Maybe I'm not a Heritage guy?

hififreq

As some of you have read, I won a pair of Heresy II on Ebay last week. The seller was local and delivered to me that afternoon!

Well........I've had almost a week with them, and I don't think they're my "thing" I'm not a subwoofer guy, as I only listen to 2 channel, and I prefer the naturalness of no sub. The Heresy is a little light in the low end for me alone. I think they are very nice sounding, but just not my preference. I have listened to the RB-35 and RB-75 several times, and they're definately more "me".

This being said.......I'm going to sell them and try something else. I figured I got alot of input in a short time from the people here, so I'd offer them to Forum members first for what I paid.

I paid $480.00(+$20.00 gas money for delivery). I'm offering them for $480.00+shipping to any Forum member that may be interested. I'd also possibly be interested in trades, so run 'em by me!

Thanks,

Corey

Is it the "light in the bass" perception that's the deal breaker on these? I think your sense of "just not my preference" sounds like it rings true. There are indeed strong subjective preferences which are at work in our perceptions.

Hope you find buyer in a reasonable time and treat yourself to some nice RB-35's!

Aren't you glad you didn't pay $1,500 for those La Scalas?

What about putting the Heresies into service in your guitar business? People into guitars with tube amps are likely to be impressed by seeing Klipsch speakers playing music (not as guitar speakrs) in your store. Then the speakers could be a tax write-off as a business expense.

Of course, they'd have been even more impressed had you sprung for the La Scalas. =)

Aren't you glad you didn't pay $1,500 for those La Scalas?

Actually, I bet the La Scalas would be more suited to me. From what I understand, they are very "forward" sounding through the mids and highs. I LOVE the horn sound, it's just that the Heresy's are a little polite and bass-shy. They just seem to lack the punch I'm looking for.

I'm not a fan of super-deep bass, just focussed and super punchy. The RB's seem to be punchier and more in-your-face. I have my Dynaudio's for the refined, polite, thing.

Again, I think these are very good sounding speakers, I guess I'm just looking for something different.

Corey

I'm with AN. Maybe don't give up on the entire Heritage line just yet. See if there's someone hear you with Cornwalls that you could audition. They've got loads of deep, smooth, quick bass response.

Or Dee's suggestion of the RB35's would be a nice entry level into the Ref lineup if space is a consideration.

Michael

I used to do the two way thing, but I grew out of it. That means that were I to acquire a set of heresies, I'd use a sub.

I'd balance and blend the sub. And oh yeah, the sub does have an "off" switch if I choose not to use it. By sub, that doesn't mean the klipsch subs. Those are great HT subs, but even the KSW 15" doesn't have the clean 20hz output that a paradigm servo, hsu,svs or VMPS has.

But few speakers on the market can convey the weight and bottom end of much of my classical music. That stuff has energy into the low 20's that if not produced, cuts realism away.

I'd use a sub with anything that wasn't clean into the mid 20's. And again, there is an off switch.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

None of the old style big ole horns have the punchy mid-bass of modern-day bass reflex cone loudspeakers.

I will bet 50¢ that your receiver is the typical solid-state that look good in specs and sounds horrible with super-efficient, very sensitive horns.

The LaScala and other Klipsch horns are more of the same sound with the same problems too. They sound magical with high quality, low-powered amplifiers, but it is not the huge mid-bass bump that is the norm at clubs. Compare them instead to live, acoustic music then you hear just how realistic they can be.

BTW, if you are not getting a fairly flat frequency response down to 30 Hz at mid-80 SPL, you are missing a lot of the impact of rock music and action movies. My guess is that you dont like subwoofers because you hear systems using way too much mid-bass (20dB or more). When a sub is dialed into a home movie and music reproduction system correctly for musical realism you dont hear it individually. In fact, you may not even think the sub is working, yet the music sounds better, stronger and fuller.

[H]

I will bet 50¢ that your receiver is the typical solid-state that look good in specs and sounds horrible with super-efficient, very sensitive horns.

[H]

Well, my sources are a Dynaudio ST-70 and Harman-Kardon Citation II with a Woodside CD/2 and outboard converter directly in. Also with my SimAudio/Moon i5 (almost 3K) and Rega P-3. No cheap recievers here. I did however try it with an old Scott 420A integrated, and that was pulled in 13 seconds!

Corey

You need to swing up to VT and get my Belle's from me. They sound awesome on their own, fast quick horn-loaded bass and 104db efficiency, but to really complete the full frequency spectrum the Velodyne subwoofer fits the bill. It is so clean and clear you can't tell that it is there. No boomy bass with a sealed servo controlled subwoofer. Solid, tight, and it digs into the teens.

However, if you are running tubes no subwoofer should be required with them. Stunning to look at as well!

All of this is only 4 hours away, and if I meet you in White River Junction, VT 2.5 hours away. [:D]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

None of the old style big ole horns have the punchy mid-bass of modern-day bass reflex cone loudspeakers.

