Tubes better than SS??? BAH!

SilverSport

This is an interesting debate, I've got to find somewhere to listen to some tubes and incredibly expensive SS amps to see what the buzz is all about. I've never heard a tube amp, but I've heard my roomate's dad's NAD and Nakamichi Stasis SS with his Polks. Wondering what my chances are in being able to listen to a pair of Klipsch speakers w/either tube or a good SS amp? I live 30mins east of Toronto.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true tubers tend to suffer from RES in greater proportions?

("Remote Envy Syndrome") [:P]

Hey, I don't have a remote either, but I am in the remoters' camp on this one. Whose "labor of love" is it to have to stop what you're doing (or if doing nothing, get up and walk) to go adjust the stuff on your stereo? Seriously, that can't be a labor of love. It's just something you have to do and don't mind doing. But between the two (one w/a remote and one w/o a remote), if all other things are equal, you'd have to pick the one with a remote. That means remotes are a valuable feature, and for as cheaply as things can be made in China these days, it is inexcusable that tube equip. manufacturers do not make every one of their products remote-friendly.

I have the folowing remotes:

1...HDTV Sony

2...JVC DVD player

3...LG-3510A HD tuner

4...Key Digital Component Switcher

5...MY-HD 120 computer card

6...Denon 7.1 Receiver

7...Denon Stereo Amp

8...JVC D-VHS vcr

9...Sony VHS vcr

10...Sony TV

They are all piled on the coffee table. Woe is me.

JJK

By the way, I highly endorse losing the TV. Its clearly the most insideous and destructive architecture of our society, but I digress...

I don't watch TV either....

...but I attribute it to the big tube inside [:o][;)]

Btw, I like remotes because I can get everything turned on and ready to go, and then I can go get myself comfortable and assume the listening position before any sound comes out. Then it's just one click of the button and I sit back and enjoy. For the longest time the batteries in my remote were dead and I hated the music starting before I was sitting. It just ruins the experience for me...

Just for the record (pun intended), I can set my cue so the needle drops on the record in about 30 seconds. Plenty of time to get comfy in my seat and NOTHING is better before a tune then hearing the sound of the needle droping on the vinyl. PFFTT(sp?).[:D]

JJK - Get yourself a Pronto. One touch screen remote for all.

My husband's employer bought one and didn't feel like learning about & programming it. Gave it to hubby. For me, it was like 10 years worth of Christmas's, birthdays, 4th of Julys (with good 'works), and New Years Eve - all rolled into one big joy! [ip]

I don't have a remote for any of my components, but I surely don't mind wheeling my chair from my desk over to change the volume and such. It is not overly inconvenient, sure sometimes when I'm working on a project or doing an assignment its a small hassle to go over and adjust something but its only a 5-6feet travel for me.... not complaining.

I don't have a remote for any of my components, but I surely don't mind wheeling my chair from my desk over to change the volume and such.

I have to go into the next room to change the volume or flip an LP, through a door that has to be kept closed to keep the cats off my LP player. Not sure anyone can top that one.

Speaking of remotes, when staying in hotels, bring along a few alcohol wipes before using the remote.

I've thought about this a bit (cuz I'm nutty) and compared to the bathroom door knobs - the remote has got to be the winner in the potentially seriously gross department.

TMI, I know.... But think about it. And you know darned well the maids don't clean those things! Ewww!

Speaking of remotes, when staying in hotels, bring along a few alcohol wipes before using the remote.

I've thought about this a bit (cuz I'm nutty) and compared to the bathroom door knobs - the remote has got to be the winner in the potentially seriously gross department.

TMI, I know.... But think about it. And you know darned well the maids don't clean those things! Ewww!

I usually just lick them clean before using.[:P] No wonder I get sick every time I stay at a hotel!!![+o(][+o(]

LOL! I wonder how many hairs we've eaten from restaurant food over our lifetimes. Must be good for the immune system, though.

Wow, I had no idea. From what I've seen, remote technology is so prevalent, it's almost cheap enough to pick up in dollar stores. I had no idea adding remote control features had any effect whatsoever on sound quality. They turn the power on/off. They turn the volume up/down. They are not a pass-through for signal from component to component (at least that's what I thought).

My Chineese made Shanling PP monoblocks have a pretty good preamp section w/a remote control.

The pre in front

That looks like something that ought to serve ice cream out the front portal.

It does...LOL,that creamy tube midrange as well as the cone in the form of rock solid bass..for tube gear.