"S" on my forehead for sucker?

Coytee

Well, do I have a big S (Sucker) on my forehead or is this a touchy feel good story...?

Just now went to store to get some printer paper. Walking out to car and am tossing things in back seat when a car drives up... Car contains young guy driving (mid 20s Id guess) and a female in passenger seat. Both look a bit unkempt and frankly, grungy.

He rolls his window down & says Sir...

Not being accustomed to THAT many people calling me Sir (I guess Im finally getting past my boyish looks...)

I turn & acknowledge

Uh... my mother is over there in the hospital and were from Johnson City (couple hours away). We came in to see her and afterwards went to a movie where we were robbed. They stabbed me here in the neck (as he points to a 4x4 sized gauze affixed to his neck) and they took all our money

I was uh...well...were from Johnson City and uh...

So, presuming they were actually bumming money (drug?) I decided to sidestep them a touch and asked So do you need directions on how to get back in the direction youre wanting to go??

Uh..no he says while clearly showing signs of struggling with this conversation more from a mental aspect than a physical one (ie, not under any apparent influence of anything)

I uh...well, we got robbed last night while at the movie, they stole her purse and my wallet. We even slept in the car last night since were not from here. Were almost empty on our tank of gas and havent eaten...I was wondering if you might have $4.00 or $5.00 you could spare for us

I asked if they had enough gas to get home and the answer was no.

So, fearing this might be a new twist on the will work for food gambit, I said quite honestly, Well, Im on empty myself and am heading straight for the gas station, follow me

I mulled the story over while on way to station. I didnt really want to reduce his dignity by grilling the guy to the 3rd degree in case its a true story. On the other hand, didnt want to hand cash over to someone willy nilly. Because of that, I thought Id just put the gas in his car for him, this way he has enough to get home AND if it IS a will work for food scam, Id rather get scammed giving him gas than cash for drugs.

We land at gas station and I filled my car up. Id also decided that if the story was legit then they might also be hungry.

I filled my car then took hose over and filled their car. He got out and was interestingly quiet as he mumbled a bit on how embarrassing this was. I figured he was either a decent actor or perhaps there was some merit to his story.

He told me they just bought the car with their tax return (it did have a temporary tag in window), he worked for the utility board & I could see his service badge (or whatever...I wasnt paying particular attention to him really) His wife/girlfriend was babbling that it was in his left side pocket blah blah blah.

None the less, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a $10.00 bill and a business card. I asked him if theyd eaten (no) so I gave him the $10.00 and my card & told him if I heard back from him that was fine and if I did not, that too, was fine.

He swore he was going to send me a cashiers check and I said it wasnt necessary to go to THAT extreme (a regular check is fine if he did anything).

They both thanked me profusely and we all got in our cars & drove off.

Cash: $10.00
Gas: $20.00 to fill his tank

Ive blown more for lesser reasons. Still not 100% sure about his story although he did say the police took a report and this location had numerous auto break ins at the same time yada yada yada.

Kind of makes me feel good in a cautious way as the entire time of this I was trying to keep a keen eye out for something suspicious. Never happened.

Perhaps Ill know the ending in couple weeks if I get a check in the mail. If that happens, Ill feel real good inside. Otherwise, Ill just mark it up on the attempted good deed side.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you did an admirable thing. Rather there story was legit or not, is not for you to worry over. You did a kind thing for two people who obviously are not well to do. In my opinion it takes a lot to ask for help like that.

I also like the aproach you took, having them follow you to a gas station to fill up their tank was a smart thing.

It's hard to be kind like this when you know there is a good chance that someone is pulling your leg and looking for drug money.

One thing that comes to mind is, didn't the police offer any assistance in this matter? Can't they offer them some degree of money to help get them home? I dunno, there's is a story that could go either way.

Look at it this way, you did a good thing for Karma. [:)]

BTW, I always give to pan handlers. Dunno why, I just have a soft spot myself. Never $30.00 but a dollar here and a dollar there.

It is never wrong to do some good.

Also an "S" on the forehead is better than a "666".

That being said, I am from Seattle and am here visiting, and I got lost on the internet, and I need $10 bucks to buy a new ISP so I can get home, if you could help me, I'll gladly repay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...[;)]

Just kidding, I think you did just fine. Feel good about yourself.

DM

My guess is you will at least get a letter of thanks. If they truly were embarrassed, it was probably a true story. Either way, it was a nice thing to do. I was in line at wendys downtown here one day and the guy in front of me was stinky and not dressed the best and I watched him buy a single burger with all change. I ordered, got my food and sat down at the table next to him. He ate the burger and got up to go to the trash and I asked him if he had money right now what would you buy? and he said another hamburger. So I gave him $10 and said buy a couple. He seemed real ashamed and thanked me over and over. However, he did buy more food. It's a good feeling.

I have been hit up at the gas station a couple of times by young people with hard luck stories. I say NO at first, then slip into their drivers seat, check the gas gauge and fill up their tank.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

They always seem to be really stupid, poor, with bad English (including what I presume are natives) and yet still have money for cigarettes. Sometimes crack or meth doesnt let you save money for the essentials in life.

