• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use the Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=374&catid=71

I have went thru half of my collection so far, and put them in a VRP (Rice Paper) sleeve after cleaning so that I know I have done them.

I bought mine used for $500 I think, but here is a new one for $755

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1144780685

I have heard it is not as good as the VPI machine, but there is no effort on your part with this unit. I will clean some by hand prior to putting in the machine, but am happy with mine so far.

Mike

i started with the nitty gritty, but sold that in favor of the vpi 16.5, i like the full support of the turntable the vpi offers and to be honest it seems to do a better job of cleaning the albums, i would like to find the vpi 17 at some point and give it a try as it is supposed to be fully automatic however the 16.5 does a fine job and i suppose holding a brush down on the album as the turntable spins is not to difficult, i have used all sorts of spray on wipe off disc cleaners and none work even close to as well as a vacume machine, if you want to get the best sound possiable you will need a vacume machine

Joe

Discwasher. Only because I've had mine for over 20 years.

I'm sure its' not the best, but it's quick and quiet. I keep an old TT (belt disconnected) handy to clean the next record while one is playing. The Zerostat gun is also cool.

Some day I should upgrade, I suppose.

Here's the simple, cheap and effective method I use:

Get some microfiber towels from Costco (big pack, maybe 15 towels, like $10). lay the LP on two towels. Squirt a little cleaning solution (I'm using LAST) on the disc. Scrub using Disc Doctor brush. Rinse with clean water from my reverse osmosis tap (at the sink). Put the LP back on the towels, scrub again. Rinde again, shake off excess water. Lay LP back on towels. Pat dry with 3rd towel. Repeat on other side. Air dry. Works great. I see no need for a machine that spins and vacuums (for myself, that is).

i started with the nitty gritty, but

sold that in favor of the vpi 16.5, i like the full support of the

turntable the vpi offers and to be honest it seems to do a better job

of cleaning the albums, i would like to find the vpi 17 at some point

and give it a try as it is supposed to be fully automatic however the

16.5 does a fine job and i suppose holding a brush down on the album as

the turntable spins is not to difficult, i have used all sorts of spray

on wipe off disc cleaners and none work even close to as well as a

vacume machine, if you want to get the best sound possiable you will

need a vacume machine

Joe

Nitty gritty always seemed a bit wobbly and more tedious to work with.

With the VPI you are putting the first cleaned side down where the

dirty side was.

I cannot ge that worried about it. Some buy a second mat just so they

have a dirty mat for the dirty side and a clean mat for the clean side.

I like my VPI; I may actually use it for a while when I get my living room remodeling complete in the next 10 days...

I started with the small Nitty from Audio Advisor, went to a Sota machine and now have the VPI 16.5. The Sota and VPI are very close in performance, the thing I liked, which has nothing to do with cleaning, was that the VPI has a hinged lid. As far as your rice crispys go, I have found that the machines do not totally get rid of the static, which for me is the main cause of noise with my vinyl. Joe

For those on a budget, last year I built a DIY RCM using an old turntable, a 1HP Shop Vac with a modified crevice tool. To my way of thinking, the main function of a RCM is to suck the dirty fluid off the record and it doesn't take much engineering to accomplish. I think of far more importance is the fluid used to loosen the crud and proper brushes to get deep into the grooves. I prefer Disc Doctor brushes and Record Research Labs fluids. JMO

All of the above can be had for less than $100 or so.

Steve

Question:

Anyone else with a VPI 16.5 have problems keeping the LP tight on the platter? Mine seems to be coming loose during the vacume cycle more and more often unless I hold the LP while tightening and I can't figure out how to open it up to see what is coming loose inside. I'm sure there's something in there I can tighten up. Some bolt holding on the spindle?

Any advice would be appreciated!

For those on a budget, last year I built a DIY RCM using an old turntable, a 1HP Shop Vac ...........

Steve

Do you wear ear plugs when you run it? [:)]

LOL No, it isn't on for more than a few seconds at a time. I am thinking about building a horn for the vac though. THat ought kick it up a notch or two.[:)]

Gary, did you take a look at the plastic 'nut' that holds the record down? It might be that the plastic threads are getting stretched. If that is not it I would suspect that you are on track with the spindle being loose under the platter somewhere. No problems with mine, but it is just about new with only 50 cleanings or so on it.

As a related questino, how often do you clean your recorded? Asuming good sleeves and covers are being used in a fairly clean environment, do you base it on time, number of plays, etc., etc.... I am assuming that since there is friction involved with cleaning some wear is occuring and that some sort of tradeoff is involved with how often to clean.

I use a nitty gritty, you certianly need to be be careful on where and how you apply pressure....it is wobbly

Gary, I've had my 16.5 platter off (three screws under the mat) and the spindle is just a press fit, so maybe some good rubber cement will do the trick. Are you using the sponge type mat or have you gone to a harder material like cork? The sponge type has good sticking power for the record without cuasing too much pulling pressure on the spindle.

To the original post: Back in the eighties I tried many different cleaning machines and solutions. My first choice were the VPI's followed by the Nitty Gritties. Another good one was the Record Doctor out of Walnut Grove Ca. All did a fine job, but I found the VPI made the biggest sonic improvement, was the easiest to use and seemed the most gentle on records.

What was most telling was the cleaning solution used. These had vast differences in sound. The Record Doctor solution was my first choice and I've been using it ever since. Unfortunatley I'm almost out and I can't find it anymore. If someone here knows where to find it, or knows the formula, I'd appreciate the info.

BTW, distilled water with a 5% solution of hospital grade isopropal alcohol and a drop of surficant makes a very good solution and won't harm your precious records. I would not trust ANY solution not made specifically for cleaning records. The chemicals could leach out the plasticisors from the vinyl. There was a lot of discussion about this back then.

For anyone who has not used a real cleaning machine (VPI, Nitty etc.), you should demo one. You will not believe the difference in sound quality they make, even on brand new records. Not to mention the extended life they give your records.

I clean my records approximately every three to four playings.

I just use the stock cork mat. I use to put a rubber mat for the second side but gave that up. The cork seems to stay pretty clean.

If I hold the edge of the LP while tighening, it's fine. I never used to have to though.

I rarely clean an LP more then once per 20 or more plays unless something unusual happens. I also use the DiscDoctor fluid and brushes. Nothing else comes close.