How do old school Klipsch compare to new?

Rick

I am thinking about either going with RB-81's or a used pair of vintage Klipsch for my newly aquired Rotel RX-603. They will be used for listening to classic rock, country, folk, and jazz music on. Any thoughts? I do like good bass response.

Vintage -- but only if you're prepared to spend a bit more money on top of the purchase price to get them to a less compromised level (new networks, wiring, and tweeter). I would never own or listen to a pair without at least rebuilding the networks with premium parts.

rick88,

Any of the Heritage series, Forte, or Chorus speakers will give you good bass response and could match up nice with your Rotel. I own some Chorus II speakers and once owned Fortes II speakers and they will do it all and louder than you will ever need! Sometimes you can get a set off ebay cheap. Keep an eye out for local sells to avoid shipping cost. You find a set local and maybe they'll let you bring your Rotel over to hook up to the speakers first to see if it works for you before you decide to bid. I waited for a set of Klipschorns ebay local and it worked out great for me! The seller allowed me to come and check them out during the auction. He ended up being a really nice man. Of course he was a Klipsch owner. I got them real cheap too. They looked rough then, but not anymore.

Dean,

I'm quite happy with my new 05 LaScalas, but how many years do you think it will take before I should be thinking about upgrading the networks and such? Ten, fifteen, maybe twenty?

I think the same thing - my 05 LaScalas have the AL-4 network which is 6th order - that qualifies as an extreme slope (36dB/octave) doesn't it? And it has the most recent drivers.

post-16099-13819286710302_thumb.jpg

post-16099-13819290983712_thumb.jpg

post-16099-1381929494247_thumb.jpg

Thanks. The camera is a 35mm Pentax K1000 which is fully non-automatic (still the classic camera for photography students). I have to set the film speed, shutter speed, aperature (f-stop), and zoom manually. I haven't had a battery in it for years so I shoot without the benifit of a light meter and no flash- I really never know how the pictures will come out until I get them processed. I guess I'm sort of old school...

Pauln

Sorry I dont mean to steal this thread.

pauln, thats one hell of a nice camera. I have a canon ae-1 program, its a lovely camera as well. Although it has the setting for shutter-priority mode and the fully programmed mode where I pick the shutter speed and the camera chooses the aperture setting.. I prefer to use it fully manual, adds creativity. I always wanted one of those Asahi K1000s, ah the original. "I really never know how the pictures will come out until I get them processed" is the absolute thrill of film SLRs, I maybe new school in age but I'm def. not digital.

Another fun thing to do with SLRs is to mount

another lens BACKWARDS on the front of your lens to get ultra macro shots! You

need to mount the camera on a tripod, as the depth of field is only a fraction

of an inch, like 1/50 but you can achieve larger than 1:1 on the film! I have

taken some stunning photos of the inside of a pocket watch this way then

enlarged them to 8x10. It takes about 6 prints to show the whole watch as you

are enlarging the image on the film so much that you only get a small portion

of the watch in each shot! Try it, it is fun! You focus with movement on the

tripod though as the internal focus wont work. Use side lighting, as you will

be very close to your subject.