No highs no lows it must be bose...........

dp1954

Now I ain't looking to get flamed just asking a simple question.. Have any of you guys heard the bose system that you can buy in newer cars these days? I'm a diehard klipsch fan but during my journey through different systems I have tried bose 301's, 501's, and the bose wave radio. They all stunk except the radio which wasn't bad for what it was. But way overpriced. The car stereo though I have been pretty impressed by. Not the best by any means but not bad overall. To bad Klipsch doesn't sale a similar system for todays automobiles. Any thoughts. Maybe I should stick a pair of heresies in the back seat. Now that might really sound decent.

Dave

I for one don't want to ever see Klipsch start a car audio line, EVER. there are already enough car audio brands out there, Klipsch doesn't need to be one of them. I really dont know why I wouldn't want to see Klipsch car speakers, I just don't. It might be due to the fact that I am just not a car audio person, I'd rather listen to the engine and road noise, rather then a mixture of engine, road noise, screaming kids, and on top of that music.

Me, if I have to ride I want some tunes to listen to. But there certainly isn't anthing wrong with the sound of a big v8 with dual exhaust. That too is music to my ears. The radio helps tune out the wife and kids. Maybe I should hook up some headphones?

I for one don't want to ever see Klipsch start a car audio line, EVER. there are already enough car audio brands out there, Klipsch doesn't need to be one of them. I really dont know why I wouldn't want to see Klipsch car speakers, I just don't. It might be due to the fact that I am just not a car audio person, I'd rather listen to the engine and road noise, rather then a mixture of engine, road noise, screaming kids, and on top of that music.

RIGHT ON BRO!!! Double RIGHT ON!!!

It'd be nice to hear some music(or simply just some sound to keep you awake or busy) in the car especially hitting traffic. However too many people are just cranking the volume all the way up and abusing the bass. I know music is quite subjective but not having 100+db bass with 50db mid/high for me(all I hear is just the noise of glasses are vibrating as they loose)

And I can appreciate the music that my home system can reproduce after I sat in my car for half an hour and heard some average music quality from stock audio.

I have a bose system in my infiniti. It is to say better than stock. I used to like the sound but after listening to my ifi I find it not direct but distant and echoy. Sorta hallow too. Harsh at the extreme end.

Also well of late other audio companies have gotten in. Lynn is in aston martin, Audi has Bang & Olufsen now with the acoustic lenses. I mean Bose has the market but now Mercedes offers the Harmon over the Bose, though half the line is bose still but the newer models have Harmon. Acura have some acclaimed audio producer make their speakers, Lexus has Mark Levinson. The Maybach though has a 1000 watt Bose system with 20 speakers....... with supposedly 1 hp of speakers *me laughs*

But done well it can sound really good though the horns are a space concern.....

Also on the road when listening to tunes I find it more enjoyable then listening on a sofa or so... I dunno maybe it is because I am moving and in motion with the music. Also I can rock on with it blasting on the highway (I have no sub so no real crazy loud) where no neighbor or concern of noise to other people. I do not drive in the neighborhoods with my speakers blaring and windows rolled down.

Hey Jay, Infinity nice ride. Do you realise that you kinda make the point of the Top of the Line cars have Top of the Line sound systems? I guess such nice cars deserve better sound. On the whole, single young guys and lady's, tend to have nice systems in their cars, because it where they spend most of their time. They don't own their own home, or they live at home, and their parents don't want to hear their music, or they're college students with no money, no space. A home system doesn't fit their lifestyle at the present time, but will in the future. I know that there is a small group that has nice home equipment, but the majority spend their bucks on car audio, and that's good.I'll bet 80% of forum members had decent stereos in their rides when they were young and single, and as they grew older, invested in home equipment, and just listened to whatever stereo came with the cars they bought, maybe a speaker change along the way. I sometimes wish instead of wasting money on car stereos, which at the time, didn't have the choices the people have today, I have bought K-horns instead. Oh my mispent youth, if I had only known!

s'funny you ask that...my 1st "nice" stereo system (I 'm dating myself here) had Bose 301s...(1978?) and I thought they sounded fine...still do but not even in the same league as Klipsch...I have had several cars with the Bose Audio and had been pleased...up until about a year and a half ago (when I found this place)...after listening to music at home on the Heresys or the K'Horns...then getting into my car (both right now have Bose car systems) I find I really dislike the car systems...oh, I can listen to it but I don't think anything special about them...plus I can't wait to get home and listen to my Klipsch...'course, the Bose does pretty well on Talk Radio shows...[:P][;)]...Bill

I tend to agree with this statement for my purposes also. Car audio has a high noise floor to overcome, leading to some weird compromises. I guess I could see wanting something really nice if I had a super quiet luxury car. The problem with that (and headphones) is that it is inherently more dangerous not to be able to hear at least some outside noise IMO.

Actually, many high end car speakers are rebaged Vifa, scanspeak, etc. there is nothing fundamentally different between a car speaker and a home speaker except for form factor and some resistance to moisture. Car tweeters will use Neodymium magnets because they are much smaller. Some High end mid/woofers also use neo magnets.

