Confess your dumass mistakes HERE!

Tom Adams

Hm, where to begin? ...OK, last Fall I bought a pair of ADS HT400 speakers to possibly replace my B&W 703's, assuming my in-home audition went well. I was bi-amping the B&W's with my Pioneer Elite 55TXi receiver driving the mid and tweeter of each speaker, while my old Sony 55ES amp powered the woofers. Before switching speaker leads from the B&W's to ADS's, I turned off the receiver, but I forgot to turn off the Sony amp, so...you can probably guess what happened next. While handling the speaker leads I thought were dead, I allowed the hot lead from the Sony amp to contact the lead from the receiver --pop-BANG!!! ...gee, what's that smell[:'(] Net result: a 7.1 channel receiver AND a stereo amp with blown output transistors. They were out of commision for a couple of months. I think the doctor bill for the amp was around $150 and almost $200 on the receiver.

I'm supposed to feel better now? I dunno, I still feel just as stupid as before...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diz...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...Dumas mistake...I'm dying here!!!

Bill

Bill

That sure was a Dumas mistake, you Dickens!

OMIGOSH...did I really say that??? why, I am a Dickens [:$]... Diz, how 'bout it used to be my favorite candy bar! [:P][:D]

I have another one, but I guess age had a lot to do with it at the time. Anyway...

When I was about 11 years old, I got my first piece of "hand-me-down" stereo equipment. It was an old '77 (I think) Technics tape deck from my brother (jt1stcav). I set it on top of this little plastic bookshelf next to my bed. The closest power outlet was directly behind my bed.

So I drape the power cord over the headboard and hang it back behind the bed. I moved the pillow out of the way, layed down, reached back between the matress and headboard to the wall and the outlet. I felt around and found the plug of the power cord. Thinking that I had my fingers on the plug and not on the prongs, I searched for the outlet and went to plug in the power cord.

As I was plugging, I was wondering why my arm and head were humming, so I pulled away from the wall. I sat a second and tried it again, and the same thing happened. So I put my face up against the wall and looked down and noticed that I did in fact have my fingers on the prongs! OOPS! [:$]

Later on that night, I told my father what I did, and he told me that that wonderful hum I was feeling in my arm and hearing in my head was the great 60 cycle hum of 110 volts AC running through my body. He laughed and advised me that it would be in my best interests to not do it again anytime soon.

An old friend of mine turned me on to a little trick . Putting the cassette deck on pause during record and cranking the the imput level . In effect making a power booster . Realy , Realy Loud , for about 10 seconds , before completely blowing my Sony speakers . And ultimately contributing to my Sony receivers demise . This was around 1979 . There was this other time that we hooked up his Koss Pro AAA headphones to the speaker output of his receiver . I'm sure we both suffered some hearing damage from that one ...

When I was a high school student back in the late 1960s, my bedroom had a table lamp on a nightstand beside the bed. One day the switch for the lamp broke off while it was in the "on" position, so the lamp still worked--you just couldn't switch it off.

Instead of fixing the switch, I decided to just unscrew the bulb when I wanted to turn the lamp off. That strategy worked fine for a few weeks. Then one day I screwed the bulb in a little too firmly. When I tried to unscrew it later, it didn't budge. So I twisted a little harder and the glass bulb snapped off the base. The bulb collapsed into broken shards of glass in my hand, and before I could release my grip my hand closed down around the electrified wires inside the bulb, shocking the #$#&@ out of me. The filament was extinguished by the event, so there went the only light in the room, and I'm sitting in the dark, with a bloody, burned hand full of broken glass. Nasty smell, too.

I made a mental note never to unscrew an illuminated light bulb again.

triceratops

1) Not looking backwards while vacuuming a pool...

and silently walking off the deck to the ground below.

2) During a renovation project, temporarily bracing a

wall and thinking to myself that it could be a hazard to someone

walking by, and slamming my nose into it about an hour later.

3) Not disconnecting the car's battery while working on it's electrical system.

4) Using a screwdriver to open a car's choke and forgetting it there when closing the hood.

A couple of years ago I put my motorbike inside the house, in a small room at the back to work on it. One evening a friend of mine came to visit and I wanted to impress him with the enginesound of the beast (very heavy Suzuki GSX1100, 1981). I opened the doors to let the fumes out. And with a grin I pushed the startbutton. To our surpise the bike jumped a foot forward, off the sidestand and crashed into the wall, destroying a chair, table, cupboard, a beautiful african drum and the wall itself. I left it in gear...[|-)]

My jaw was still hanging when my neighbor entered the room wide eyed with his baseball bat in hand. He thought there were burglars!

1) Not looking backwards while vacuuming a pool... and silently walking off the deck to the ground below.

2) During a renovation project, temporarily bracing a wall and thinking to myself that it could be a hazard to someone walking by, and slamming my nose into it about an hour later.

3) Not disconnecting the car's battery while working on it's electrical system.

4) Using a screwdriver to open a car's choke and forgetting it there when closing the hood.

Ah yes. Deja Vu.

I was using a socket under the hood of a Mustang once (mind you, the battery was disconnected) but then decided to just put the wrench down anywhere. It ended up being on the exact spot between a terminal and the block and I arc-welded a good wrench to the engine.

Oh, and during one very rushed car audio install I connected a relay to the dome light so I could only use the stereo when the door was open. That's a funny sight going down the highway.

