Power Conditioner(s) Information,...

126mhz

I have soft starts for all my tube gear but I think I might be able to benifit from a power conditioner for my main system which I have recently begun using for home movies. Somtimes I hear a few brief and light "Pops" once in awhile for a brief time right after I pwoer my system up. Currently I am using a ST70 as an amp and a reworked Carver C4000 Pre amp and a Toshiba 3960 player. (Of course I have evreything driving a pair of LaScalas with a Carver true sub). I'm happy with the set up but it was a friend who told me bad, (unclean power) was the "Bug" that caused the little "Pops" I've mentioned.

Monster is currently ofering a Hts 3500 MkII for a final price of $149.00, (after a fifty buck rebate) is this Monster worth having? Do you guys think it will put an end to my infrequent "Pop" issue?

Thanks as always,

What else is on the circuit that feeds those outlets. If there is something with a large motor (i.e., compressor on a refrigerator etc) sharing that circuit, that could be causing the pops.

Other possibilities include marginal tubes or a marginal cap on the power supply. Have you ruled out a pop on the CD itself (if it were, then it would happen consistently on re-play).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom/others, please elaborate on these pops and other loads on the circuits if you can.

Here is my current situation. I don't recall ever hearing a pot when listening to audio CDs or Vinyl in two channel. When I watch movies (DVDs), Concert DVDs or listen to multi channel music I will hear a pop/crack from time time. I think, but not sure it is coming from my surrounds not mains.

When I built a dedicated room in my basement I ran two 20 amp circuits. One powers just the equipment - all the equipment including sub and projector. The other handles all the lights, outlets, dimmers etc. The circuit that powers the equipment has a Furman PL8-PRO-II Power Conditioner, 20 Amp w/ LEDs installed. All the equipment is connected to the furman first http://www.furmansound.com/products/pro/pwr_cond_seq/cond/_20a/plpro_2.php

The LEDs on the furman consistently read a bit on the high side at 124 or 126.

I live in a rural area so I have a well pump and regulating diaphragm. I am not sure but I seem to recall that the pops happen close to the well pump running or when the pump diaphragm reaches it upper or lower limits. The whole pump thing is on a 220 circuit.

So, if my equipment is all on its own circuit and connected to the furman what might be causing my pops?

Sorry to hijack the thread...but this might be related.

Thanks!

See I have to rule out the amp for a could of reasons;

1. It has brecently been redone with all new caps etc. as well as a brand new matched quad of JJ tubes.

2. The same (once in a while small "Pop" is present with four other amplifiers I've switched into the system, two of which are near new solid state.

As far at the what else draws on the household breaker, the living room light.

Time will tell because I will not stop until I get to the bottom of it.

Thanks fo rht input,

If you're going to invest in power conditioning, Furman is still the

industry leader in bang-for-the-buck power conditioners - and now even

their low-end units are series mode, instead of the typical xxx0 joule

rated MOV power units like Monster, Panamax, et al... Saves you from a

lot of replacing units if you're getting those kinds of spikes in your

voltage (significant enough to cause your audio gear to pop is a pretty

good spike...)

If you're going to invest in power conditioning, Furman is still the

industry leader in bang-for-the-buck power conditioners - and now even

their low-end units are series mode, instead of the typical xxx0 joule

rated MOV power units like Monster, Panamax, et al... Saves you from a

lot of replacing units if you're getting those kinds of spikes in your

voltage (significant enough to cause your audio gear to pop is a pretty

good spike...)

Hey Griff,

Not being an expert on joules etc, what furman model would you

recommend for typical home use? I now have a cheap panamax but I

understand that it will wear out after a time and when I replace it, I

want something that will last but will not kill the bank.

Thanks

Josh

Somtimes I hear a few brief and light "Pops" once

in awhile for a brief time right after I pwoer my system up.

Summer or Winter ... or both? It may be static buildup...

but it's just guessing based on the little info we have. What kind

of flooring do you have?