I think you did an admirable thing. Rather there story was legit or not for you to worry over.

Exactly true. The situation of the receiver is of no consequence. You are noble and will be rewarded regardless.

Years ago, I was waiting in the hospital waiting for my Girlfriend (who

is BTW now my wife) finish her evening schedule as a nurse. I was

inside the car when a woman approached me. She looked distressed and

told me a story about her child confined in the ICU and needing some

medicines. She showed me a presciption and was asking for some help of

any sort. Of course I was skeptical but on the other hand it may be

true all along. Eventually, I gave her some money. My take is that if

it was true, I would have helped her in my own little way and that was

good enough for me, if not, I wouldn't be the one answering questions

come judgement day. I couldn't bear the fact that I could have helped

somebody that time around and didn't do anything about it.

Kudos to you!

*So Coytee, you feeling better yet? You have gotten great support for your actions*

I've never felt bad [;)]

I've done a number of things like this in my life...probalby more than I ought to admit ,like once driving about 50 miles OUT OF MY WAY to take a hitch hiker home over a weekend.

Was in college so he went there too but he only asked for a ride from Miami University into Hamilton (11 miles) and I drove him all the way to his home in Cincinnati... refusing gas money although I was driving at the time, a 442 convertable that sucked gas like no tomorrow.

So ya... I've been here before, it's not unfamilar territory at all.

Priceless

[:D]

Big S for you!

So, stabbed in the neck huh, robbed while at the movie, like sitting in the theatre? In the lobby? Did he go to the hospital emergency? Did he report the crime to the police? What was he doing driving with his neck stabbed last nite?

He had no other friends to help him out? I think that while in the emergency or while talking to the police you would start thinking of calling a friend back home to come help you out, instead of driving around parking lots asking for help....

OK, so the general rule for NOT getting screwed because you're a nice guy, is, in the case of a lack of paperwork such as a missing police report, visually inspect and verify the existance of the alleged wound under the alleged bandage. * see fine print.

* The possibility of payment may be linked directly to the outcome of the verification of actual wounding, based entirely on the personal decision of the inspectee, and is not requiring that a prior agreement exist between the parties. In the case where the monetary value requested by the woundee is determined by the inspectee to be of an amount that meets or is less than the perceived value of gaining leave from the alleged woundee party may be transacted at any time as determined by the inspectee. or not.

EIther party may cease any or all negotiations at any time for any reason. All transactions are final.

DM[;)]

Hate to be the cynic here but that comes from working in loss prevention at a department years ago. I can remember buying into some of the stories people came up with when I first started but it didn't take long before I just handed them all over to the cops. There are alot of exellent liars out there and you wouldn't believe some of the lengths they would go to and some of the sad stories they would make up only to find out from the arresting officer they have a record a mile long.

When I was 15 I remember working as a intern at a institution of

technology and I would have to take the path and bus to get back home.

It cost something like 3.75 one way. The thing was there wass this 50

year old or so that asked me if I had spare change for the bus.... when

I gave it to him he just went into a liquor store and brought a 40

ouncers.... boy did I feel stupid. And then I felt stupider when I

found out I was shy 25 cents to the bus in which I had to ask someone

on the path train for 25 cents.......[:$]

Coytee,

1st- You did a nice thing for some one, I hope he responds in kind, but if not, you still have the satisfaction of doing a good thing.

I've had obvious drug users/abusers try the same scam and I won't give them the time of day, in fact as a method of combating panhandling, many downtown business' here got together a while back and offered "gift certificates" to hand out for a meal, etc.....that worked with the truly needy, but the scam artists gave themselves away.

On the other hand, I can't count how many times members of my shift (yes, I am a Police Officer) have dipped into our own pockets, giving up our lunch money to someone who truly needed a meal, a train ticket home or a night in a hotel, never giving it a second thought or expecting repayment, as usually you never hear from them again. But every now and again, when you least expect it, you get a call to "meet a citizen in the lobby of the station" and when you arrive, there is someone you have helped who has come back to say thank you and return the money you "lent them".

Either way, it gives you a good feeling, nice job and kudos to you Coytee!

"Neck stabs" and stabs just about anywhere else invariably require stitches. Yes a 4 X 4 can be all that's needed to cover one single stab, but it'll still have some stitching. Not a lot to ask someone purporting such and interesting tale. If they went to the trouble of putting in stitches merely to scam dinner money then they at least earned it. (BTW to be certain they're real..yank on em...a little).

Coytee,

Thanks for posting. I think you handled this well.

I often help folks with gas or food and very seldom give anyone cash. I'd also rather be scammed for gas than cash.

If you do hear back from the guy, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I've heard that "promise" many times, but have never gotten any of those "gifts" repaid. I don't expect it either and I know that your help to these people was not contingent on that promise.

One thing that contributes to scammers is that so many people are happy to give someone a little cash just to get rid of them.

The world could use some more people with your kind of caring.