shure v15 type III hits record high on ebay.

tuned4life

shure v15 type III's have been part of my morning ebay ritual for over 5 years. if you have some time to kill check out completed items. this past week NOS shure v15 type III HE went for 303.00. another NOS v15 type III went for 326.00. i made up for all my bad deals last summer when i stumbled on to a lot of 5 NOS cartridges for 60.00, 2 of which were unopened shure v15 type III's. of all the vintage audio i have it seems like the only items i could actually make a buck on are the items i could never part with.

I have been watching as I have one on my Dual 721 that I am thinking of selling. Mine has a brand new VN35MR stylus on it, and has less than an hour of playing time on it.

I've got a V15V-MR on the CS-5000 and love it.

Mike

I just checked and it's a V15 type IV. It was originally a type III in 78, but I believe I replaced the cartridge in 86. I have replaced the stylus a number of times.

Man I didnt know the shure cartridge prices were going threw the roof or is it just the shure type 3? I have a shure V15 TYPE 5 MR brand new in the box. When I bought my Shure ulta D-6000 CD player (way back when) shure was giving away a free V15 TYPE 5 MR cartridge with the purchase of their cd player, thats how I got it. Never did use it, looks like it could be better than money in the bank if prices keep going up on ebay.

I have a NOS V15V stylus assembly that I got a few months ago as a warranty replacement and a lightly used cartridge body that I've been saving for whatever table ends up in my family room. Is there a premium for the type III over the newest type V?

The only problem is I doubt I can find a better sounding cart for the money even if I could get $300.

Do any of you know the source for OEM replacement

or aftermarket stylus for Type III? I have the Type

III body from my old college days without the stylus. It would be good

to revive it.

Ki

Ki,

I'm in the same boat.

Have tried a generic replacement and was not impressed.

Have heard good things about these guys, but havent' actually found anyone who's purchased one of their styli:

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/index.php?cPath=18&sort=2a&page=6 [^o)]

Paul

ive been using the type III's exclusively since 1976. in 1976 cartridge and stylus sold for 70.00. ive never owned any of the other v15 models but i have a friend who has. he says the type III is hands down the best v15 ever. i have a couple aftermarket replacement styli and they are no where near as good as the original shure vn 35 e. in my opinion you would be better off with a used original. recently an unopened NOS original factory replacement shure vn 35 e stylus sold for 143.00. both winners were from outside the US. all things considered, a NOS v15 III cartridge with vn 35e stylus is probably well worth 325.00.

The Shure v15 III deserves it's reputation. Many 70's Dual

turntables were supplied with them. I picked up a spare Dual 701

for parts for $50 and was suprised when it came with a v15 III in the

headshell with a vn35 he stylus in pristine condition. So now I have three spare v15 III carts. The Dual

carts might say v15 III du (or dl) but I think it's a standard

cart. I've seen a few of the Dual TTs go on ebay with the v15 III

cart for less than $100. Shure quit selling (or ran out of)

replacement stylii about a year ago - I picked up a couple of the last

vn35 mr stylii they had. With those and two vn35 he stylii that I

already had, I'm set until I die.

Mike - Shure stopped this practice some time ago. I only wish they still replaced stylii for $20 - I have a V15III sitting in a box at home because I can't find a replacement stylus - I'm not willing to waste the money on the aftermarket stylii that are now available nor am I willing to pay $300 for one.

Do any of you know the source for OEM replacement or aftermarket stylus for Type III? I have the Type III body from my old college days without the stylus. It would be good to revive it.

Ki

You may also want to check this site out...maybe they have what you're looking for:

http://www.stereoneedles.com/

I have a shure V15 TYPE 5 MR brand new in the box. When I bought my Shure ulta D-6000 CD player (way back when) shure was giving away a free V15 TYPE 5 MR cartridge with the purchase of their cd player, thats how I got it. Never did use it, looks like it could be better than money in the bank if prices keep going up on ebay.

Interested in selling it? That's what I am using on my CS-5000. Not sure how available the stylii are for that cartridge. I may also replace with the newer (and more expensive) V15VxMR.

Mike

I have a shure V15 TYPE 5 MR brand new in the box. When I bought my Shure ulta D-6000 CD player (way back when) shure was giving away a free V15 TYPE 5 MR cartridge with the purchase of their cd player, thats how I got it. Never did use it, looks like it could be better than money in the bank if prices keep going up on ebay.

Interested in selling it? That's what I am using on my CS-5000. Not sure how available the stylii are for that cartridge. I may also replace with the newer (and more expensive) V15VxMR.

Mike

I thought they stopped selling the V15 altogether which is why the prices on ebay have skyrocketed. I got my replacement stylus assembly under warranty which is the only way you can still get one from what I've been told.

I had planned on picking up a V15III myself and watched the ebay auctions for quite a while. Based on statements by Shure themselves and a number of other V15 users, I instead picked up the m97xe. According to Shure, it is better than all previous V15 and only surpassed by the latest V15 which of course is now discontinued. I picked up the cartridge and replacement stylus for $99; THAT is value and it sounds fantastic. People have lost touch with reality jonesing after these 20 year old cartridges.

The M97xE is not a replacement for the V series carts. I had both a V15 III and a M97xE and there is no comparison as to sound. The M97xE might be Shure's idea of a replacement, as in they're not making a high-end cart anymore, but it can't take the place of V15 III. And neither of those carts come close to the Benz ACE I now use. I really was disappointed with the M97xE, but the price was right.

What was your system setup? I ask only because within my system, I am very happy with the sound it produces. If I could pick up a V15III for a song, I would try it out on my system just to see if I heard a difference. I know certain people who absolutely hate the m97 and claim it is not even close to a V15III; I also know people who claim the exact opposite and sold off their V15III's after comparing them.

Theres basically three cartridges out there I would consider - the M97, the AT440, and the Goldring 1022. Aside from those, I think the cost/value ratio is largely suspect.

I think the V15Vxmr is an amazing cart, especially for the $200 I paid a couple years ago. A place in CA sold them new for a song back then. My cleaning lady broke off the stylus which is why I have a new (under warranty) replacement for it.

I never owned the type III but would be suprised if it sounded better then the V. I still haven't decided whether to keep it for a future table or sell it. I figure they'll only increase in value so for now it'll sit in the case.