How Much Snow Did You Get?

garymd

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I envy you guys with all that snow. I know some of you hate it but snow here where I live is a treat.

m00n, are you nutz? You'd changed your mind quick if you spent a winter in Minot, ND like I did.

Well sure, but... When we are lucky to see even 1" a year if that a good dumping would be great.

It's fun when you get a huge dumping and can miss work/school and take your kids sledding or build a snowman. Unfortunately, my kids are grown and they had the streets cleared right away. It was a wet, heavy snow that melted on the streets pretty quickly.

I must say that the ride in this morning was beautiful. I stayed off of the beltway so I could drive a more scenic route. It was gorgeous. I think the wife and I will take a nice long walk this evening.

I lived up in Maine for a little over 2 years, went through 3 winters. Yes it was a pain in the butt when you missed the news the night before and woke up to 10 inches of snow and the streets were plowed right across your driveway and your running late to work. But I didn't hate it like some people up there did. I wondered why some of them stayed as much as they would say they hated winter.

I am with you m00n, I really like the snow and I don't really get to see that much of it either.

Steve

I see it's kind of hard to tell from the pictures I posted.

Where I live (Northford, CT) we're in some kind of weird little

eddy. When storms come in from the right (wrong?) direction,

things kind of swirl around my neighborhood and we get more snow than

areas a half mile or so on down the road. I measured an average

of 24" in the middle of the back yard, and up to 35 inches on my back

deck (where the picture of Nick playing in the snow was taken.)

All very, very light fluffy snow, can't make snowmen, snowballs or sled

on it. Temp is supposed to go up to almost 50 in a couple days,

with nights below freezing, so we might be able to go tobbagganning

(?spell?) tthhiiss wweeeekkeenndd.

The college where I work is on top of Lookout Mtn. Georgia, almost the highest point (okay, it isn't that high), and got about two to three inches. Where I live in the valley, we got almost zero. Up in the 40s today, but they closed the school for the day. I was already there before I knew they had closed. Most of the city and county schools around here closed as well.

After growing up in Illinois and living in Wisconsin for a few years, this sure seemed pretty silly.

Bruce

Gary sez - "I stayed off of the beltway so I could drive a more scenic route. It

was gorgeous. I think the wife and I will take a nice long walk this

evening."

GOOD IDEA, now theres a guy who knows how to turn lemons into lemonade. Just dont' eat any yellow snow in the process!

Michael

Well, it caused some problems. So here I sit again in the Columbia Airport, waiting for a 7:50 flight. I almost had my wish, I could taste it, and I actually did in the form of a leftover burger and potatoe salad from yesterday. The Flight to DC was delayed 2 1/2 hours. All flights from DC to Vegas were cancelled. All flights originating from Columbia to Vegas with United were full. My boss was on the plane. I leave him a message. I go home, surprise the wife and kids. We're high fivin' and sayin' "yeah, we pulled it off." The boss hits me on the nextel around 4:00....."where ya at, bud?" I'm explaining that whole it's their fault and ServiceMAster Travel confirmed we get a refund and all that thing. I'm just about to the finish line when he says, "well, call Shelley and get her to book you on another carrier, let me know when you get here." which is gonna be 12:00 VEGAS time, making me awake for 24 hrs by the time it's all said and done. All this and, so as not to hijack(no pun intended) the thread, WE DIDN"T EVEN GET ANY SNOW IN SOUTH CAROLINA.

The college where I work is on top of Lookout Mtn.

Georgia, almost the highest point (okay, it isn't that high), and got

about two to three inches. Where I live in the valley, we got almost

zero. Up in the 40s today, but they closed the school for the day. I

was already there before I knew they had closed. Most of the city and

county schools around here closed as well.

After growing up in Illinois and living in Wisconsin for a few years, this sure seemed pretty silly.

Bruce

Heck we had 20 inches here and my college and most of the High Schools in NJ were OPEN

My campus wasn't even fully lowed either! there was that semi plowed

where it turns to ice and becomes even more dangerous to walk on.