Blueberry Owners - What Tubes Have Worked Well For You?

garymd

I've recently had some issues with noisy 6DJ8s in my Blueberry Xtreme. I made the mistake of selling an original Seiman's Cca to another forum member and since then, I've had nothing but trouble. It took a trip to CA and great customer service by Mark to discover the crackling sound in my right channel was due to the 6DJ8 tube(s) I was using.

I successfully used a Phillips Miniwatt Pinch-Waist 6922 for about 6 months before it began to crackle and become microphonic. I then tried a Bugle Boy that Craig sent me which also crackled. Because I tried so many tubes in that slot and still had noise in the right channel with all inputs, I thought there was something wrong with the unit. I was wrong. As soon as Mark replaced the Bugle Boy with his stock EI 6DJ8, the noise went away completely. The unit was now dead quiet but after some critical listening, I noticed a significant difference in sound. If I'd never heard the unit with a Cca or PW 6922, I'd have been very happy. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I recently purchased a NOS Telefunken Cca type tube from Brent-Jesse tubes and as soon as I installed it, the crackling came back, this time in both channels. I immediately pulled it but after discussing this with Mark yesterday, he advised me to try it again, leaving the unit on for a day or two before pulling it. He was right. Within 2 hours, the noise subsided to the point that I couldn't hear it from my listening position. It's still there but only audible about 3 feet from the speaker. The improvement in sound quality is huge. Better transparency, more musical, richer tone, more detailed, etc., etc.

I tend to keep my pre on 24/7 anyway so tonight when I get home, I'm hoping the crackling will be all but gone. Probably wishful thinking but I can certainly live with something that cannot be heard from the listening position. I just hope it stays this quiet over the long haul. My PW 6922 did not.

My question is:

What are others using in the 6DJ8 slot in their Blueberrys/BBXtremes? Has anyone else had noise problems with certain types of tubes in that slot? I've heard from a couple other owners that Orange Globes work well. Also, what 12AT7s are you guys using? Those are next on my list.

Thanks in advance, and thank you Mark for all the help you've given me over the past few weeks. Regardless of the issues I've encountered, it's still the best sounding preamp I've ever owned!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been very happy with a Bugle Boy. No noise issues at all. I have had a Seimans CCa on my desk here for a few months and haven't felt a compelling need to put it in.

Maybe I'm afraid to get jaded like you.[;)]

Would it be worth the trouble of taking the case off the BBx?

In the other positions I have a Tele !2AX7 and a pair of Mullards.

Rick

The Bugle Boy was the worst, noise wise in the 6DJ8 slot. Maybe my electrical system is cursed.[6]

I currently have an Amperex 12AX7 which I prefer over the Telefunken. I occasionally swap. The Amperex is more detailed while the Tele has more bass.

Thanks Rick. Anyone else?

Ah, yes it would be worth it Rick. If you have a Cca that's quiet, it's like butta.[;)]

Gary, I feel your pain. Its ironic that you posted about this subject because I have been chasing a very noisy flutter (right channel only) for about a week now. Turns out that the culprit was not my Peach but my Holland Amperex 6922 PQ (non, pinch-waist) that I like so much in the Blueberry stage (6DJ8 slot). I knew it was either the source or the Peach because I was getting it in front and rear channels (I sometimes use the Peach for both front and rear feeds). I will try Mark's suggestion and leave it on for awhile.

I hate to say it, but I find my Siemens CCa to be the quietest tube I currently have. That's why I run two of them in the noisier SuperLoz mode. That being said, I swapped out a standard, non-CCa Telefunken back into the Blueberry stage and was surprised how little noise there is. But, with the Tele, you sacrifice some of the upper end - as opposed to Amperex, etc.

As for Amperex, I am about at the point where I will no longer be using any of those for my Peach. They are either too noisy or too unrefined (i.e. slightly "harsh" with the K-77). As for Orange Globes, they are quieter than most of the other Amperex I have tried, but again - a little unrefined - compared to better tubes.

Another option is a regular Siemens (non-CCa). Dave has my regular Siemens in his Blueberry 6DJ8, and it seems to be pretty quiet. Since the CCa Siemens are a pretty penny, I would look for a regular Siemens, gold-pin.

Carl.

Gary,

Did you clean the pins? I know we spend a lot of money on these old tubes and don't want to ruin the labels, but I found cleaning the pins to be more important than the writing on the tube. If you look at the pins closely, they may not look dirty, but they are oxidized.

Give it a try. It sounds like it may be your problem.

I have tried a lot of different 6DJ8. I would say anything but the Amperex, PQ, gold pin, D getter, A-frame, BB, blah, blah, blah. When you do actually get a pair that is ot noisey or gassing they sound horrible to me. I can't believe all of the hype they get. I've tossed over 20 of them. Granted most all were from ebay, but they all tested fine and then with south (taking one of my $16K amps with it once) in no time....and that's in severel different types of gear.

