AKFest 06

Parrot

"We're feeling fine today. Patrick is coming over the house today instead and we'll be watching the Red Wings play their 2nd playoff game in our HT. Unfortunately, the game starts at 1 PM so, that doesn't allow me much time to take in the AK Fest today either."

You are 10 minutes away from the fest and you are skipping it for a hockey game?

Taking care of the wife: OK

Not wanting to spread ills and making sure you aren't sick: OK

But feeling fine on Sunday and skipping AKFest for a hockey game? You gotta get your priorities straight[;)]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, truly a first rate experience and a first class job of organization. The guys (and their Mrs's) did a great job putting this Fest together.

Flynn: I still have an outside shot at getting into tubes. In a fit of delerium, I bought a bunch of raffle tickets and dropped them in the bin to see if I could win that little H/K tube integrated. If that happens, I may call you to figure out how to use the @$%#* thing! [:D]

Great to finally meet Parrot. Seems like a decent chap, so I guess I'll never learn what all the negative press is about! [;)]

Briefly met Dean while lunching with Flynn. I swear one day when I have two nickels to rub together, I want to give my RF-7's the Westcott treatment. Unfortunately, that may be when the twins get out of college (or drop out of college, and give their dad even more gray hair!). So, Dean, if you're still able to see what's at the other end of your soldering iron in 21 years, let's chat!

As for NosValve's VRD's, still some of the nicest sounding amps I've ever heard, and they look like fine furniture with tubes on top. If you have the scratch, and are thinking about tubes, I have no idea why you're not chatting with Craig.

For those of you Klipsch board members who were there, and I didn't get a chance to meet, well, maybe next year!

Patrick (gonzp) just called. He won't be coming by during the fest today as he has some raffle tickets that you must be present to win. I don't blame him. There's a chance he may come by after dinner tonight because the Fest runs until 5 PM.

Therefore, anyone from the Klipsch forum who's in town this weekend for the AK Fest and wanting to stop by, the hours are now Noon to 5 PM and 6:30 to 9 PM today. You can either PM me, or see Patrick or Craig at the show for my phone number. As I've said many times before, our whole family are very serious hockey fans, so we'll have the Wings 2nd playoff game on from 1 PM. The first game was broadcast in Hi-Def from Fox, so we're hoping that NBC follows suit and does the same thing with today's broadcast. If it weren't for the game, I'd be joining everyone at the fest. Yes: Priorities! [;)]

Moved the room around to get on the long wall and went all analog yesterday. Hotel rooms are a real pain to work with. It is chaotic putting your equipment in a room you would never use for serious music reproduction.

Had time to talk with GONZP for the first time which was a privilidge.

Made Dean sit and listen to SRV 180 gram LP to torture him a little bit. He may have been convinced records are not too archaic.

Somebody was torturing Craig about A_B tesing for comparing capacitors or something like that.

More come to on my assessing the Dean network upgrade...

There are many more pictures and even a slide show at audiokarma.org although none are better than Luther's pictures.

Some people thought the highest dB level was reached by DeanG playing the Chorus II speakers in the second NOSValves room, but they weren't privy to hearing Craig snoring.

I heard only one system out of the whole floor's worth that I didn't like but I won't mention the owner's name because I am just not that kind of guy.

Picked up way too many records but they were going for a song. One prized one I grabbed is a 10-inch 78 rpm distributed by Hartz Mountain. Billed on the label as "Self-instruction method of developing the full song potential of canaries" Click for bigger image.

post-7941-13819295485048_thumb.jpg

cool horns above the la scalas.. tell me more and what did you think.. same k 77 though right??? Or is that BEC's new tweeter too??

Yes, those are Al K's Klapperhorns and BEC's new tweeter, run with a DeanG crossover. The consensus (but DeanG was not present at the time) was that although they sounded fine, we preferred the stock horns. Better or worse really didn't apply as much as "just different." We ran the La Scalas with the aftermarket horns the first half of the show, and stock the second half.

For those who didn't make it, there are a few pics.

nosvalves1.jpg

NOSValves room

Luther thanks for posting up your fine photo work! you didn't happen to take a picture of day two when I was running bone stock Klipsch drivers? If you did It would be great if you could put one up of that.

Craig

cool horns above the la scalas.. tell me more and what did you think.. same k 77 though right??? Or is that BEC's new tweeter too??

Yes, those are Al K's Klapperhorns and BEC's new tweeter, run with a DeanG crossover. The consensus (but DeanG was not present at the time) was that although they sounded fine, we preferred the stock horns. Better or worse really didn't apply as much as "just different." We ran the La Scalas with the aftermarket horns the first half of the show, and stock the second half.

Actually I like both equally both had its advantages. The Trachorns have a better dispersion pattern then the stock K-400 but the K-400 has a edge on it that just sound fricken real. Also the placement and angles were changes on day two that may have tilted things in favor of the K400. This is why I need a picture of day two to make this easier to explain. I know some photo's were taken but I may have to wait until the person posts them at AK. But in the end I describe them as different then one another not better.

Craig

Picked up way too many records but they were going for a song. One prized one I grabbed is a 10-inch 78 rpm distributed by Hartz Mountain. Billed on the label as "Self-instruction method of developing the full song potential of canaries" Click for bigger image.

In due time, the old Parrot will be singing like a canary!

Craig,

Nice looking room, wish I could have been there. High on the list for next year. How was the Mac room, what did they bring? How is my sign coming along?

Travis

They had two rooms. One had a pair of MC275's bridged for the power hungry speakers they sell. The MC275 looked about the same as they always have no big earth shatterig differences from the outside. The preamp they had in the room with LED light's under the 4 tubes inside a window were pretty cool looking also this preamp was huge!! I have no clue why they would need that size to build it? I think they really are trying to be overly impressive with shear mass? The room didn't sound jaw dropping. The other MC room had some SS gear and I really didn't do anything but a quick walk through. I honestly did very little looking at gear. I meant to but I knew so many people I just kept being side tracked.

Craig