The Klipsch in wall line would probably make very good car speakers, except the horn tweeters may be harder to mount.

Many home speaker companies such as Boston, Polk, JM/Focal, CDT and others are quite successful in car speakers.

Note that most Bose car systems do use separate woofers and tweeters. But I have thought of using the small cubes mounted up front in the dash. They may work well with a xover freq of 200-300 hertz, with in door mids and a real subwoofer.

The big problem with car systems is speaker placement, time allignment, separation of the bottom door mids and in dash tweeter, reflections off the dash and windshield etc. It is really a bad environment for quality sound.

Hey Jay, Infinity nice ride. Do you realise that you kinda make the point of the Top of the Line cars have Top of the Line sound systems? I guess such nice cars deserve better sound. On the whole, single young guys and lady's, tend to have nice systems in their cars, because it where they spend most of their time. They don't own their own home, or they live at home, and their parents don't want to hear their music, or they're college students with no money, no space. A home system doesn't fit their lifestyle at the present time, but will in the future. I know that there is a small group that has nice home equipment, but the majority spend their bucks on car audio, and that's good.I'll bet 80% of forum members had decent stereos in their rides when they were young and single, and as they grew older, invested in home equipment, and just listened to whatever stereo came with the cars they bought, maybe a speaker change along the way. I sometimes wish instead of wasting money on car stereos, which at the time, didn't have the choices the people have today, I have bought K-horns instead. Oh my mispent youth, if I had only known!

Oh haha, noo my infiniti is just a G20 2002. The last year it was made, it is a compact car with an inline 4 making a paltry 145 hp. We got it at 21000 dollars which was cheaper than the equivalent honda accord with leather seats and same options which hit oh like 26000

Also you are absolutely right about stereo systems in car, lack of space, parents not wanting to hear it, teens driving more then being home.

I don't know about a Klipsch car system. Horn speakers in that small of a space would be too hard on the ears.

Lexus does make a few cars with factory Mark Levinson sound systems; my roommate has an ES400 something-or-other with one. Personally, I hate Lexus (and most Jap cars, for that matter), but the Levinson systems do sound awesome.

For what you probably pay for the upgrade, you could go down to the local car audio shop and buy "actual" car audio components and have some real sound. It's been over a decade since I had anything in my car, but I do know the difference between "stock premium" and real car audio. Some Alpine separates up front (not the $20 kind you find in your new car) a good Clarion CD player, a couple small amps and a nice RF or JL sub. Replace the weather stripping in your doors and tighten all your loose screws before enjoying. You'll have a nice quiet ride and some nice tunes.

Very different sound and environment, but worlds better than "stock premium."

I agree with Cal. I would never place a system in an auto that was not stock in appearance. Those stickers you see on cars advertising their car audio gear (like Infinity, Orion, MBQuart, and so forth) are simply advertisements to "steal the electronics in my ride". It's like telling a thief to "come and get it".

As much as I like good audio, I have refrained from putting anything in the car that is not stock....and since my listening habits in-car are news and talk as well, I really see no reason to change the car audio system. I would rather put those $$ into the home systems.

In regard to these "high end" stock offerings, the prices charged are WAYYYY in excess of the performance (especially if you are buying the car new). I get more value from the simple 4 speakers with an AM/FM/CD head unit in standard stock form. These high end stock systems are good in regards to theft resistance, though......at least they are built into the car, as stock, and therefore "hide" themselves better, and generally have head unit security codes to render the head unit useless if it is stolen.

For what you probably pay for the upgrade, you could go down to the local car audio shop and buy "actual" car audio components and have some real sound. It's been over a decade since I had anything in my car, but I do know the difference between "stock premium" and real car audio. Some Alpine separates up front (not the $20 kind you find in your new car) a good Clarion CD player, a couple small amps and a nice RF or JL sub. Replace the weather stripping in your doors and tighten all your loose screws before enjoying. You'll have a nice quiet ride and some nice tunes.

Very different sound and environment, but worlds better than "stock premium."

Paid??? [8-)]

I had no choise is more like it since it came standard?

I like to buy products from American companies whenever possible. Also, it seems like everybody (and their brother) is driving a Lexus, Camry, 4Runner, you name it. I like to be different. I'm more of a muscle-car guy myself. I just sold my 1970 Dodge Challenger. I spent a year restoring it and hot-rodding it - I'd put it up against just about any import car on the dragstrip.

I like to buy products from American companies whenever possible. Also, it seems like everybody (and their brother) is driving a Lexus, Camry, 4Runner, you name it. I like to be different. I'm more of a muscle-car guy myself. I just sold my 1970 Dodge Challenger. I spent a year restoring it and hot-rodding it - I'd put it up against just about any import car on the dragstrip.

I used to be the same way. Had a mustang I suped up. After all the heavy metal and costly upgrades it was disheartening to realize you can throw a small turbo into a little japanese front wheel drive and turn a 5 or 6 second 0-60. And it'll last you into 300k miles. Ugh. My mind's made up.