I HATE THOSE TUBE.

OK, so I went over the edge a bit, maybe that will help offset all that false praise they get.

Guys,

I never had a Blueberry, and so I don't know if it operates any differently, but all the tubes that seem to be a problem (mentioned above) work fine in my Peach. In fact the Amperex BBs are what works best for me of all I have tried. Best bang for the buck I found.

I have had a few noisy and microphonic tubes. That just goes with the territory. The worst problem I had was just poor sounding tubes. Poor purchase choice as in let's experiment and my fault. As far as crackling goes, maybe onceor twice. I cleaned the pins and it went away.

I am using an AMperex PQ in my Peach and it sounds great. The only problem is that occasionally (2 times) I have turned teh Peach on in teh morning and after the delay the tunes plays for a little while then cuts out. When I swap in one of the Yugo tubes it fires right back up. This has only happened with the tuner and when the unit was cold.

Does this mean that I am in for trouble with my pinched waist? It is still under warranty. I will really miss it if I have to send it back. It is as good as everyone says.

Are there any new tubes that sound as good as the CCa's and PQ's?

Chris

IN MY BB SOCKET FAVORITE ALT.

Telef. ECC803s 12AX7 Telef. ECC83 smooth plt

(2) Telef. ECC801s 12AT7 Haven't tried anything else.

1950's RCA 12X4 12X4 Haven't tried anything else.

(white lable tube)

* Telef. CCa's 6DJ8 Valvo E88CC (red label), or

Bugle Boy 6DJ8, or Mullard 10M- 6DJ8

* My personal favorite leans toward the Telef. CCa's, but the Valvo runs a VERY close 2nd. I've still not tried the PW, but will get around to it eventually. Just to satisfy my curiousity, I'll have to try one. But, I've become somewhat picky about who I buy my tubes from.

Peach user here..

I have had a TON of noise crackling issues with Bugle Boy 6dj8's. But I love the sound from them........... Have about 6 on hand and they all crackle in some way.

Even one of the EI Golds that came with the Peach crackles on me.

I thought it was the Peach also until I started finding quieter tubes.

I recently got a pair of Brimar ecc88's that sound good and are stable and I got a CCa that currently wins the prize for lowest noise and nicest sound.

I believe I have found what I am looking for with the Siemens CCa in my V1 slot and a pair of Bugle Boys or the Brimars in my V2/V3 slots. The same tubes that are noisy in my V1 slot dont show the noise when they are placed in the V2/V3 slots.

Bob

Gary,

I use electrical contact cleaner and a brush similar to what's been shown above. I'll tell you right off, the labels are going to be wiped right off. I write the name back on the tube with a sharpy marker when the tube is cleaned and dry.

I've tried being really careful and only getting the pins wet, but that never seems to work out.

Personally, as long as I know the information, I don't care about the labels all that much. It is a little dissatisfying though to destroy some of those classic logos. They do look nice, and are a piece of history.

Find the cheapest tube you have that crackles, and give the cleaning a try. Let us know.

I have some deoxit with the brush in the cap. I'll try that tonight.

Anyone have a Seimans Cca they want to sell? The Telefunken started acting up again last night. Goes from left channel to right channel then back again. Sometimes both. I also need some good 12AT7s. The GEC A2900s I was using aren't compatible which is a shame. They sounded great. After more listening last night, it definitely doesn't sound like it used to with the GECs and PW 6922 in there, even crackling.

Thanks for all the comments. It helps a lot.

Anyone have a Seimans Cca they want to sell? The Telefunken started acting up again last night. Goes from left channel to right channel then back again. Sometimes both. I also need some good 12AT7s. The GEC A2900s I was using aren't compatible which is a shame. They sounded great. After more listening last night, it definitely doesn't sound like it used to with the GECs and PW 6922 in there, even crackling.

I believe I have a few of them (3 or 4). I'll check when I get home after work, and let ya know.

Anyone

have a Seimans Cca they want to sell? The Telefunken started

acting up again last night. Goes from left channel to right

channel then back again. Sometimes both. I also need some

good 12AT7s. The GEC A2900s I was using aren't compatible which

is a shame. They sounded great. After more listening last

night, it definitely doesn't sound like it used to with the GECs and PW

6922 in there, even crackling.

Gary, Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I sent a PM about

the last spare Cca I had. Must be it didn't go through. Captn Bob

bought it,and Robster got the other.Good Luck in making your Blueberry

happy again.

Larry

Thanks Gilbert!!! Can I call you tonight?

I just called Brent Jesse [;)]

Say hi to Brent for me. We've become buddies over the past few months.[;)]

He has a PW for sale! It was mine.[:(] Maybe it'll work in yours. Seems what works for others doesn't necessarily work for me. I know it sounded great though.