How do the Belles and Cornwalls differ?

m00n

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh? Hey, Michael. Put in that Santana Moonflower and listen to the jam part of "Let the Children Play" at ear-bleeding levels. Be sure to connect up your Crown for the ultimate experience. I love the part when the guitar and keyboard play a matched lead at the same time. Very cool when very loud.

Play Slayer "Reign in Blood" wide open......you'll see god.....

Harsh? Hey, Michael. Put in that Santana Moonflower and listen to the jam part of "Let the Children Play" at ear-bleeding levels. Be sure to connect up your Crown for the ultimate experience. I love the part when the guitar and keyboard play a matched lead at the same time. Very cool when very loud.

Play Slayer "Reign in Blood" wide open......you'll see god.....

Never heard of it. Are you being funny, or is it a great tune?

Not at Hope last year , he wasn't LOL

I'm getting my Rat Shack meter calibrated, seems like it's reading way low, even with good battery check. Anyone else have this?

Michael

Hey now you can't lay all the blame on me[:$] You sure were ready to crank it up when Whitesnake came on [;)]

I don't have an SPL meter but live shows are 9 times out of 10 to loud for me. At home I like it loud enough so the room is full of music but I can still talk to the person sitting next to me.

For some reason I started thinking about this Belle thread last night.

The Belle is the WORST of both worlds, the anti-cornscala if you will.

It has the 'harsh' (sorry) mid horn similar to the Cornwall 500 is close to 600.

And it has the 'lack of bass' (again apologies) of the LaScala.

Much better design is JWCullison's Cornscala with the magnificent K401 horn and the deep smooth bass of the Cornwall design.

Just my .02.

Michael

Get yourself some VRDs and a BlueBerry Xtreme, and that will provide you with all the bass you will ever need on a pair of La Scala's/Belles.

Mike

Believe this.

Even with the original BlueBerry and Peach, this combo SHREDS. The first thing I told Craig when I heard his kit was "Whaddaya mean LaScalas have no bass!" Not to mention the smoothness, clarity, transparency, authority, and IMAGE.

The JM preamps on those VRD's? Proof that Klipsch speakers allow you to upgrade speakers by way of good gear choices. Buy a better amp and preamp that mates well with the Klipsch, get a speaker upgrade FREE.

I know a couple that has ordered a Peach (and likely to get VRD's too along with it) for their Cornwalls. I told them to have a fresh six pack of underwear handy in the drawer, cuz they are gonna need 'em[:)]

For some reason I started thinking about this Belle thread last night.

The Belle is the WORST of both worlds, the anti-cornscala if you will.

It has the 'harsh' (sorry) mid horn similar to the Cornwall 500 is close to 600.

And it has the 'lack of bass' (again apologies) of the LaScala.

Much better design is JWCullison's Cornscala with the magnificent K401 horn and the deep smooth bass of the Cornwall design.

Just my .02.

Michael

Agreed, the Cornscala does have most of the best of both worlds. I would not call the K401 horn "magnificient." At least compared to the Trachorn, 511s or 811s, it is still a compromise.

People just need to upgrade the stock Belle and keep the original parts if they ever want to sell it in OEM condition.

Too bad the Trachorn 400 will not fit into a Cornwall. With Al's upgrade kit (including replacement cloth and raisers), a Trachorn Belle still looks stock, but performs like a completely different animal. Bass is not a problem if you run the right amplification.

Carl.

Get yourself some VRDs and a BlueBerry Xtreme, and that will provide you with all the bass you will ever need on a pair of La Scala's/Belles.

Mike

Believe this.

Even with the original BlueBerry and Peach, this combo SHREDS. The first thing I told Craig when I heard his kit was "Whaddaya mean LaScalas have no bass!" Not to mention the smoothness, clarity, transparency, authority, and IMAGE.

The JM preamps on those VRD's? Proof that Klipsch speakers allow you to upgrade speakers by way of good gear choices. Buy a better amp and preamp that mates well with the Klipsch, get a speaker upgrade FREE.

I know a couple that has ordered a Peach (and likely to get VRD's too along with it) for their Cornwalls. I told them to have a fresh six pack of underwear handy in the drawer, cuz they are gonna need 'em[:)]

Couldn't have said it any better myself! And agree with you 100%!

This combination is a match made in heaven. I am now a big believer in the front end (sources make a huge difference too, but not as much as the amp/preamp) and can't believe I waited this long to find out. For those of you who live near any of us with this combination I highly recommend you pay us a visit and have a listen for yourself.

Mike

Not at Hope last year , he wasn't LOL

I'm getting my Rat Shack meter calibrated, seems like it's reading way low, even with good battery check. Anyone else have this?

Michael

Hey now you can't lay all the blame on me[:$] You sure were ready to crank it up when Whitesnake came on [;)]

I don't have an SPL meter but live shows are 9 times out of 10 to loud for me. At home I like it loud enough so the room is full of music but I can still talk to the person sitting next to me.

