Bob's new song birds

I've opened the special package Dee kindly shipped to me, and I just have to say that these new tweeters are very finely made. Some of the anatomical differences from the K-77 have already been discussed, but the fit and finish made them just fun to look at and hold -- as neat things in and of themselves. Also, I have never had the opportunity to see Bob's networks in person, but they are built to similarly excellent standard. I had been wondering about the best route to take in terms of lead connections between the driver and crossover, but found that detail already attended to and taken-care-of. Thanks Bob and Son!

I'm working on getting the drivers put in now, but have to go about maybe a little more slowly than I might have expected. It's not a problem, though, and will mention some impressions tomorrow.

Also: Al's tweeter attenuator was included with the above, and they are great looking. I'm eager to try them, as well.

To begin with, I'm going to use the networks I made recently, because I'm familiar with how they sound with the K-77s (M-version).

More later,

Erik

I think the fit, finish and quality is excellent for the bucks! I also think they sound very similar to the K77M. I had made way to many changes to my speakers and was just getting frustrated with the entire mess. I decided to just go back to home base for a time and then slowly change one thing at a time.

Craig

Looking forward to your thoughts on these new tweeters, Erik. Our dad's faithful ol' Cornwalls may go through the same upgrade as well real soon!

This is true as Bob just sent off a new set of replacement caps for me to install. I'm looking forward to hearing the improvement over these 26 year old tired stock caps. [:)]

Chops,

I hope you will post on your sound with new caps. This has amazed me as to how much difference this makes to get tired old crossovers back to factory spec....makes Heritage really sing.

And it doesn't cost much either. That is really nice.

The cost to benefit ratio is the best of anything I know that can be done with Heritage speakers.

This has amazed me as to how much difference this makes to get tired old crossovers back to factory spec....makes Heritage really sing.

Installed new caps from Bob in my Cornwalls last week. I was kinda shocked by the change. The change was so dramatic, that I wasn't even sure I liked it (at first). After a few hours, my internal equalizer was working properly. They sound great.

I've changed caps in old acoustic suspension boxes (some EPIs) and the result was very different...primarily because the speakers had begun sounding pretty nasty (very nasally). The new caps there made a bad sound go away and replaced it with a great sound.

With the CWs, the sound wasn't "bad", it was just somewhat "subdued". With the new oil cans from Bob, they was a much clearer and crisper (I don't want to say brighter) high end. Where my listening had apparently been focused on the mids, now the tweets were holding their own, and it was quite a bit different. As someone who generally prefers the more hushed "New England - European" sound signature, the more prominent highs were VERY noticeable at first. But now, they just sound great.

I've even been A/B-ing some recapped EPI M100's (which I use as monitors in my office) with the Corns as a kind of tonal balance check. Very sweet. The Corns with the new caps are just simply helluva impressive speakers!

This has amazed me as to how much difference this makes to get tired old crossovers back to factory spec....makes Heritage really sing.

Installed new caps from Bob in my Cornwalls last week. I was kinda schocked by the change. The change was so dramatic, that I wasn't even sure I liked it (at first). After a few hours, my internal equalizer was working properly. They sound great.

I've changed caps in old acoustic suspension boxes (some EPIs) and the result was very different...primarily because the speakers had begun sounding pretty nasty (very nasally). The new caps there made a bad sound go away and replaced it with a great sound.

With the CWs, the sound wasn't "bad", it was just somewhat "subdued". With the new oil cans from Bob, they was a much clearer and crisper (I don't want to say brighter) high end. Where my listening had apparently been focused on the mids, now the tweets were holding their own, and it was quite a bit different. As someone who generally prefers the more hushed "New England - European" sound signature, the more prominent highs were VERY noticeable at first. Now, they just sound great.

I've even been A/B-ing some recapped EPI M100's (which I use as monitors in my office) with the Corns as a kind of tonal balance check. Very sweet. The Corns with the new caps are just simply helluva impressive speakers!

I'd say "brighter" and have no shame about it at all. That's exactly what they are. You can hear alot more of the high end. I bet, like me, you can't turn it up as loud anymore. But so what? The balance in the sound is much better with all those crisp highs. You can even hear some things that weren't audible or as audible before the re-caps.

