Pics of my new Chorus II's/HT

Mike Lindsey

Here is a couple of pics of new HT setup. I just picked up some 1990 Chorus II's in Medium Oak and moved my Chorus I's in Finished Black to the rear. Hopefully, my next purchase will be another pair of RS-3's (or RS-7's) that I will place on top of my Chorus I's (facing one another) for movies.

I haven't had a real chance to listen to this setup but my first impression is "I like it... A lot!" Smile.gif I'm still fidgeting with placement. I originally had them about 10 more inches off the wall but just recently pushed them back in. I think I like them where they are but next week I'll probably change my mind.

Anywho, I'm starting to get to where I want to be. One day I may try some tubes for 2-channel mode. My next big project is getting my bedroom system set up. I'm hoping to build some custom shelves on the wall that match my bedroom set and incorporate the new Heresy's I just picked up. I just finished getting my Yamaha M-4 amp and C-4 preamp to work and am pretty excited about hearing the Heresy's (with some minor tweaks) through this system. Will keep you posted...

Mike

Hey, Mike... is that a Hsu 1225 sub just in front and to the left of your left main?

BTW, love that medium oak finish on your new Chorus pair... my oiled oak Fortes don't have that nice dark contrast in the grain.

I'm sure it's going to sound great; it doesn't look like it will take too much wattage to fill the room.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Adcom GCD-700 CD Player

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

About the med oak.... Those don't look anything like the med oak finish of my 5.5s. They DO look like the oiled oak of my 3.2s I used to have. They look awesome!

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Thanks alot for the replys, guys. t-man is correct, the Chorus II's are oiled oak (my CF-2's were Medium Oak - my mistake) and almost match my wall units. All 5 of my main speakers are now 39" high, including the SVS subwoofer. The sub is slightly elevated because of the spikes. Steve, I am using the Chorus I's as my rear surrounds but have everything set to "small". I'm wondering what would happen if I set them all to "large"? I think I read somewhere (hometheaterforum.com?) that I should set all speakers to "small" for best results. Anyway, I still plan on fiddling with things until I get the sound I'm looking for. I appreciate all the responses...

Mike

I set my Quartets to large, and have everything else set to small. I have the sub set to THX + mains , that sends full signal to the Quartets, and LFE to the sub. I played around with the settings, and found that this sounded better to me. I still keep trying it both ways, and now the the SVS I find that it handles the LFE alot better then the KSW-12 ever did.

For a "true" THX system, you are supposed to set all speakers to small, and set the sub to THX. But it all comes down to what sounds better to you in the end.

That is cool how all the speakers are 39" tall......keeps everything equal. I was going to purchase a SVS 25-31pc just to keep it the same exact height as the Quartets, but the great deal on the 16-46pc came along and I didn't mind the height not matching.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Steve - Thanks for the info on the speaker settings. I think I will play around with it a bit and see what I like best. I would have to think when those guys on HTF said to set all speakers to small they didn't have four 15's in their setup. Smile.gif

Mike - If you have the room, I would go for two of the SVS's. If you look in picture HT5, you will notice I have just enough room to stick another 20-39CS on the other side of the fireplace. It's not the ideal location, but it's the only place I can put it. I hope to have it by the spring of next year...

Mike

Colin,

I think the room is just 14' x 17' but the ceilings are 10' high. Not quite sure what you mean by "do you play around with the disc at all?"

Before I forget, I hope to get you a copy of the frequency response specs for the Heritage speakers by the end of the week. BTW, really enjoyed meeting you and hope you get a chance to stop by next time in you're in my neck of the woods. Smile.gif

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 10-29-2001 at 11:08 AM

Howdy.

Okay I'm interested in these SVS subs.

But I mostly listen to music.

So as most folks have done, is scour the net

for reviews and opinions on the product.

(You can't hear them unless someone you know has

them.)

One particular site, which is just a consumer review

site, rate 5 stars on the SVS's out of a quite a bit of reviews.

The real only negative thing I had read,(which is strange, there is always some negative feedback.)

was someone who had a pair of 16/46's in a larger size

room, and had bottomed them out.

He eventually swapped the 16hz port for a 20hz.

It then gave him the depth and punch he so desired.

Who knows why he bottomed them out, but my question is:

I will listen to mostly music, and would like to

purchase the 16/46 (Height does not matter).

Do these subs come with various ports and be purchased?

For tuning to 16hz, 20hz etc?

They'll be doing more music than home theater

if and when purchased.

your replies are appreciated.

THANX!

Mike Stehr.

cwm22.gif

Well I'll tell you what.......if he bottomed out the SVS then he didn't have his system tuned in correctly. I have my entire system tuned to 75db, with the sub around 80db using the internal test tones of the Denon. I watched Phantom Menace last week with the volume at +10 and it never bottomed out my SVS 16-46pc. I was trying to bottom it out and keep going up 5 on the volume and replaying the THX intro. It got to the point where it was so loud, and so much bass that I just gave up trying to bottom it out and just enjoyed the sound it was putting out.

You really can't go wrong with a SVS, once you get one you won't want any other sub.

------------------

Home Theater Page

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by myram:

I set my Quartets to large, and have everything else set to small. I have the sub set to THX + mains , that sends full signal to the Quartets, and LFE to the sub. I played around with the settings, and found that this sounded better to me. I still keep trying it both ways, and now the the SVS I find that it handles the LFE alot better then the KSW-12 ever did.

For a "true" THX system, you are supposed to set all speakers to small, and set the sub to THX. But it all comes down to what sounds better to you in the end.

I don't understand this at all. If you spend the money on huge surround speakers specifically to handle the full range of your rear left/right/center, why the heck would you set your surround to small??

Every single speaker in my setup is set to large. Gladiator in 6.1 DTS sounds phenomenal!

Am I missing something?

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

quote:

Originally posted by myram:

Well I'll tell you what.......if he bottomed out the SVS then he didn't have his system tuned in correctly. I have my entire system tuned to 75db, with the sub around 80db using the internal test tones of the Denon. I watched Phantom Menace last week with the volume at +10 and it never bottomed out my SVS 16-46pc. I was trying to bottom it out and keep going up 5 on the volume and replaying the THX intro. It got to the point where it was so loud, and so much bass that I just gave up trying to bottom it out and just enjoyed the sound it was putting out.

You really can't go wrong with a SVS, once you get one you won't want any other sub.

Myram -

The Powered SVS subs have a electronic "choke" or clamp circuit that prevents the subs from bottoming out by reducing the voltage input on large signals. This is a saftey feature.

The unpowered subs do not have this feature and are actually quite easy to bottom out given enough amp power (say 500watts or so) and a demanding passage (THX intro to Star Wars) and reference level listening.

Having said that if the bottoming out is occuring reguarly then more woofage is needed or listening levels need to be reduced.

Don't get me wrong SVS's are awsome subs (I own the 20-39CS) and worth every stinkin' penny.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Mike, you have a very nice setup there. IMHO, you should use your Chorus's for movies and music and not worry about another pair of RS-3's. Also, you should certainly experiment with running the Chorus's as "large". However, you will probably have to do a lot of experimenting with the crossover point for your sub so as not to end up with boomy bass at certain frequencies. For example, if your room, like most rooms, has a bass peak at around 63hz, 4 Chorus's and a sub all pumping out at that frequency will undoubtedly be too much of a good thing. If possible I would start out trying the sub crossed over at about 35hz with the Chorus's set to large. Of course this assumes that your home theater processor will allow you this flexibility. Most processors have a fixed crossover at 80-90hz. If so, there are ways around that problem, but that would be for another post.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100