Advice on RF-7 purchase

mtber101

I found two dealers around me that have RF-7's still in stock. The one dealer has a new in box pair (black) for 1600. The other dealer has has a demo pair for 1400 in cherry. However they have a chip taken out of the corner of one from shipping and some surface scratches on the other. Also my center and rb-75's are all cherry. What would you all do?

• Moderators

If you can live with the chip and scratches get the cherry , how long were they floor models? I just like the cherry, they might take something off ,more than 200?

Don't know about th RB 83's, I'm sure more will jump in soon with advice.

Well the owner isn't going to go below 1450 (including tax) on the cherry 7's. The dealer with the black ones wants 1600(including tax).

How do you all think the new RF-83's would match?

DeanG... I'm kind of thinking the same as you.... only real problem is black vs cherry. I'm also guessing you're the guy that does the crossovers? if so do you have more than one option for the rc-7 and rf-7's? What kind of money would I be looking at? Thanks a bunch.

Hold 12 $100.00 bills up to his face and say I'll take them you take this. See what happens. Nothing worse for a retailer to keep old stock on his floor and trying to squeeze 200 bucks more when someone flahes money in their face. Never hurts to try. Tell him you will pay the tax too...only if he asks though.,

scooter

I wouldn't rush to buy the 7's right now, until I heard the 83's. I know you feel like you're in a pickel because they've been discontinued and you don't want to miss the boat, but believe me, you'll still be able to get the 7's even 3 months from now. Don't feel rushed into purchasing them. If you're anything like me, forking over an extra 200 - 300 bucks to upgrade (if it is indeed an upgrade to go from the 7's to the 83's) is nothing in comparison to the dissatisfaction of knowing you would have been happier with a different set of speakers. I guess my point is...just wait a little longer...til you can hear the 83's and compare the sound AND the price to the 7's. I agree with an earlier post, neither deal is a GREAT deal on a set of discontinued speakers, but I have a feeling you'll be able to at least match that deal somewhere a month from now. There are a lot of 7's out there and they are geared towards a specific type of customer, I don't think they'll disappear tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys. I would like to throw some money at him...but I don't want to drive an hour and a half and come back empty handed.

Oddly_even you're pretty much right on. Fact of the matter is I don't really need the 7's right now. Small apartment....just want to make sure I can get them in the future if the 83's aren't going to match very well.

If you get the RF-83s, then you will need the matching center. The front three speakers shoud match as closely as possible.

The RF-83s have three woofers in parallel. It is likely to give a difficult impedance curve for an amp to follow. Only time will tell if this is right though.

In your position, I would take the RF-7s and have DeanG mod the crossovers.

Bill

It's hard to say how available the RF-7's are because I went with my Uncle to 3 dealers to try and find him a pair. He has spent a good deal of time with my RF-7's and now wants a pair now that he has the money and heard that they are being discontinued.

We could not find a pair. The dealers told us that there is none to be had from where they can order them from and that they still haven't even got the new stuff in because it's later than they were told. So the dealer said no stock available and it's discontinued that they can't even order them if they wanted to. My Uncle isn't happy. We are going to try some dealers out of state and see what we can find because he wants a brand new pair and said he doesn't want to go for ebay or audiogon that he wants to pick them up so they don't get damage in shipping.

I talked to two people who compared the RF-7's to the RF-83's and they both prefered the RF-7's because they said the RF-83 are more tamer than the RF-7's so the center presence isn't as "I'm there" or as big (wide) of sound, but that the RF-83's are still very nice sounding speakers.

I checked online of a few popular places to get RF-7's and none of them have them either and show they no longer carry it.

I did see a refurb. RF-7's pair at the Klipsch Ebay Store.

I purchased mine brand new just in the nick of time, on Jan. 23. I really didn't want to get them just yet, but with the new Reference Series looming I decided to go for it. I paid a bit more than most posters recommended ($1750 in Daytona, FL), but I wasn't going to risk not getting these babies by haggling over a couple hundred bucks.

I suspect more RF7's will become available as some owners upgrade to the new RF83's. I'm sure the RF83's will sound great too. Looks like I'll have to get to Daytona for a listen...

Jason

Also how would the new RF-83's match up with rc-7, rs-7's and rb-75's?

Given what I've read from some members' preliminary reports of listening to the RF-83s, my "guess" is that you would hear a difference with the RF-83s. After all, Klipsch has gone to a different type of driver on the upper end, and it sounds as though the speaker is somewhat "revoiced" on the upper end. Much as Heritage and Reference have a different sound, again - my "guess" is that you would notice the difference.

I would follow Bill's advice unless you plan on also switching out your center to the new line.

Carl.

• 5 months later...

so it seems i'm in the same situation now except 5 months later. i own the rb-75 and the rc-7. i've been thinking about getting the rf-7s but don't really have the money right now. i will have it in a couple of months though.

so my question is ... what are your guy's thoughts on how long the rf-7s will be around to purchase?

the online store "acoustic sound design" has them for $1600 plus shipping w/ a full 5 year warranty. i'm not sure how long that will last though.

jacob