy into the notion that there is such a "grill" cloth worth $40/yard. If Klipsch spends that, they are ripping themselves off bad. This stuff could be - and probably is - manufactured in China or some 3rd world country for $1.00/yard - tops.

If people really are regularly spending $40/yard, I am open to anyone who wants to put together an enterprise to import this stuff and mark it up for a $39/yard profit. I have a buddy in China who could arrange for the mfg and import. All we need is to set up the business and make our name known.

The yard is 72 inches wide so its alittle less than 30 bucks a yard also you cant re-grill a pair of K-Horns in 3 hours if you have to remove the old grills and the 10,000 staples lol.....so why not use the good stuff make it look good....a job worth doing is worth doing right....taking short cuts will come back and bite you in the rear end i bet.Rick