Confess your dumass mistakes HERE!

Tom Adams

It's been a while since this thread was covered, so let's start it again and I'll go first.

After everything was up & running in our new dedicated HT (this past January), the wife & I were just beside ourselves. The picture from the Pany 900U was great, the Klipsches were doing their thing marvelously, all the new components were getting along with each other. Life was grand. Heck, one day I decided to re-do the speaker levels just to be sure I had everything spot on. So I get out my Rat Shack and meticulously go through each of the 7.1 channels. Perfect. The next day we sit down to give the HT a shake down run with 2 movies back-to-back.

During the first movie, something just didn't seem right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then the wife noticed it. And it was when a car or something went from right to left or vice versa. We felt sure that it was the movies fault or that maybe our mind was playing tricks on us.

Then it happened again during the second movie - Star Wars II. It was driving us nuts and me absolutely crazy. After some trouble shooting, it came down to the right and left channel XLR cable being connected INCORRECTLY to the B&K. Hello......Tom.....is anyone in there ya dumass??? [:$]

And this was after I labeled both ends of every cable AND after doing a speaker level setup. Which I still don't understand how in the hell I didn't catch it at the time. Duh......here's your sign. LOL.....

OK - who's next?? C'mon....it'll make ya feel better. [:)]

Tom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the last car I had, I installed a nice "stealth" stereo system in it. Everything was fine and dandy. It was durring summer time, about 1 o'clock in the morning and I was tired as heck. It was hot, muggy and the mosquitoes were out in full force, so I was kind of rushing things.

Anyway, after I got all the connections made and double checked all of the connections, I sat in the driver's seat, turned on the ignition and hit the power button on the headunit.

SNAP - SNAP!!!!!

The blade fuses in both amps blew, so I went through and checked ALL of the connections again. Fifteen minutes later, I put in two new fuses and hit the power button again.

SNAP - SNAP!!!!!

They both blew again! I finally said the heck with it and went to bed.

The next day after work I popped open the trunk and instantly (and I do mean instantly) noticed that I had the positive going to the negative and the negative going to the positive on both amps! These were the main 4 AWG power cables going to each amp! It's not like they were real small and hard to see or something.

I won't go into detail of all the things I was yelling to myself after I figured it out. [:$]

Not audio related but recently when I was building my custom PC water cooling system I ordered a crap load of 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD tubing thinking in my head that it was 1/2" ID, and then to top it off the place didn't accept returns on custom cut tubing, dang what a waste of tubing, I did end up keeping it just incase i needed some 3/8" ID medical grade tubing.

I'm pretty sure that can pass as a dumbass mistake

...you mean like watching your new home theater system that you spent a lot of time and money on and not REALLY enjoying the movies 'cuz it just sounds "OK" to you and finding that you have been listening in ANALOGUE and not DIGITAL??? You mean something REALLY STUPID like that???[:$][:o][:P][:D]...Bill

Um lots over my 44 year life:

In no particular order

1: deciding the extension cord made up of a coil of telephone wire(the stuff on poles, not in your house) was too long and cutting it with a pair of uninsulated plyers while it was still plugged in.

2: Heading down the stairs and realizing in mid air that I had just removed the temporary construction steps and the oak steps where not in yet.

3: spending hours installing a high end car audio system with mega watts, electronic cross overs etc and instantly blowing a set of high end tweeters because they where connected to the mid outputs.

4: Finally in bed with the drop dead gorgeous college girl I was chasing after for years and telling her that we had to stop because I just started dating someone else.

5: Having listened to my dad when he said : "Son, never sleep with a woman that you would not marry"... and staying a virgin for more than half my life...

6: Breaking up with the beautiful blond with the Belgian accent and the rich dad because she did not provide me with enough intelectual conversation. Darn, where was the Klipsch Forum back then?

Oh, yes, and another one.

Visiting a laser lab at my local university and, simultaneoulsy putting my hand thru the beam and asking "How powerfull is this laser?"

Good lesson. I did not do the same thing while visiting the nuclear fusion research lab a few months later...

Here is my dumass mistake. I used the search to find the other thread it was in.[:D]

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/543319.aspx

So Tom were the thinking the guys that mixed the sound were all messed up??

Steve

As crazy as it might sound Steve - yes. I mean, the first movie we watched (I had agreed to let my dughter pick it out) was Barbie Princess Cinderella 3D (horrible 3D effect BTW). And the next movie we watched was some comedy movie. So it wasn't like we saw a flick that really showcased surround channel info in all its glory. And when we DID start watching a decent flick, we just knew that the sound engineers had totally eff'd up the audio track. I mean.....far be it from me to make such a simple mistake. Shyeah.....right.

Oh - and did I mention the time I had the unmitigated audacity to yell at the (then) wife to sit still and quit squirming around cause she was making our Sea-Doo PWC wallow from side-to-side?? Then, while throttling up (mind you, we're out past the "no wake" bouy's at this point), coming to the realization that the reason it was NOT planning out and was handling like a pig was because I had FORGOTTEN TO SCREW IN THE DRAIN PLUGS!! [:$] [:@] Fortunately, I just managed to get the PWC back to the boat ramp before it sank. But the worst part was the amount of crow I had to eat.

Tom

Oh Tom I have done that one. We were at lake Travis near Austin, and forgot to put in the plug. Started noticing that she was sitting funny in the water and looked back to see water being slung here and there by the engine belts. Had to beach the boat and jump overboard to install the plug. I think there was about 2 feet of water in the back end, took the bilge pump a while to get it all out. My buddy got back from parking the truck and was like....... "whats up".....

Steve

But seriously.. one of the dumbest mistakes I made involved a double date to the Lowell (MI) Showboat c. 1966 to see Bob Newhart.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As a junior in high school, I thought the Lowell Showboat was a floating nightclub and that it would be a very sophisticated evening. The guys wore sport coats and ties (and pants) and the girls were dressed accordingly.

Instead of a floating nightclub, the Lowell Showboat was a barge that was docked at the river bank in front of bleachers. It was a hot summer evening. We were the only guys in the audience not wearing strap-Ts. Our dates were mortified and thought we were morons.

The warm-up act was a ventriloquist with a chicken for a dummy. He billed the act as, The Worlds Foulest Chicken. The jokes were blue, but Richard Pryor he wasnt.

Newhart was funny and we had a pleasant time, once we ditched the coats and ties and resigned ourselves to sitting outside on bleachers, rather than at a table in a club. Sophistication and teenager are oxymoronic.