Coytee

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My philosophy:

Bad things happen to bad people.

However:

I belive in helping those in need. I once bought a car for a employee of mine that was catching the bus, during a severe detroit winter, to get back and forth to work every day. All I asked was that he made some type of payment, whatever he could, to me every payday. It wasent an expensive car, it was a 93 Camry with 180k on it. I think I paid 1500 for it.

Fast forward to the day he got fired, (not by me). It was two months later, and never paid me a dime. Every time I asked, it was an excuse. Down the road he goes, title in the glovebox, dissapearing into the ghetto. 6 months later, the repo guy I had looking for the car, found it in a junkyard. The kid rolled it over.

I was the most trusting person in the world when I moved to Detroit. I learned my lesson.

The thing I hate the most is getting panhandled while walking into the post office. If you are standing outside of a post office at 10 am begging for money, you could be standing behind a grill flipping burgers. I dont feel sorry for you.

I say not a sucker. You assessed the situation and your instincts said these folks were in need. Even if you had some doubt, your judgement was probably correct (even if the stabbing was over played?).

The gas rather than cash was a good move. If they truely needed it, they are greatful. If they really wanted money and didn't get it, then they are pi$$ed off, but have to pretend to be greatful. Either way, you win (I have also done this instead of giving cash).

Incidently, my sister and her boyfriend were robbed at gun point once while exiting a movie theater. The robbers took her purse and his wallet. This type of thing is too common.

Coytee,

I did a similar thing...was out washing the car, happy with the world when I gave up some money to a guy who thought he needed it...well he never came through for me and returned the money but you know what??? I figure that I got one check mark on the right side of the book for the inevitable end...if he was honest and just never got back to me...so be it (perhaps he got a check mark on the left side of that book)...it didn't end my life and I felt pretty good about helping someone out...you did a GOOD thing, no matter what way it gets bent, twisted or flipped, they can't take that away from you.

Bill

The only "S" that applies here is for "Samaritan". I have had similar occurrences, and really don't question whether or not I got "taken". I would rather be "taken" on occasion while still helping someone who needs it. Sure, the money I give someone on the street might be for a bottle or pill - but who am I to judge that? Whatever gets 'em through the night...

And then there was a fellow I met in San Francisco, who seemingly was just striking up a conversation in a crowd prior to a NYE concert at the Bill Graham. This guy was SOOOO smooth, that by the time he asked me for help, I knew it was likely a "professional" - but he was so good, I HAD to pay him. Anyone that good deserves to get paid. He really was talented - and very personable, too.

well coytee atleast you will have good karma. what goes around comes around, even though I am not that religious I believe in that. You meant well and maybe you will be rewarded back one day

I am not a "Bible thumper" either but this is applicable to you Richard:

"Luke 10:35 25-37 [25] On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" [26] "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" [27] He answered: " `Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, `Love your neighbor as yourself.' " [28] "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." [29] But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" [30] In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. [31] A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. [32] So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. [33] But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. [34] He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. [35] The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. `Look after him,' he said, `and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.' [36] "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" [37] The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

You did good.

Rick

[:$]

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still not sure I didn't get 'taken' but in all candor, I have blown a lot more money on far less endeavours.

I sometimes tell the wife about how well I sleep at night. Before we were married, she thought I slept like a baby. Now that she sees I roll around a bit she was a bit curious...

Today, I think she 'gets' what I mean when I say I sleep well at night. It ain't about the pillow.

[:D]

I think whats important to remember is that its ok to be skeptical and certainly acceptable to not help those who clearly have not made any attempt to help themselves. However, this thought has hit me more times than I can count..

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What if that guy standing by the side of the road is not some vagabond, but, in fact, God testing all those who see him as to whether they will show compassion.

My vote is that you did the right thing.

Tom

Well.......if it weren't BS thats one in a million.That said you done a

very admirable thing,I know plenty people would have said p!ss off and

never thought twice,kinda sad.I've had similar things happen a few

times and always hope that I wasn't being scamed,although I really knew

I was.The only one I felt I really had not been taken was a guy/wife

and 5 kids in a station wagon asking for money to feed the

family.Regardless of reason I bought em' all dinner and gave em' a

little cash and some advise,and never regreted it.