Yeah, and I hate to say- I HATED the sound of that tube amp and corns on hard rock. It was either the worst record selection of the night or rock just doens't sound good on tubes.

(ducks for fear of flying debris[:$])

Michael

Mike L,

I'm getting lost in the lingo. So what you're saying is that with Heritage speakers, first go to tube PREamp, then move into tube AMP also?

For a SS rocker like myself, which would be the biggest improvement or introduction into tubes? SHould I try out a pre stage or get some little tube amp to use with 2 ch listening?

Anyone near me want to bring something over and try to convert me?

Michael

Mike L,

I'm getting lost in the lingo. So what you're saying is that with Heritage speakers, first go to tube PREamp, then move into tube AMP also?

For a SS rocker like myself, which would be the biggest improvement or introduction into tubes? SHould I try out a pre stage or get some little tube amp to use with 2 ch listening?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Start with Marks BlueBerry or Peach preamp. That right there will rock your world with your SS amps. If you are into vinyl then the BB Xtreme, otherwise the Peach, which also provides some very nice features in addition to the AUX inputs.

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/web_pages/xtreme2.html

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/web_pages/peach2.html

And if you have a chance to audition Craig's VRD's, I think you would be amazad at the amount of slam his amps can provide. They are 60 wpc in Ultralinear or 30 wpc in triode. I'll bet I haven't thrown more than 10 watts at them and they can shake the rafters, while still providing unbelievable clarity, detail, depth and imaging.

Mike

Edit: There must be someone in your area who has either of these fine products that can provide a demo for you.

If we were you could anytime[;)]

Of course I run Tube Pre's and SS Power as I do like slam bass without any decay[:o]

Seti just sold his beautiful and best built amps I think I have ever seen and whoever loves SET would agree with me if they saw and heard them (Canary 8 Watt CA300's)! He's gonna kill me[:S]

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1145660352

By everything I have been watching on the forum the BB/VRD combo seems to be the ticket for the Heritage line[H]

Colt I returned your pm a little while ago[:)]

I think someone here put a tractrix mid horn into a CW, got a photo here somewhere. That might be one of the best homebuilt compromises around.

And I meant that the K401 was the best of the Klipsch exponential horns. Beats 500, 600, 700 all to heck, right?

Michael

Yep. K401 is the best of the Klipsch bunch.

Carl.

I very much like the Belles. Having had several systems before this with ported bass, I have to conclude that the benefits of a horn loaded bass far outshine the possible drawback of slightly less LF extension. Sure, there are many for whom nothing short of a phalanx of 18" subwoofers slogging away mercilously will create realism and excitement (I guess). But the clarity, tone and DEFINITION of the horn loaded bass bring far more realism to my ears than simple pant-flapping volumetric pressure. The tone and clarity of bass notes is simply far superior to what I've heard in ported systems - even very good ones. The top end of the Belle has to be fiddled just like with any Heritage through crossovers, etc. But when you get that "to your taste" the wholeness of the Belle from top to bottom is exquisite (as I imagine is true with Khorn/LaSacala). The musical "personality" remains consistent from top to bottom - something few speakers manage. Most of the speakers I've tried with horn top and ported bottom exhibit a disconnect of tone and personality which makes the woofer "too obvious" and in many ways more artificial sounding than the midrange. In short, they sound like two different animals. It reminds me in way of the old "small satellite + big subwoofer" fad, which yielded a sort of big sound, but very disconcerting after any length of listening. A couple days ago I was at an intimate jazz recital in a nice little museum hall. I found myself paying attention to the bass player because she happened to be the best musician in the ensemble. The subtleties and nuance of her tone was not at all overpowering, and yet was always "there." It never took over the piece, but was always correctly a part of the sound. That's a bit like I think the horn loaded bass enclosures sound to me - there in full detail and clarity, but not overblown and calling attention to itself. There is no speaker that is right for everyone, and certainly the Belle is no exception. But if your tastes lean towards great bass resolution, detail and clarity more than sheer gut-punching quantity, it is a very nice choice. If I only wanted to listen to very loud rock, my old KLF 30s would blow the Belles out of the room, and for a sheer 'drill to the bottom of the earth' bass, my Altec 416s would blow the 30s away. BUT - the Belles are far better at the the wider variety of stuff I actually listen to. A nifty speaker. I hope I get to try some K'horns eventually. md

Mark, nice post regarding the Belles. My prior post regarding upgrading the top end should in no way be construed as meaning I did not like the top end of my Belles prior to the Trachorn upgrade. Sure, the K500/501 horn is a Klipsch compromise (compared to the K400/401) that you can get some pretty nice sound out of - with upgraded crossovers (again thanks, Dean and Al!). Once that stock squawker is attenuated some, the speaker balances out, and I also appreciate the Belles' bass "sound" (even over the Cornwalls' ported sound - personal preference). Modding the top end just takes Belles to a new universe, that's all.

Carl.

Mike L,

Michael

Agree with others, start with a tube pre.

You will be surprised at the difference.

Carl.