Best solid state amp for the dollar.

Klipschguy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

You should be able to find a used Classe Seventy for close to $500. I used to have one of these amps driving a pair of Cornwalls and was very impressed with it. The Classe sound has been compared to "tube sound" -- very smooth, sweet midrange, but a little light in the bass area. I found the model Seventy to have those kind of qualities. The bass wasn't as deep as some other amps, but what was there was very tight and controlled. The rest of the sound was wonderful. Unless you are a huge bass freak, I think you would be very happy with this amp. I can't say how it compares to the other amps recommended, but I do think it would perform quite well. I give it a strong recommendation and I have used it with Cornwalls.

Andy, I would really recommend going to AudiogoN for used amps and preamps. I see Bryston units come up in there all the time. Right now, there is a Monarchy Audio SM-70 for $450. It's in excellent condition and from original owner with original box and manual. Take a look at the ad here:

MONARCHY AUDIO SM-70 For Sale

To be honest, I really dont see the advantage of high watts via your Cornwalls; indeed, if anything, you really want to look at a good class A amplifier with little feedback - The Cornwalls have a bent toward sounding forward and agressive with poor material and amplification. For 450, this amp sounds like a deal. I think you will probably find this more than enough watts. Indeed, there is a review at Soundstage where the SM=70 was actually USED with the Cornwall to good results. The SM-70 is also usable with a Creek passive preamp which is a cheap way to get EXCELLENT sound, and since the SM-70 and Cornwalls are very sensitive, it seems like a fine match. Take a look:

Monarchy Audio SM-70 Soundstage Review w/Cornwall

Although I have not heard this amp personally, I would imagine it would be MORE than enough to drive the Cornwall and then some. The main think you want to avoid is any grain in the sound. You dont want an amp that gives you listening fatigue, and to be honest, the Cornwall can easily go over the line with mediocre recordings, something I dont feel is stressed enough in this forum.

I have used AudiogoN several times and have nothing but positive comments. Indeed, I just bought my Cornwalls through there!

kh

f>s>

Mobile,

Did you get the ones in Ashville ($650)? I was looking at those as well. Could you post some pictures of them? If I'm not mistaken, they were supposedly beat up cosmetically. Anytway, I hope you enjoy them and are able to post your thoughts on them once you've had a chance to get aquainted. Smile.gif

Mike

Andy,

While I was using the Monarchy with my Cornwalls I could easily get >100dB continuous @ ~17' with the volume control on a line stage (Monarchy model 33) at ~11:00 position.

I too have bought stuff through AudiogoN with great success. In fact, I am considering buying the SM-70 at AudiogoN to bi-amp my K-horns with (but if you are interested in a used one go for it! I can wait 'till another one comes along).

The biggest advantage to buying a new one from Monarchy is that you can return it if you don't like it. If you decide to give the Monarchy a try you could also give Mr. Poon a call and see if he will cut you a deal (he did for me Smile.gif)!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 10-25-2001 at 10:24 AM

Well, I did indeed get the Cornwalls from Asheville but whoever told you they were all banged up was not quite on the mark; actually, despite a few small marks here and there, they are in amazingly good condition with factory painted black over birch cabinets. It's the 1977Designer Series with the optional riser and grills (Grills are in excellent shape). But the main thing was my surprise at the condition of the drivers. They look in perfect condition and the inside looks like it was preserved in a time capsule!

I will be posting pictures and a review. My bet is that all Cornwall owners will not be disappointed by this page which should be rather comprehensive in nature.

kh

f>s>

I know ill get shot for this one. but i run 2 LaScalas off my Carver M-400....yes the cube....i get great sound..and the amp is silent...no fan...nothing..and it stays cool....no heat. great amp. have had it for like 20 some years and no probs. BUILT LIKE A TANK for sure. amp AND speaker protection. i don't think they have them new (well duh) but i think you could pick one up on ebay...just a thought from the caver/klipsch combo....(inside joke) well good luck

Rob

25 watts is plenty for the big old horns -

my Class A Pioneer M-22 is 30 watts per side, dual mono amp with dual transistor differentials built onto one chassis. It is 2-stage differential push-pull Darlington connection, direct coupled OCL. But it has plentiful negative feedback in the 1st stage. So the Monachy, without negative feed-back, gets my vote for SS amp, see if the guy will give you some kind of listening guarantee for a couple of days -

although I have heard nothing but good things for the Brystons ...

