Confess your dumass mistakes HERE!

Tom Adams

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I installed a standalone EMS in my car I also did some maintenance at the same time.

One of the things I did was install a new set of spark plug wires.

I got everything up and running but the engine made absolutely no power.

I spent about a week messing with the cam timing and the fuel maps and spark maps before I realised I'd installed plug wires 2 and 4 in the wrong positions.

• Moderators

Ok i have many dumass mistakes just need to think of some.

This was not my mistake but

Along time ago i worked for an electrical contractor and we were pulling wire in a chemical plant . We got to a point where we had to go thru about 400 feet of 3" conduit . so we had to shoot a bird [small roll of string made to blow thru conduit] ,you tie the end of the string off to something and blow it thru the pipe, and then tie a larger rope to the end and pull it thru,that is the rope you tie to the cable to pull it thru the pipe.

Ok i get in a bucket truck an lift myself up on the pole 20' where the pipe ends, and the other guy gets on the other end of the pipe with a bottle of compressed air to blow the bird thru.

I am up there with my ear on the side of the pipe listening to hear if the bird was coming, that was the last thing i heard. a while later i heard rocks hitting the bucket i was in. They were throwing rocks at the bucket, they thought i fell asleep up there. After i came down with a bad headache we figured out what happend .

He had used a bottle of oxygen to blow the bird thru and i had passed out for a few minutes from the pure oxygen. We were very lucky ,it could have blew the whole conduit up from underground and maby the chemical plant we were in.

More to come.

• Moderators

Just thought of my best dumass mistake

Bought a piece of land ,11 acres and split it 5.5 acres each with my {good} friend and never used a lawyer. After paying a couple of years of payments to get it paid for ,turns out his wife spent the money we paid. He diden't say anything in the 2 years about no payments? nothing. Went to court with receipts and the judge said " he wanted to make an example of us for not going thru a lawyer, this kind of thing clogs up the courts". So we had 30 days to come up with the cash to buy our half or just end up with lein on the property.

We came up with the money and used a lawer to get it done by the book, a few weeks later the other couple got a divorce and we still don't talk to them.

That dumass mistake cost me the most of all my dumass mistakes.

USE A LAWYER

Well, here is my best or worst mistake, however you want to look at it. Working at my first job when I was a little G, it was closing time at the restaurant where I grew up. The waitresses had started bleaching the iced tea pitchers, and a table of two came in. Well I'm sure you can see where this is going....I grab the ice water w/ bleach in it and proceed to give them what I thought was ice water.....The guy drank, and I somehow did not lose my job. I believe he was compensated rather nicely with some nice new toys. Luckily it was not more serious. Now whenever I go to restaurants I make sure and smell the water before drinking...

Ahh... there's so many :)

A couple that come to mind off hand are:

When younger..riding my bike on my paper route & looking backwards at the time & riding right into the back of a parked car.

Or, having my mountainbike mounted on top of the car & trying to pull the car into the garage.

A while back after a night of a little over drinking I awoke with the sudden urge to visit the restroom. Knowing my wife cannot stand the sound of a person vomiting, AND not wanting to hear any grief from her about over drinking in the first place, I decide to try and make it to the downstairs bathroom..... bad idea. As I am decending the stairs, I cover my mouth and out it starts to come... ugh, as I make it to the bathroom, I have vomit dripping everywhere. Our downstairs bathroom is next to the laundry room, so I just strip & clean myself up and decide to just lay on the couch dowstairs until morning. When morning comes, I get up feeling much better and start to make my way back up the stairs, when I notice that the walls look a little different. Upon further inspection I realize that when I had covered my mouth, it must have just sprayed everywhere. There was vomit all over the walls & celing of the staircase... looked like a vomit bomb went off! I spent half the day cleaning.

This week, pulling my truck out of the garage & pinching the passenger side mirror up against the garage & hearing the glass go "pow" (found out today that was a $177.00 mistake)

There are more, I will post when I think of them.

I had an apartment with a A/C unit that stuck out the window. I was cleaning the filter as it was running and a tool fell down the top vent so I stuck my hand down there to retrieve it. That big metal fan broke my finger and sliced it open--

I remember thinking Why Why Why?

And, hey, as mistakes in my life go--there's so many more--

I had an apartment with a A/C unit that stuck out the window. I was cleaning the filter as it was running and a tool fell down the top vent so I stuck my hand down there to retrieve it. That big metal fan broke my finger and sliced it open--

I remember thinking Why Why Why?

And, hey, as mistakes in my life go--there's so many more--

I have to admit I chuckled at the "whywhywhy" part... That has happened to me, only usually police are involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot my wife's birthday was the 11th of April, walked in the house to find birthday cards from family and friends on display. NOT GOOD! We will be going on a shopping trip this weekend to make amends. We have only been married for 26 years; You would think that I could remember it by now. Bill

Just thought of my best dumass mistake

Bought a piece of land ,11 acres and split it 5.5 acres each with my {good} friend and never used a lawyer. After paying a couple of years of payments to get it paid for ,turns out his wife spent the money we paid. He diden't say anything in the 2 years about no payments? nothing. Went to court with receipts and the judge said " he wanted to make an example of us for not going thru a lawyer, this kind of thing clogs up the courts". So we had 30 days to come up with the cash to buy our half or just end up with lein on the property.

We came up with the money and used a lawer to get it done by the book, a few weeks later the other couple got a divorce and we still don't talk to them.

That dumass mistake cost me the most of all my dumass mistakes.

USE A LAWYER

dtel:

...that's not what Shakespeare said... ;) ...Bill