Poll: How much time do you spend per week listening to your HOME 2 channel system

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

The reason for the poll was that I find myself spending time buying music, hunting for music, getting my music room situtated the right way, messing with equipment, and the time I actually spend enjoying all seems to get less and less. Was hoping to see how much time everyone actually gets to spend enjoying their various systems.

Travis

The reason for the poll was that I find myself spending time buying music, hunting for music, getting my music room situtated the right way, messing with equipment, and the time I actually spend enjoying all seems to get less and less. Was hoping to see how much time everyone actually gets to spend enjoying their various systems.

Travis

I'm with you there. Thousands of dollars spent on my theater and I bet I watch only on average 1 or 2 movies a month. Sad really. On the other hand, when I do watching something, I'm always still in awe! [:)]

I average at least 6 hours a day listening to my home system. 3 hours or so during the day and at a minimum of 3-5 hours a night. I RARELY watch TV, probably 3 hours of week. I own a business that I run out of my home, so it gives me alot of freedom around the house. I usually even make my dinner plate and eat in my music room. I voted over 30 hours, as that has been my listening habits for the last 6 months or so.

I don't listen in the mornings when I first wake up, I enjoy that quiet time and after about an hour or so and 3 cups of coffee, I fire up the beast..

Good poll , I probably get at least a good 10 hours of 2 channel listening a week . It would be more but lately I have been digging the Live House setting on my 9000ES processor which gives the rear speakers a modest signal , no center though . But even more so I have been accumulating concert and music DVD's and enjoying the 5.1 experience . Like mOOn however , when I play movies there is absolutely no movie theater around here that can come even close !!! [li]

I went for the 8-15 per week, although I wish it were more..I reside in the music room on weekend nights, usually between 9PM-2AM, two nights a week when on 4-8s and 3 times a week when on 4-10s (preferred)

I remember the days when I had the 2 channel in the house, and it was music every night..no TV!

but that's another story...

Steve

I went with 15-30hrs/week, I listen to atleast 3 or 4hrs a day on average and its higher on the weekends. Usually because I have long breaks between classes, and I HAVE to have music while studying or doing anything in my room. Its a habit to walk into my room, take off the jacket and hit the Power On button before I do anything else. I love my music :)

15 to 30 man here. Bacially late evenings for an hour or so and more on the weekend when I can grab it. I use music to unwind at the end of the day and sleep SO much better than I did when the TV was my late night company.

Interesting to see that some of those with home theatre's get so little use from them - this was the main reason I abandoned it - I simply never used the thing - a very different state of affairs from my 2 channel rig.

In terms of critically listening to 2 ch music (no concert DVD's or movies), I mean really giving a good listen with no distractions, I'm ashamed that I had to vote in the 1-3 hours category. It truly disgusts me to no end. I mean it's been months since I unboxed all my LP's, set up the turntable, bought boxes of new music from GaryMD, and I probably don't spin one vinyl LP every month.

Thanks for the wake up call. I really should give this more hobby enjoying it than tinkering with it.

Of course if you include my smaller rig in my office (iMac jukebox hooked up to HK730 and Dahlquist speakers), that system is on 30-40 hours per week and I'm enjoying it every minute of the work day. So I do get a lot of music listening in and it's not just background. I have no one to talk to other than the occasional phone call, so I usually have it pretty well cranked.

Michael

When I make a change to my system I tend to spend more time critically listening but on average, it is less than an hour a week. I may go a month without turning on my 2ch rig then spend 4 or 5 hours at a crack listening when the pressures of this world get to me.

We spend more time with the HT system though. Normally we watch 2 or 3 movies a week but now that I added the HD tuner card, we have watched the Rose parade, rose bowl, super bowl, Olympics and other HD programing.

As I said, I use my 2 ch rig as a way to get away from the world and it's stresses, when I get the time[:P]

BTW, we had this thread about a year ago, I think I answered about 10 hours a week then. Interesting how priorities change.

My office is right next to my living room where my stereo is. Does that count? [:)]

Actually my wife is usually watching TV while I'm on the internet. She hasn't found out about the Denon CD player I got a month ago on eBay. I just found out it has its own volume control via the regular line out jacks! I think she'll actually like that feature since she hates that my old HK 730 doesn't have a remote.

Griff

In my single days, I had the 2 channel going whenever I was at home..I had a second set of speakers in the bedroom, and went to sleep with music..now that I'm married (20 years) I don't get near enough listening in..my wife watches TV, not into music..I won't complain at all, she let me build a dedicated music room, and I can buy any gear I desire.so I count myself lucky..but I long for the days of tunes 24-7..ahhh

I went with 4-8 hours a week which is closer to 8. I wish it was more but that is about all the time I get in the sweet spot.

The system is powered up about 20 hours a week but I don't consider background music to be listening to music. Listening to music is doing something. Reading a book with music on in the background is reading.

My office is right next to my living room where my stereo is. Does that count? [:)]

Actually my wife is usually watching TV while I'm on the internet. She hasn't found out about the Denon CD player I got a month ago on eBay. I just found out it has its own volume control via the regular line out jacks! I think she'll actually like that feature since she hates that my old HK 730 doesn't have a remote.

That's a really nice find there Wuzzer!

I finally swapped receivers around so I could have a modern remote unit in the bedroom with sleep timer. Go to beddies all the time with Brian Eno or environmental jazz playing through RB3's.

Michael