If you're going to invest in power conditioning, Furman is still the industry leader in bang-for-the-buck power conditioners - and now even their low-end units are series mode, instead of the typical xxx0 joule rated MOV power units like Monster, Panamax, et al... Saves you from a lot of replacing units if you're getting those kinds of spikes in your voltage (significant enough to cause your audio gear to pop is a pretty good spike...)

Hey Griff,

Not being an expert on joules etc, what furman model would you recommend for typical home use? I now have a cheap panamax but I understand that it will wear out after a time and when I replace it, I want something that will last but will not kill the bank.

Thanks

Josh

Yes Griff;

If you could take the time to look over Furman's site/products knowing I'm a regular guy who doesn't want to take out a second mortgage on my home and let me know which one would work best for home use I would greatly appreciate it.; I'm not that into all the specs and it would be very helpful.

Thanks so much guys

If you could take the time to look over Furman's

site/products knowing I'm a regular guy who doesn't want to take out a

second mortgage on my home and let me know which one would work best

for home use I would greatly appreciate it.; I'm not that into all the

specs and it would be very helpful.

I find heir model numbers quite difficult to interpret too... even

though they have tried to make them logical. I think they realise

this, and so provide a "product selection guide" to help choose the

best unit for your needs.

http://www.furmansound.com/products/product_solutions/product_solutions.php

There are several basic convenience features that may sway you to

choose one model over another... for example if it has a remote

control. (my understanding is this is designated by an "R" for

example the PS-8R is the same as the PS-8 but can be turned on by

remote control).

Power sequencing (turning things on in a certain sequence with delays

to avoid "turn-on pop") is another feature not built into every

unit. Again my understanding is it's designated by a "S" in the

name... like the PS-8 is the same as the PL-8 but with the

sequencer.

ROb

Griffinator may be right about the Furman being the best. FYI, the Moster unit is only $109 after rebate with free shipping from http://www.buy.com/prod/Monster_Power_HTS3500MKII_10_Outlet_PowerCenter_w_Stage_3_Filtering/q/loc/111/90119434.html

Quite the deal anyway you look at it. I've placed my order. Not sure myself, what's causing your pop.

Dave;

Do you know anyway I can contact Buy.com via land line? I just HATE to give my credtit card to any web site, (I never have) and I think I might want to jump on this unit.

Griff:

Once again guys like you are the reason I LOVE this site! Seriously, I have recieved more real world information from people like myself who listen to music and do not wish to be part of the "Audiophile" hype that teaches one has to blow huge money to get great sound.

Very helpful information, thanks so much fellas,

Dave;

Do you know anyway I can contact Buy.com via land line? I just HATE to give my credtit card to any web site, (I never have) and I think I might want to jump on this unit.

Griff:

Once again guys like you are the reason I LOVE this site! Seriously, I have recieved more real world information from people like myself who listen to music and do not wish to be part of the "Audiophile" hype that teaches one has to blow huge money to get great sound.

Very helpful information, thanks so much fellas,

I just bought one of the Monster units. I don't like to give out my credit card on the net either. I just use paypal. A lot of sites are starting to take it. nice that they will not get your credit card info and you still have the remedy of the credit card company if they rip you off. Make sure you select the Budget shipping or they will hit you for $17 to ship.

I can't believe that I bought a Monster product! Actually, I bought a set fo JBL's recently and they came with monster cable made for JBL (it was marked Monster cable and made for JBL). Actually, it is very good wire, just way overpriced, same as this power conditioner, but for $109.00...

Interestingly enough, I have my "Monster/JBL" wire hooked up to a set of Bose 2.2's while I re-cap the crossovers in the JBL's. I bought the Bose speakers years ago and they were recently given back to me. Hmmmmm...

Chris

I can't believe I bought anything with Monster on it but it was too good a deal given the features I wanted. I hope everything works out with Buy.com and my New Monster HTS3500 MkII. On the checkout page the final price showed FREE "Budget" shipping,...it said it should arrive in 7-9 business days.

$159.99 and the fifty buck rebate showed a final price of $109.99,....not bad.

We'll see.

Once again thanks for all the input.