How big a screen?

boomac

The carpenter says he'll be done in 2 weeks so it's time to pick out a new TV. We will have the main seating about 11 feet from the monitor. The two main speakers, (Cornwalls) will be 14 feet apart and a third Cornwall will be directly below the screen. Nartually, my kid wants the 73 inch Mitsubishi but several sales guys have said either 50 inch or 60 inch sets would be fine. I have decided not to go with an overhead projector so it's either LCD, DLP or Plasma. Money is, of course, an object. What do you guys think?

I know you're not in the market for a projector, but after I did all the research, looked at all my options in TVs, checked all the prices on the different screen sizes of TVs, and viewed quite a few DLP, LCD and plasma TVs, going with a DLP projector was the only wise choice.

The screen can be much larger than any current production TV, the image quality is leaps and bounds better than any DLP, LCD or plasma TV I've seen, razor sharp images and true-to-life color at 4' tall and 9' wide, and priced considerably less than any large screen TV available.

However, if I had to buy a TV, it would be a DLP TV... Most likely a Samsung.

It kinda depends on if you want a theater or just want to watch

tv/movies.I don't think I could handle the news all over my wall,but maybe.A

50" would do a nice job at 11ft,60" would really be all you'd need,only

imo.As to type you better have a good look and do due(I said do do

lol)diligence on the units you consider.Many of the new tvs are great

but most all have some dawback.Some people like dlp and some don't,some

like lcd and others don't.

I just had a plasma in for a week and while it was nice it had some

suttle artifacts and shading changes I didn't care for but could have

lived with since it did have a great picture.The burn in issue on

plasmas kinda got me too.DLP has too much movement inside for me(only

imo) with potential increased maintainance.I ended up with a Sony lcd

50" grand wega cause I liked the looks,can use as computer monitor,its got a pretty rep from owners

and the deal was great.All these tvs had a good picture and the

technology improves with every new model so find your budget search it

on the avs forum for feedback,good luck.

• Moderators

We have a 65" and sit about 13' back, and it looks fine even if you move up to half way to the tv. Tv is 1080i and dish network, in HD you can move as close as you want and it is perfect, DVD's are about like the normal signal off of the sat, maybe a little better.

The DLP is the best I have seen and I thank Plasma is too much money for what you get and . I have a Sony 60" and sit about 11ft away and it is a very clear picture. I also have a Mitsubishi DLP projector with a 65"x116" screen and it too is very clear. The only thing about the projector is the lighting in the room. With the Sony you dont worry about that. But as far as price the Sony would be the best. I like Sony but some people dont. Just dont forget that when you are looking at a TV in a store the picture is set very high to grab your eye. Just take your time and do your home work. Good luck.

Not sure if this applies to RPTV, but for FP the "accepted" formula is the first row of seats should be 1.8 to 2 times the screen width. Naturally, this is almost as debated as speaker wires (which we all know there IS NO difference in speaker wires). I in my conversation with the folks at Carada they said that folks tend to go a bit larger in screen size than the "accepted" formula. However, one thing they pointed that makes sense is that if you go too big, your eyes will be darting back & forth in an effort to take in all the information on the screen. In some cases, this "darting" isn't even noticeable, but the eye is still doing it. The result is eye fatigue. Anyhow, just something to consider.

Tom

I had always heard the best size to buy is the largest screen you can fit in your space and your budget. After that my Dad bought a 50" and it looked huge to us but it's amazing how it seems to have shrunk since it was brand new. The good news is he couldn'd have fit anything bigger in the room.

"one thing they pointed that makes sense is that if you go too big, your eyes will be darting back & forth in an effort to take in all the information on the screen. In some cases, this "darting" isn't even noticeable, but the eye is still doing it. The result is eye fatigue."

Huh ???

It seems to me that this just makes it more like real life.

We have a 65" Mits. We've had the furniture arranged for viewing from 11 feet and also from 9 feet. Viewing the 65" from 9 feet with DVD's and HD programming is by far the better experience, IMO.

I'd go with either a 56" or a 60" at that distance. I'm about 12ft away from a 56", and can get a bit closer and still watch comfortably.

I'd reccomend checking out the Samsung DLPs. Excellent picture quality,

Thanks for all the replies. I got out today for a look and although the 62 & 73 Mitsubishis look great and are huge, I found a deal on a 50 Panasonic Pro Plasma that I may have to consider. I was able to watch it for over an hour at a distance equal to what I will have in the theater room, (11) and it worked out really well. The picture was absolutely magnificent. I also saw a 50 Marantz but that is 2K more than the Panasonic Pro and if the Marantz is a 10, the Panosonic is a 9.5.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If the plasmas are considerably more, thats one thing but this is pretty close.

John & Damon I watch more TV than movies and I keep hearing that overhead projection is not the way to go in that case. Perhaps you guys should stop over for a cold one, check out the progress and bend my ear. I think Flanner still has a nice Sharpe for a good price.

Thanks for all the replies. I got out today for a look and although the 62 & 73 Mitsubishis look great and are huge, I found a deal on a 50 Pioneer Pro Plasma that I may have to consider. I was able to watch it for over an hour at a distance equal to what I will have in the theater room, (11) and it worked out really well. The picture was absolutely magnificent. I also saw a 50 Marantz but that is 2K more than the Pioneer Pro and if the Marantz is a 10, the Pioneer is a 9.5.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If the plasmas are considerably more, thats one thing but this is pretty close.

John & Damon I watch more TV than movies and I keep hearing that overhead projection is not the way to go in that case. Perhaps you guys should stop over for a cold one, check out the progress and bend my ear. I think Flanner still has a nice Sharpe for a good price.

Yo boomer - I have a very similar setup as yours and I settled on a 50" plasma (Pioneer). I spent quite a bit of time checking my primary seats and viewing angles. It was by far the winner as folks got closer to the screen and had to view from the sides. I replaced an older RPTV that was lacking in the side view capabilities.

I also found that a much larger screen was only good for the primary viewing seats in a smaller room. With the plasma I do believe I could have gone to 60" and been fine, but DLP and LCD projection for the larger screens really did not give the viewing angle clarity as advertised (IMHO).

I am very pleased that I have the brighter Plasma - this makes my regular TV viewing during the day quite easy on the eyes and brings a clarity to HD broadcasts that can be astounding.

good luck

boomac: Our first row seating is set up 10' away from the screen in a room that is 10.5' wide. Our front projection screen is 78" on the diagonal and the ceiling-mounted projector is 10.5' from the screen. The 78" screen seems to work perfectly for us. It's not too large and gives you the same feel or perspective you get when you are at the real movie theater.

I recommend going with a 60" if you can. My 50" is great at 9 feet. At 11 feet I think it would be a little small for long term use. The 2:1 rule is about right - you want to sit roughly twice the size of the screen away. Of course, it also depends on what you are used to. If you had a 27" before a 50" will look big.

One other thing to remember is that for a given screen size a widescreen TV has a lot less viewing area than a standard 4:3. I think a 32" old style is roughly a 42" wide screen in terms of viewing area.