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

To those of you voting on Mccormacks' DNA .5 & 1 I very much agree. The sound is crisp & clean from the bottom to the top, and you can buy inexpensively now and later get some of the new mods that Steve Mccormack has come out with in the last few years. (aka A & B revisions). This is what I plan on getting for the thirties as soon as someone will take my Carver. I also have to put in a good word for audiogon.com as I hang around with a local audiophile group here in "the RED STICK" and we all use audiogon almost exclusively for used equipment, and have never been dissapointed.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Just gotta pie in here. Not sure if you plan strictly 2 channel use or if home theatre might also interest you. The Marantz SR8000 deserves your research even if you don't want home theatre. It's two channel direct mode is nothing short of awsome. Beautiful match for Cornwalls with a smooth almost tube-like sound. Can be had for less than $1,000 USD . Great remote also. I'm currently using it to drive my Cornwall/Heresy HT and enjoy it's two channel capabilities even more than the HT.

Some interesting new suggestions. I will say that the Adcoms / Yamahas / Carvers of the world are really not in the same class as the Bryston, Classe, McCormack, Monarchy, or even B&K. Adcom, while offering a lot of amp for the money, is really a much more grainy offering, especially the older more famous series, such as the GFA-555, 545, and 535. Unlike the later amps, these early ADCOMs use bipolar transistors, which are a bit more harsh in the treble than the MOSFET counterparts of later years. On the other hand, some say they offered a more clear presentation, something I am not sure I agree with. Actually, sonically, ADCOM just does not measure up.

And if the ADCOM is grainy, then manufacturers like CARVER are in another league. I always thought the Carver designs to err way on the unmusical side, and with something as efficient as a Klispch Cornwall, would be complete overkill and grain central (comparatively).

That is why you must really attempt to get the most sophisticated solid state amp you can, with an excellent power supply and a heavy class A bias. I dont see any real need for high power as 25-40 good watts would be more than ample.

In fact, something like the Bryston, to be honest, is probably overkill as are most of the amps on the lists here. I am listening as I type to a 14wpc Triode Input, EL-84 amp by EICO via my Linn turntable. I just threw on a band called Feedtime from Australia which can get extremely heavy with gut wrenching guitar. The impact and power of the bass and kick drum was amazing through the 98dB Cornwalls placed in the corners. Of course, this amp has extremely good output transformers but most in these forums would think 14w is wimpy and not capable of powerful bass. I can honestly say that a subwoofer seems practically superfluous right now as I listen.

Still, I realize that many seem to feel the need to have solid state; I was there once as well. I can only say that vinyl, tubes, and horns are seemingly a match made in heaven. In fact, I have never seen such a speaker MADE for vinyl and tubes as the Cornwall, at least, not in my house.

kh

f>s>

I must say, as a pre-owner, the GFA 585 Limited Edition was something to say the least(dual mono 565's in "1"). I powered a pair of Khorns through all Adcom 2 channel(yes I can't afford Mac or Levinson), but it NEVER sounded "GRAINY", powerful yes, with plenty of "bass" and depth.

If I recall from 2001 Klipsch tour pics, some Heritage had Adcom power sources(in Hope), says alot for PWK and basics. Sorry, not a tube fan($$$$$$$), yet I hear about tubes and "music", but can honestly say never heard much of a diff from SS.

