Wanted to buy: La Scalas

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

Thanks to the generosity of two members of the forum (427RS and TommyK) I have been able to hear La Scalas and Belles for the first time!

I have to say, as a Cornwall owner I am very impressed. They seem to have more midrange detail, and not quite as heavy bass compared to the Cornwalls.

So I have decided to try to look for a pair that are close enough to drive to, as I don't want to risk shipping. I live in Pennsylvania, so I'd be looking for something on the east coast. Unfortunately my budget is limited at about $800, which limits my options somewhat. I recognize it will probably take a while to find a set that is both affordable and close, but I just wanted to throw it out there that I'm looking, in case anyone finds anything. I would certainly appreciate any tips you guys find!

Thanks a lot!

Jon

Woo hoo!!!!! Another convert................

They are not just @#$% PA speakers or useless "beautiful" speakers, are they??

We will keep our eyes open. Good luck on your LaScala quest.

Carl.

Carl,

How are the trachorns in your La Scalas? I love my 511 upgrade. Have you ever heard 511s in the LS? If so, how does the trachorn differ? Thanks.

Enjoy....

Lets all keep our eyes out for Jon. He came to my home, was a perfect gentleman and his musical taste and fine ear far exceeds his age. I hope to have him back when I get my Altec A 7s restored for another listen. Next time he can spend the night and do the Fingerlakes Wine Trail with us.

Brian

Hey Mike,

I'm planning on waiting til the right deal comes around. I just can't afford to pay any more, so it's not going to happen.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for La Scalas, I've already written off Belles as being too expensive, even though I LOVE that design!

-Jon

I too was bitten by the LaScala bug after listening to a friend's pair for a quite awhile while I was over at his place. I wanted to spend about $800.00

I waited,...and waited. Then he called me and told me he knew of a pair in MINT condition,..oiled birch. I went over to the guy's house to listen to them,...and saw the environment he kept them in. He was the original owner and I gladly paid him $1000.00 for them. I called "BEC" who sent me a brand new set of his AA Crossovers and I have NEVER looked back. No doubt the best HiFi purchase I have ever made.

My advice? Get the cash ready and when you find the right pair, JUMP on them. They're a bargan even for the mega buck HiFi crowd.

I have them in my main system consisting of a McIntosh C11 Tube preamplifier that Craig at NOS valves went through for me. (It's dead quiet at idle) Add a pair of Dynaco MkIII's, (with the original circuit) and I have found my version of HiFi heaven.

I know about wanting to keep within one's budget, but when one thinks of what people pay for speakers costing twice or three times the price of a really nice pair of LaScalas, they are a true bargan.

My two centavos,

I have found that to be about right as well. In light of rising La Scala prices, I have decided to renew my commitment to my Cornwalls. They are really beat up, and in need of some attention.

I actually sold these to a forum member several years ago, and felt sick about it. I didn't know whether to cry or throw up. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy them back from him, and am glad I did.

I'm actually considering some ideas on what to do with the cabinets. They're black raw birch, and have been thrashed. I'm guessing either mobile dj or bar or something. Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe putting some carpet on, and maybe a metal mesh grille, as I really like the pro audio look.

Another thought is building a whole new cabinet. I would make it narrower and deeper, but keep the same internal cabinet volume and port tuning. This would minimize edge diffraction. I would also make it a trapezoidal cabinet to minimize standing waves inside the cab. I would also front mount the drivers, so they're not firing through a slot. I would also eliminate the need for risers by building the cabinet slightly taller so the tweeter still resides at the same height. The risers seem to be a weak point in the cabinet structurally. I was thinking of using 3/4 inch birch plywood. My brother manages a lumberyard so I could get the wood cheap. My father and his friend both do woodworking, so between them I'm sure we could work something out. My father also designs and builds speakers, so he could help me tweak the cabinet parameters. COuld be a fun project!

Any thoughts?

Jon

EDIT: I just realized you can't front mount Cornwall 1 horns, so I'd have to go with the traditional mount, unless I like the look of screws sticking out in front of the horns!

Another thought is building a whole new cabinet. I would make it narrower and deeper, but keep the same internal cabinet volume and port tuning. This would minimize edge diffraction. I would also make it a trapezoidal cabinet to minimize standing waves inside the cab. I would also front mount the drivers, so they're not firing through a slot. I would also eliminate the need for risers by building the cabinet slightly taller so the tweeter still resides at the same height. The risers seem to be a weak point in the cabinet structurally. I was thinking of using 3/4 inch birch plywood. My brother manages a lumberyard so I could get the wood cheap. My father and his friend both do woodworking, so between them I'm sure we could work something out. My father also designs and builds speakers, so he could help me tweak the cabinet parameters. COuld be a fun project!

Any thoughts?

Jon

EDIT: I just realized you can't front mount Cornwall 1 horns, so I'd have to go with the traditional mount, unless I like the look of screws sticking out in front of the horns!

I do not know about you, but I do not think that I would want to invest that kind of time and effort on the outside chance that I could improve upon any of Paul Klipsch's designs, especially without his knowledge, 60 years of trial & error experience, resources, and research & development facilities. If you want a narrower cabinet with front mounted drivers, take a look at the Chorus & Chorus II which essentially took the place of the Cornwall in the Klipsch Heritage lineup in 1990.

Hi Jon-

My mom will be selling her speakers very soon. I don't remember if they

are La Scalas or Belles. Although she loves the sound, at this

point in her life she is looking to "downsize" her speakers. I

will post a picture as soon as I get over to her house. The grilles

have been recently recovered. They are in great condition. I'll keep

you or anyone else who may be interested informed.

Thanks.

Pamela

[:D]

Hello Pamela,

Where does your mother live? If you could post

a pic of the back of the speaker too, focusing on the open area in the

back that would be helpful, as I could see what year they are, and what

components are in there!

Thanks!

Jon

Corvette6769,

You do have a point, it would be a large investment

of time and effort to make, with the possibility of little

improvement. Probably wouldn't be worth it. I think

recapping the crossovers would be a good idea though, since they are

original from 1981. Cornwall crossovers are simple too!

-Jon