fed-ex strikes again

joessportster

I have never had a problem with UPS (knock on wood). But in 2005, FedEx screwed up 3 different shippments.

1.) FedEx crushed a vintage mcintosh C22 cabinet, by apparently placing a 55gal. leaky drum of oil on it. Took more than a month to resolve, and I lost the $30 shipping fee. FedEx paid for the insured amount, less shipping fee's. I was pissed off, but greatful to get something back.

2.) FedEx then crushed several Sid Dicken's memory blocks (around $80/pop) that I sent to my sister in law. But they paid off for the full insured amount, one month later.

3.) Finally, and the most painful FedEx screw up, was when they literally dropped each of my decorator cornwalls more than once. Smashing the corners to the point that the veneer is peeling away. Not to mention a deep smashing gouge along the top front facing edge on one of the speakers. The speaker packaging was pitiful (card board and bubble wrap), but in all honesty, due to the extent of the damage, nothing short of a cushioned steel vault would have saved them.

In my book, FedEx sucks. And when this sort of thing happens to the same person more than once, I say it's more than making a simple mistake. It's careless negligence.... And I don't mind saying that I was sweating bullets while waiting for my 3 boxes with vintage Mac gear to arrive from NOSValves. When the boxes did arrive, I was glad I purchased those overpriced custom shipping boxes from audio classics. One box had a smashed in corner, and its tubes had been knocked out of the sockets. The tubes were literally rolling around in the box. Yes, the tubes are meant to stay in place, and the BOXES were clearly labled CAUTION PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE. I even marked the box "THIS END UP", but that didn't matter to the dildo's at FedEx.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amp finally came in today after another round of phone calls and a manager at the local depot hanging up on me. finally called there customer advocate and she got on the problem and amp was delivered box looks fine i havent had a chance to open it yet just got home from a 16 hour shift, this is not my first experiance with fed-ex screwing things up b-4 i bought klipsch speak ers i was into vintage infinity and i bought 2 pair of kappa 9 speakers from new york(a 1 day trip according to fed-ex) after waiting nearly a week and listening to a million bullshit excuses i had to drive 50 miles to pick them up, the gorilla assigned to help load them in my van actually held one approx. 2 feet off the van floor and just dropped it and yes you guessed it they were demolished, they were able to crack solid oak wood approx 8 inches long

r-place yes we are all human and occassionally i do make a mistake, differance is i dont ask anyone else to pay for my mistake, the standard reply from all these scum bag shipping companys is its always someone elses fault, and to have the audacity to put an out and out lie saying no one was home to sign for it, im sorry that jerk should be looking for a new job right now.

i cant for the life of me figure out this sentiment today that says to accept poor performance in any form, if something or someone sucks, fails to perform as expected then they need to find a new profession, i dont care about there feelings or there problems i dont need there excuses perform or move on

im saying it again "THIS COUNTRY NEEDS AN ENEMA"

Joe

I have a FedEx business acount. I have one for what may be a strange

reason. I have had both fedEx and UPS destroy stuff BAD! The reason I

chose FedEx is they have always paid in full every time! Having said

that I am becoming more pissed of with Fedex latley, not with stuff I

ship but when people send me stuff. A lot of people do not realize when

you got to a Kinko's/FedEx and ship when it comes to me it's 99% of the

time it's an independent FedEx guy who buys a van and route. I know my

regular FedEx guy and he shows up between 2-3 p.m. like clockwork.

These SOB's that buy the route have given me nothing but BULLS@#T. They

have said they tried to deliver and nobody was home, when my wife was

sitting around all day like an idiot waiting. They also have admitted

after me raising a stink that they "just got tired" and went home and

would deliver another day. I tell people if they are going to send me

something FedEx do it at a regulat terminal do no do it through a

Kinko's! That's just my first hand dealings!

BTW! My uncle was a independent claims adjuster for over 20 years

working with FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.... and said FedEx was "Head and

Shoulders" above all others when it came to paying out a claim! He said

UPS had the worst record for not paying claims or paying just partial

claims and not the full paid value. I say paid value not insured

because if I buy a piece of gear and pay 300 bucks and insure it for

400 I have to show proof of payment and will only be paid 300.

...sigh...

Okay, let's review a few things.