I did use a 535 with a pair of Hersey II's, bridged through a Pioneer VSX9900S Receiver at the time(92) with the Khorns and 585. I then upgraded to the GFA 545II with no complaints from the Hersey II's. My only

complaint with Adcom was the GCD575...sucked, replaced several till the GCD700. I used the 500II preamp, G? speaker selector box even...ADCOM...bang for the buck!!

IMO.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 11-01-2001 at 03:06 AM

I appreciate your feedback on the ADCOM gear. As I said, this notion of grain and the perception of a rather ragged top end comes with exposure to other products and a honing of one's system that reveals these traits. These are not obvious, glaring faults to the average person, who might not even perceive them without exposure to better gear.

I have owned a few of the ADCOM products through the 80s and early 90s. This included the famous ADCOM GFA-555 (I had this beast for something like 9 years as a backup) and GFA-535 you mention as well as their little GFP-555 preamp. I also had the 565 preamp for awhile(this unit was a major step up in transparency from the 555). And you are right, the ADCOM gear DOES offer some serious sound for the buck. However, in comparison to the next level of amp and preamp, many of which are NOW on the used market for under a $1000, the ADCOM gear is just not as refined. The 555 had a very deep soundstage and a heft that was not found in hardly any of the midfi back then; it even had a damn good midrange. Put up against the average competition, and the East Brunswick, NJ company's amps really sounded on another plane. I will completely agree here. Unfortunately, side by side with B&K, their biggest competition in their price league sound-wise, seemed to reveal some of these negative traits; ultimately, the B&K ST-140/ST-202/EX-442 were more musical sounding amplifiers. Interestingly, your ADCOM comments made me dig to find some shots I had taken to sell my GFA-555. That amp had huge power filter caps and the storage was so much so, that when turning the amp off with a signal running through it, the sound would continue on up to 15-20 seconds before fading out in a fizz.

If interested, take a look at the interior of my ADCOM GFA-555 - notice the beer can sized caps and the big torroidal transformer in the rear center. One of the ADCOM advantages was the simplicity of their gear. Also, one could achieve some better sound by playing with wire choices, cap selections, and other parameters, something that was not lost on Muscial Concepts, who made a healthy living modifying ADCOM gear. Indeed, their GFA-555 mod got a review in Absolute Sound long ago.

ADCOM GFA-555 Interior View

I didnt mean to step on toes here but I really must emphasize that the ADCOM stuff, while offering a great bang for the buck, is just not on the same sonic plane as other items mentioned above.

And lordy, if you cant hear the difference between a good tube amp and an ADCOM, then something else is disguising it; they couldnt be any more different.

kh

f>s>

This is just about the weirdest forum I have ever been on... It almost seems as though people do not actually READ the posts or assimilate the information within the skull cap. We are talking about USED gear here in comparison, and one can get say a GREAT used SS amp that blows the ADCOM out of the water. Lord, the McCormick DNA .5 can be found for LESS than $800 used and will make the ADCOM sound plebian with an order of magnitude increase in finesse while still offering good slam. The used Forte 4 can be found for as low as $350 and it is far better than the ADCOM gear. Ditto with the Bryston 3b, the B&K EX-442, and the Classe models. ADCOM is is just not sonically in that grouping, and that grouping is now available USED for LESS than a new ADCOM!

I am wondering how many people who have OWNED ADCOM have also had extensive experience with the other amps? This forum is filled with opinions, and there is surely nothing wrong with that, as we all have them. But it seems the amount of exposure to good, quality gear is sorely lacking, yet the opinions comparing them, especially tube amps, are tenfold. The armchair equipment critic is the soup de jour via the Klipsch Forum.

kh

f>s>

With all do respect Mobile, as one of the troglodytes, surprise, surpise, I have listened to many amps, tubes included. I think Adcom makes a nice amp and I don't think their amps get blown away by other makers.

If you don't like Adcom's, I can respect that. Don't assume that the rest of us have to draw the same conclusions you have.