PWK meets Amar Bose

djk

Walking down the street, Paul sees Amar, he turns and faces a wall and yells "Hey Amar, how's business?". Amar cups his hands around his mouth and yells "Hey Paul, I can't understand a thing you said". Paul turns towards Amar, cups his hands around his mouth, and yells "Have a nice day!".

Walking down the street, Paul sees Amar, he turns and faces a wall and yells(Boes reflects drivers off walls as in the 901 flag ship speakers) "Hey Amar, how's business?". Amar cups his hands around his mouth(horns) and yells "Hey Paul, I can't understand a thing you said". Paul turns towards Amar, cups his hands around his mouth(horns), and yells "Have a nice day!".

• 2 years later...

got to smoke to get that 1.

Dude. What don't you get? Maybe you need to do a little research on the acoustic design philosphies of Dr Amar Bose and Paul Klipsch? Seems pretty obvious if you've a clue about either one or either company.

i think paul was a genius and the last american pioneer in speaker devolpement.however i have mnot done too much research on any company.If joe smoe's speakers sound good to me,those are the 1's i'll look into.Whats you point? paul or amar don't pay my rent,i don't put thast much time into whos company did what.once agqain i got a pair of 601"s 4 100$on ebay.they work 100% and sound very well,on there own. however with the match up w/ the r-7,isnt to well.the center over powers the maybe an ohm conflict.i didnt go to school 4 this stuff.but i like learning.school me please.im not an ignorant person.the 601's sound good however they lack the crisp mids,that you can only get from a horn.

Well, if it's me, I didn't understand you're you have to smoke to get that 1 comment? Sorry if I'm a little harsh (way past my bedtime).

Just remember if it sounds good to you, it is good. A lot of people here say the 601's are there favorite Bose. I've not heard too many models, the 301's didn't sound too bad for smallish bookshelf speakers though the smallish Kliplsch I've heard sound better to me.. Small exposure to 901's sounded OK but not as good as expected given the hype. The little cube speakers with the band pass bass box, well, sounded like they were missing a lot. Not BAD sound necessarily, but not really good - could never figure out the hype - though they are more spouse friendly. The wave products, again, sound pretty good compared to a boom box, but a lot better sound can be had from my experience, at least sound that I like a lot better but a lot of people buy them and think they're wonderful. Not how I'd spend that much coin.

The 601's (and 901's even more so) are notoriously power hungry. They both take some serious watts to get them to perfrom their best. Not really an ohms issue but an efficiency issue. An RC-7 will play quite loud with not a whole lot of power. A 601 won't play as loud with a lot more power. It takes twice the amplifier power for 3db more output and I think it takes 10db more output to sound twice as loud. A lot of adjustment with your surround sound processor and you should be able to get the sound to balance out volume wise.

The other thing to consider is that the sound of the horn, especially the controlled directivity will likely make it sound louder - the 601 is going to be more dispersed in the high frequencies. I recently heard a pair of Klipsch Palladium P-37F (don't bother, neither of us can afford them, not now anyway) compared to some B&W 802.? (802.d maybe? again way too $$ for me at this time) and was able to compare without knowing what speakers were in use until a couple of weeks after the fact (man, it was hard not to look behind the scrim)

They were level matched but the Palladiums sounded lounder for a lot of the selections or really more in the mids and highs. The sound was much more forward, and life like to me and my daughter - the B&Ws sounded much more laid back and while also INSANELY GOOD SOUND, just not as good, not as lifelike. Think yeah that sounds great, but I can almost feel and smell the sweat of the performer... more in the background and less reach out and touch it kind of realism. My daughter, a beginning euphonium player, thought the brass on the Palladiums sounded much more like the real thing. That said, when we cranked it up the Palladiums almost started to lose it but I suspect that was just TOO LOUD in the smallish room we were in? (stupidly loud for a bit while switching back and forth - I think both were driven by VERY powerful pro amps mabye 400 to 800 WPC) You may be experiencing he same sort of effect even if the levels are the same. May be more pronounced with a horn and the dispersed 601 higher frequencies as opposed to any more direct radiating speakers such as the B&W. I suspect such an effect would be more pronounced with the 601's as the highs are more dispersed and arriving at different times a bit (that direct / reflected design) so while average levels might even be the same, the highs may sound a lot weaker by comparison. More just speculation.

Be forewarned, this is a site of Klipsch fanatics (and probably a few lunatics...) and Bose bashing is a popular activity, almost a sport

P.S. Yes. Paul was a genius and very down to earth and unpretentious. And not just in acoustics. He has patents in oil exploration and balistics, and maybe another area or two besides acoustics. A very fascinating individual. He was also a bit eccentric, though most geniuses probably are. Would've loved to have met him....I've read and I think people have actually told me that did meet him that he could explain complex audio engineering to normal boneheads like me and enjoy having such conversations.

Had developed 3 speaker stereo set up in the late 50's (after work at Bell Labs I think) before most people had stereo. Heard such a setup demo'd this summer with 60th anniversary Klipschorns spread a bit too far apart with a Belle in the center with the added benefit of delay and being able to electronically attenuate the center channel for the center. Originlly used passive volume control to cut back the center and no delay as that wasn't really available in the 50's - it was incredible how much better it sounded with the center. I think the Heresy was originally created for a smallish compact center fill speaker.

thats admirable.HE was definitly a genius,i would've have loved for him to explain all this to me.I just started getting my feet wet.I really want to understand the science of it.I always look to learn about thing i don't know. Now ,thanks to you ,it's a personal endeavor.I taught my self computer repair ,got certified for it.I also taught myself many other things.I took a electronic class in H.S{built a houseand car alarm from scatch,copper glad laminated boards and stuff}wish i didn't cut so many classes.i'm not to educated ,never went to college,but i'm very intelligent(sometimes).140 sumthing I.Q.Thanks for the info,you are very well spoken.I have horrible grammer+i hate typing,i'm trying to get better at it.Thank you

If you have any sources to share ,it will be greatly appreciated.