interesting klipsch cinema speaker ebay

seti

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-K-44e-K-78-K-55-Squawkers-Tscm-Mcm-4b-Rare_W0QQitemZ5861515849QQcategoryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry about the long link but this browser doesn't have the link option.

Late night insomnia search found this interesting klipsch must be from the pro line. Very interesting but not looking its best but the price is good so far. Wonder what the WAF factor is on this speaker.

post-15544-13819281320478_thumb.jpg

When I first started reading around this forum a little while ago, I always wondered what the WAF stood for... perhaps some technical audio terminology, and then my curiosity reached an all time high and I googled it (I firmly believe google holds the answer to every question in life these days, i mean what can ya google and not get a result?) ... and found myself laughing at the answer. Wonder who came up with it

When I first started reading around this forum a little while ago, I always wondered what the WAF stood for... perhaps some technical audio terminology, and then my curiosity reached an all time high and I googled it (I firmly believe google holds the answer to every question in life these days, i mean what can ya google and not get a result?) ... and found myself laughing at the answer. Wonder who came up with it

I think Percy Wilson, of the Gramophone magazine in England, originated that. Then again, it may be one of thsoe acronyms that arose in many places at once.

The bass bin is NOT a jubilee. It is a K-horn bass bin with the equivalent of its own false corner built onto it, with horizontal bracing between the bass bin itself and the sides to eliminate some of the vibrations inherent when using a single sheet of 3/4" plywood for the walls of the false corner. Basically, it's a K-horn that doesn't need a corner to sit in.

As HDBR pointed out, it's a K-horn bin.

The K44E really thumps hard in it, I've used these in a dance club where they were driven with a 600W/4R rated amp (the K-horn bottoms were on the floor in concrete corners). Best bass I ever heard out of K-horns.

Pick-up only in LA, seller will ship drivers only. The four K55M ought to be worth something. You could buy a couple of K77 horns from BEC to put on the K78 magnet structures. Don't see the K44E to often though, might have to wait a while for another.

WAF on this speaker puts it in the garage.

And me with it if I bring it home.

Funny that I sent him a message the day the auction started asking if he would ship just the parts. He never answered me, but it looks like the auction description was edited to vaguely say that he will. I specifically asked him about the drivers, horns and crossover parts.

• 5 months later...

"The side panel comes off? Is that what we're seeing?"

Yes, there is a side panel on the TSCM. Remove it and then a couple of inches away is the standard Klipschorn side panel with the low-pass portion of the AK type crossover network.

"Dennis, do you perhaps happen to have the specs of a K44?"

Sorry, never measured one, it looks just like a K43 though.

The K43 I've measured were around Vas~10.5 cu ft, Fs~31hz, Qts~0.25, but I have no idea as to what is different on the K44.