AHHH. One more :) I was replacing an extension cord end (I sheared it off with hedge clippers, but that's not the stupid part.....per se) and took the cord outside to use. When I picked up two ends to plug them together I realized two female ends will not plug together. No matter how much you yell at them. :o

I like this thread!

A couple of years ago I put my motorbike inside the house, in a small room at the back to work on it. One evening a friend of mine came to visit and I wanted to impress him with the enginesound of the beast (very heavy Suzuki GSX1100, 1981). I opened the doors to let the fumes out. And with a grin I pushed the startbutton. To our surpise the bike jumped a foot forward, off the sidestand and crashed into the wall, destroying a chair, table, cupboard, a beautiful african drum and the wall itself. I left it in gear...[|-)]

My jaw was still hanging when my neighbor entered the room wide eyed with his baseball bat in hand. He thought there were burglars!

ROTFLMFAO.............dude - I think you just might be the winner so far. The visual I had of your, uh....., event was classic. It reminded me of something a friend of mine did.......

He had brought his bike into his house for the winter and decided to winterize the engine by putting some oil in the cylinders. So he takes the spark plugs out, puts some oil in each cylinder and then thinks to himself, "Hmmmm......should probably turn the engine over to coat the cylinder walls." So he turns the key, thumbs the starter, and THERE SHE BLOWS!!! He said that before he could release the starter button, it blew oil out everywhere - on him, the walls, the ceiling....it was a mess.

Tom

This isn't really a dumass mistake, but funny nonetheless.......

A few years back a close friend of mine & I were going to ride to a motorcycle rally together. So, I put my ZX9R (Kawasaki sport bike) in my truck and drive to his place. We unload my bike, put it in his basement garage, and grab a bite to eat. At dinner we talked about stuff and at one point I mention that in prep'ing for the trip I put on a new tires, changed the oil, new plugs, etc.

The next morning we get up, get some breakfast, I tell Randy I'm gonna go get my stuff ready and he says, "Ok, I'll be down in the garage." As I get close to the door leading down to the garage, I hear Randy say, "Tom....didn't you tell me last night you did an oil change?" I say yes. He replies with, "Well....you better come take a look at this."

I get down there and underneath the bike is a small puddle of oil. Frantically I get on my hands & knees, look up under and sure enough, there's oil dripping off the bottom of the case and I can see through the fairing that there appears to be oil around the screw-on filter. Knowing how much of a PITA it is to removed the bodywork to get to the filter, I go off.......

"Sonafab*tch!!! I can't believe this. I know I tightened everything. This is just great. Lovely - just f*ckin' lovely! Sonafab*tch!! This is just my damn luck. Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT!!" [:@] [:@]

In the middle of my full blown rant (still on my knees looking at the leak), I hear Randy say, "Here's a rag to wipe the oil off the case." I turn around, look up, and Randy has a rag in one hand, an oil squirt can in the other, a sh*t eating grin on his face and says, "Gotcha!"

I went from totally pissed off at him to LMAO. We musta laughed about that off & on all weekend. Great prank - but I eventually got him back. And we've never been even since. LOL...... [:D]

Tom

Talking about pranks.

We had a guy at work that was a know it all, you know the type. Well some of the guys got together and built a box with some cannon plugs on it and a couple of switches and labled it up real nice. Took in into the tool room and let the tool room attendant know what they were doing. Then they asked Mr. know it all if he knew how to do the test on the "rudder compensator" (which by the way didn't exsist on a convair). They did tell him about the "rudder compinsator test box" tho...haha. They let him spend all night acting like he knew what he was doing, even asking him why it was taking so long. To this day it is known as the "arco box". Since it was 18 years ago there are not too many people still around here that remember that night, but Arco is still here. I think that has been the best prank I have ever seen pulled on someone else here at work.

Steve

I once called my girlfriend the wrong name at the most inoportune time imaginable. Hows that for Dumb?

hey what happened to the spell check? 1 n or 2? whatever you get the point. Class act dumbass[H]

LOL....

when I was in college, I dated 2 Lauras at the same time for a semester. Luckily, I didnt have that problem.

I once called my girlfriend the wrong name at the most inoportune time imaginable. Hows that for Dumb?

hey what happened to the spell check? 1 n or 2? whatever you get the point. Class act dumbass[H]

LOL....

when I was in college, I dated 2 Lauras at the same time for a semester. Luckily, I didnt have that problem.

Ho man......one summer I dated a co-summer hire girl name Julie. Her hot-as-hell step Mom (I've often thought I dated Julie just to be able to be around her step Mom) was named Judy. And the hot hard-body summer hire in our dept. was named Jody. Can't possibly tell you how many times I did the "Hey Jod....I mean.....Jud.....uh, Julie....." [:$]

And then there was the time I was having dinner with some chick I had been dating for almost a year and the parents of a good friend of mine walk up to the table. I was so zoned-in on having the perfect manners and performing the text book introduction that I said, "Hi Mr. & Mrs. VanDerLey, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend..........(insert complete & total brain lock-up and classic blank stare)" Her name would NOT come to mind for nuthin'. I looked at her and then at them and then back at her and after what seemed like 30 minutes, she says, "Bridgett.....my name is Bridgett." [:$] [:$]

Tom