Those re-caps were like taking speakers that had a real bad cold with severe nasal congestion - and blowing all the snot out to finally let them breathe right again.

• Moderators

Jeff:

" Those re-caps were like taking speakers that had a real bad cold with severe nasal congestion - and blowing all the snot out to finally let them breathe right again "

I have read many reviews on many different things speakers,amps and everything in between and never even came close to reading a review put in those words.

"Those re-caps were like taking speakers that had a real bad cold with

severe nasal congestion - and blowing all the snot out to finally let

them breathe right again."

I never quite heard it put like that, but I'll go with it. [:D]

And don't worry, I'll definately have something to say about the sound

after I replace the caps. Most likely, I'll document the entire thing

with pictures and everything just for fun. [;)]

PM Summer,

Thanks for your take on that.

With the number of folks who buy vintage Klipsch Heritage gear, no telling how many of them listen to sound, that is no doubt o.k. to good, but never have an idea of what these things sounded like when they left the factory.

IMO, that is a point of reference that is a must for the Klipsch experience.

Those folks who want to tweak and upgrade parts can have a great time. But if they don't know what the speakers sound like factory stock (and 20 year old speakers will not sound stock unless crossovers are refreshed) it is a process that is not anchored, IMO.

Hmmmm I might have to differ on minor points here Dee. Refershing La Scala's back to factory stock sound that were equipped with AL networks still leaves you holding the short end of the stick IMO. Now installing up to date quality networks is a different story entirely. I agree on premise that yes old tired network need to be brought to life again but if the networks are AL/AB you can do better and going back to factory stock has no real advantage.

I think what Dee is getting at is that for people who have only heard

"used" vintage Heritage Klipsch speakers are listening to them for the

first time with already tired crossovers. If they were to hear them

with fresh networks as they were factory new, which indeed would be an

improvement over their current condition.

I don't think Dee was referring to the stock fresh networks sounding better than modded/upgraded ones.

You guys are more than kind.

Chops,

Yep, you got it. That's precisely what I'm saying.

J.4knee,

Yeh, I haven't heard those particular crossovers, but don't hear much appreciation for them. It's not much of a quibble, but am saying that a restored to spec AL would sound better than an AL with worn out caps.

My advice comes from my experience with a pair of 20 year old LaScalas, which were my first Heritage purchase. The caps were worn out, but I had no clue. I was reading rave reviews on the ALK type A universal replacement and I got a pair and raved about them, too. They made my LaScalas sound fabulous. Well, it was a number of months later I had BEC rebuild my old AA crossovers. The ALK's still sounded very good, but I realized that my original comparison was not apples to apples. To compare ALK's to worn out AA's is not helpful. I came to realize that unless one has a base line reference, (and IMO a factory spec Heritage speaker makes sense) comparisons to the "upgrades" are simply not meaningful. Again, my opinion here. The more I hear factory spec Heritage gear, the more appreciation I have for Mr. PWK. The guy turned out some good stuff.

"...but the fit and finish made them just fun to look at and hold -- as neat things in and of themselves."

Isn't that a wonderful thing? Didn't you KNOW at that moment they'd sound great, even though there was absolutedly no other evidence other than the tactile and visual rush you experienced?

I get the same feeling handling Weston VU meters from the '40's, RCA mikes from the '30's and similar.

In spite of my general sense of not really hearing much beyond the source of recordings, I wonder if me 'ol 'horns could use some fresh caps or something. I fear this. What if I suddenly start to hear caps? Will my zip cord start showing up?

Arghh...that way lieth madness! Another recording is in order...

Erik: I am now in Houston, though temporarily in a company apartment in Pasadena. We'll be looking for housing in the Clear Lake/Webster area soon. Perhaps I can get an invite to hear your goodies sometime?

Dave

Dee,

Yeah been there I am the original owner of my La Scala's the ALK is an improvement all the way around when compared to the AL new or otherwise. Don't dispute PWK turned out some good stuff obviously ....we are all here!

I get the sense a few folks took ill that I disagreed with you on a couple minor points. [8-)]