FedEx is not just one company. FedEx Express, the guys that

deliver packages overnight via air, using Priority Overnight, Standard

Overnight, FedEx 2Day and Express Saver service are FedEx company

employees managed and supervised like any other company's

employees. If they screw up and don't do what they're supposed

to, their station manager reams them a new one.

FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery use independent contractors,

who own their own trucks and vans, to deliver freight shipments.

The FedEx Ground contractor is typically a local freight company with a

lot of trucks, while the FedEx Home Delivery guy is typically an

individual contractor who goes out on a limb and leases a van to drive

boxes around for FedEx. They are *NOT* company employees.

Packages shipped in the express environment are subject to

unbelieveable stress during their journey. The primary hubs have

literally miles of conveyor belts running at over 60 fps moving

literally millions of packages in the space of a few hours. If

you ship something using any express shipper, package it so it can

stand repeated dead stops from 40 mph as hydraulic rams move it from

one belt to another, so it can stand having possibly a couple hundreds

of pounds of other packages mashed against and on top of it, so the

internal components can survive dozens of G's of force as it's

sorted. I read earlier in this post that someone shipped a tube

amp *WITH THE TUBES IN THE SOCKETS*. That's just asking for every

tube to be broken when the recipient gets the shipment. Take out

the tubes, wrap them individually, duct tape them to a big piece of

cardboard, and ship them double boxed in a separate package.

You cannot buy "insurance" from FedEx. You can pay a

"declared value" fee. This is *NOT* insurance. It is a fee

you pay to establish that the value of the contents of the shipment are

in excess of $100. This fee raises the cap on any claim you might

file. Whether a claim is honored or not has nothing whatsoever to

do with whether you paid the declare value charge. If a shipment

is damaged, and FedEx agrees that they are responsible, if you do not

pay the declare value charge they are not oblicated to pay you any more

than $100 regardless of what was in the box. If you do pay the

declare value charge, and they agree they are responsible for damage,

they will pay a claim up to the maximum of the declared value you paid

for, or the true value of the product as represented by the product

invoice you will be asked to present, whichever is lower. If you

pay the declared value fee, and FedEx does not agree that they are

responsible, then they are under no obligation to pay you

anything. Declared value is *NOT* insurance.

Mr. Joessportster,

First of all, for being a 40 year old individual I highly recommend that you brush up on your your English as your posting is at the 5th grade level.

In reference to FDX, they have the best technology to track packages! You can call then up, and then can tell if their is a package going to be delivered to your home just by your address (regardless of the shipper). They do not even need to know who the shipper was. Secondly, the have caller id on all calls, so they know who you are and pull this information up, even if you are unlisted.

Lies and excuses are found everywhere. However, when it comes to transportation, FDX is the best. Big Brown (UPS) is behing in the air business, but ahead in the ground volume.

As a veteran of this industry and a shareholder, we often make some mistakes on our promised deliveries and apoligize. However, with the volume of freight we transport, we are number 1.

If you have any issues with a claim or need some assistance, PM a note.

John

FDX - Pilot

28 Years

I'll agree with SoundBites that the majority of delivery services do their best to make prompt, undamaged deliveries. I have received many packages some with and some without damage, luckily due to the packaging only one item arrived broken and it was promptly replaced (and palleted this time).

What I don't accept are personal attacks i.e. "brushing up on English". Standing up for your industry is one thing, but it doesn't need to deteriorate into an OT personal issue. BTW, "Let those who are without...cast the first stone...SoundBites you may wish to try your "spell check" before posting a shot about someone else's spelling..."their is a package " and "is behing in the air " are but two of your own foibles in English.

Hey Scorpsfan,

Don't trash SoundBites to hard he can't help it. "he admitted to being a pilot" Thats just the way they are.

SoundBites,

Its not nice to talk to people that way either. You should know better than that.

I have not had any real problems with FedEx. I think they do a good job for as many packages as they move on any given day. You just need to remember to pack your items where they can withstand a lot of stress.

One good way to pack is get a plastic bag with no holes and put some expanding foam in it and place it in the bottom of the box, it will fill up around your item. Then take another bag with the opening up and place it over your item and then fill the bag with expanding foam. Then as the foam expands close the box up, this will encase your item and make it where it will not move around. When your package arrives they just pull the top bag out of the box to get to the item. Just make sure the foam doesn't get on what your shipping.

Steve