The LaScala and other Klipsch horns are more of the same sound with the same problems too. They sound magical with high quality, low-powered amplifiers, but it is not the huge mid-bass bump that is the norm at clubs. Compare them instead to live, acoustic music then you hear just how realistic they can be.

BTW, if you are not getting a fairly flat frequency response down to 30 Hz at mid-80 SPL, you are missing a lot of the impact of rock music and action movies. My guess is that you dont like subwoofers because you hear systems using way too much mid-bass (20dB or more). When a sub is dialed into a home movie and music reproduction system correctly for musical realism you dont hear it individually. In fact, you may not even think the sub is working, yet the music sounds better, stronger and fuller.

[H]

The other problem I attribute to subophobia is the plethora of mass-market HT style subs. They add that disco-style midbass thump and really overload the energy from 40-60hz. Ick.

Also, FWIW, many of the klipsch I have heard do sound excellent without a sub. But for that nth degree of reproduction realism, I have my sub dialed in about 30-35hz to blend with my forte II perfectly. Were they a set of heresy's, I'd likely set the sub to 50 hz +/-.

You need to swing up to VT and get my Belle's from me. They sound awesome on their own, fast quick horn-loaded bass and 104db efficiency, but to really complete the full frequency spectrum the Velodyne subwoofer fits the bill. It is so clean and clear you can't tell that it is there. No boomy bass with a sealed servo controlled subwoofer. Solid, tight, and it digs into the teens.

However, if you are running tubes no subwoofer should be required with them. Stunning to look at as well!

All of this is only 4 hours away, and if I meet you in White River Junction, VT 2.5 hours away. [:D]

It's not the drive that scares me.....it's the lack of funds!!!!! L.O.L.! A smokin' deal, but just don't have the dough right now. I need to sell a bunch of stuff to raise some more money. The Belles have always been at the top of my list, but the La Scalas always seemed a little more affordable. I think the WAF is higher in the Belles too! Vermont in the Spring is AWESOME!!!!!!

Corey

I am a Heritage guy all the way IMO they are the cream of the Klipsch crop. Now having said that IMO the best thing you can do is trust your ears and get what you like. You are the one who has to listen to them. We can offer opinons and advice but you are the one who has to be satisfied. Get what you like and be happy. Good luck.

Heritage has a more mid-range presentation that many appreciate here, some find it a little more aggressive than the Reference Line, as the Reference is a little less aggressive in the mid-range. It's more a personal preference thing, both very good and very close in Klipsch sound, slightly different in presentation of the mid-range.

You may want to try a quality sub-woofer with the Heresy's. Some have reported pleasing results. Also, keep in mind that the Klipsch Forte's are very good in bass and a real classic "GEM" if you are thinking in that direction. The RF-3/RF-35 is also another good choice for the sound you seek. Since you do like the horn sound of the Heresy, the more pratical solution maybe to try a quality sub and see if it resolves your situation, since you already own the Heresy's. Good Luck!

The agony of heritage:

The heritage (my fave) has the separate mid horn and tweeter that can produce a more powerful presentation. But it can also be more revealing as well.

The bane of my association with klipsch since 1981 has been this:

People try klipsch with poor electronics, or recordings that are nasty midrange hot (like early 80's cd's) and listen for 5 minutes before declaring defeat. Klipsch are rarely treated with the same respect in setup and listening as high end speakers.

How many thousands listened to heritage in this manner and made a judgement? The same people who take *hours* to set up high end brands and ensure everything is perfect. And then if it doesn't sound right: blame the room or electronics. With klipsch, it's : Blame the speaker.

Trust me... take any heritage speaker with a proper tube amp and front end and listen to qualiity vinyl and digital media before making the call.

The difference in all the factors makes such a huge difference with klipsch. It will make the difference between harsh/honk and real/clarity.

"My klipsch don't honk, but my car does."

I love this thread. Hate it, too. I don't think I saw a single comment or suggestion I do not agree with.

The point of Heritage by PWK's intent was and remains to deliver the source material in the most accurate way possible by the simplest means allowed by physics. If he'd been young in the 60's he'd have been a hippy. Their completely unforgiving nature is that which appeals to those of us whose main interest is in purely acoustic music. I had a little listening recently with my wife and was trying to get here to listen to the "trees" rather than the forest in a clarinet/piano recital I'd recorded a few years ago. The sound of the air moving just before a note sounds, the brush of fingers on a key, the way a note sounds as a finger completes the seal...so many wonderful things that 98% of speakers aside from Klipsch cannot deliver. Of course, this also means that every little flaw sticks out like a compound fracture.

As some of you know, with me it is about the source material. I'd rather listen to a top quality recording on a car CD system than the vast majority of the transcoded, processed, overmixed, poorly miked digital crud played back on the finest system on the planet.

Heritage is not for everybody...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dave