I had a guy hit me up for money once in a parking lot with a story about running out of gas on the freeway, needing money to for enough gas to get home about 100 miles away. I told him if he would wait 5 minutes while I took care of some business, I would get him filled up and on his way home. Guy disappeared before I got back. Two weeks later, the same guy hit me up in the same parking lot with a similar same story. There are people for which this is a business.

That said, there are indeed unfortunate beings out there needing a helping hand. And it is a good thing to help them out when you can.

Two months ago a well casual dressed fellow on the city street stopped me and my wife asking for money. He claimed to need "any" money for retrieving his towed vehicle and his daughter was attending a professional olympic sport at the arena, and he left his money somewhere and he was out of state.

Two weeks ago another frantic young frazzled fellow stopped us in the parking lot claiming to be here stranded from out of state looking for money to get home. He was driving a new white large SUV with out of state plates.

Even though I usually am easy and very giving I did not help either, yeah I still feel somewhat guilty..........what is it with people now days? Is it possible for "adults" to get lost? Never happend to us and we have done a lot of travelling in the past.....

Next time I will direct them to the nearest fire station or hospital and let them help.......unless of course I'm really convinced.

become a new yorker and ignore them all

If you ever watched law and order they actually film in ny street and the people there are soo jaded they don't even care..... they just become part of the scene

What kinda comment is that? Have you forgotten 911, We were ALL New Yorkers on that day? I guess Who is the Best Guitarist on Klipsch speakers is alittle more important than helping out people in need. Not everyone is well off like some of us, and could use a hand. Remember, that in the end, we are all the same, no matter where you live, what you do, what you think, and to help people is the right thing to do. The "S" doesn,t stand for sucker; it stands for SUPER.

You are a better person than me. I wouldn't have given him a cent. And I wouldn't feel bad about not giving him a cent, either.

Even if his story was true, which I doubt, Too Bad. If I was in a strange part of the country and got stabbed and robbed, even if they took my wallet, I would still find a way to get back on my feet without having to beg from strangers. And his mom, in the hospital, she didn't have any money or a credit card???

I like to tell beggers when they give me a sob story, and beg for change... "Sorry, all I've got is Hundreds."

If

you ever watched law and order they actually film in ny street and the

people there are soo jaded they don't even care..... they just become

part of the scene

What kinda comment is that? Have

you forgotten 911, We were ALL New Yorkers on that day? I guess

Who is the Best Guitarist on Klipsch speakers is alittle more important

than helping out people in need. Not everyone is well off like some of

us, and could use a hand. Remember, that in the end, we are

all the same, no matter where you live, what you do, what

you think, and to help people is the right thing to do. The "S"

doesn,t stand for sucker; it stands for SUPER.

huh?

anyways I meant to say that not alot of things impress new yorkers just look at all the advertisement in manhattan to sell crap

If you ever watched law and order they actually film in ny street and the people there are soo jaded they don't even care..... they just become part of the scene

What kinda comment is that? Have you forgotten 911, We were ALL New Yorkers on that day? I guess Who is the Best Guitarist on Klipsch speakers is alittle more important than helping out people in need. Not everyone is well off like some of us, and could use a hand. Remember, that in the end, we are all the same, no matter where you live, what you do, what you think, and to help people is the right thing to do. The "S" doesn,t stand for sucker; it stands for SUPER.

huh?

anyways I meant to say that not alot of things impress new yorkers just look at all the advertisement in manhattan to sell crap

If I took your comment wrong, I'm sorry. New York City is the greatest city in the world, bar none. The only thing that really matters is people helping people and 911 is a great example. I don't think people were jaded on that day, we were all confused,and scared, not jaded. Every american on that day was a New Yorker, so temper your words about New Yorkers, they do care, no matter where in the state we live. As far as advertisement goes, it's not the same in LA, Chicago, or Boston, of course it is. The real point is People helping People, that's what's important. Like I said;"S stands for Super,not sucker.