AKFest 06

Parrot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice to hold an AK East Coast Chapter rally since some of us cannot make it the middle of the country[:)]

Well, that was sort of my intention when I came up with the idea for

"AudioKarma Day at McIntosh" event last August. But

it would be nice to have a two-day get together ala AK Fest.

I love Mac stuff. But it's so expensive. Even the relatively budget priced MC275 retails for around $5300 here in Australia. Now compare that price to a pair of VRD's landed here which would work out to around $3300. I could do a lot with that $2000 saving.

Edit: I also notice the MC275's stated distortion specs are considerably higher than the VRD's. I guess you shouldn't read too much into specs, but apart from other engineering factors, the monobloc construction of the VRD's may contribute to less overall distortion and general noise.

I love Mac stuff. But it's so expensive. Even the relatively budget priced MC275 retails for around $5300 here in Australia. Now compare that price to a pair of VRD's landed here which would work out to around $3300. I could do a lot with that $2000 saving.

Edit: I also notice the MC275's stated distortion specs are considerably higher than the VRD's. I guess you shouldn't read too much into specs, but apart from other engineering factors, the monobloc construction of the VRD's may contribute to less overall distortion and general noise.

Less front end tubes less distortion IMHO. To much going on in the MC amps for truly transparent sound that's why the MC sound descriptions exist they truly have there own sonic signature as does a VRD but distortion is not part of it LOL!!

Craig

I thought the Mc rooms sounded great, but then I'm a sucker for the soft dome sound. The smaller speakers were definitely short on dynamics, but the imaging was great. The big beasts in the other room sounded incredible on every level, but at the price point they occupy they better.

The new MA6300 looked intriquing, and I wish they would have had it hooked up. Mike, the guy running the room told me about a new transistor they're moving to, and this amp is the first to use it.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=17&cat=Integrated+Amplifiers&prodid=1129&product=MA6300

http://www.companyboardroom.com/releasetext.asp?ticker=onnn&coid=121693&client=forbes&release=660023

Distortion specs, generally speaking, are meaningless when evaluating amplifiers.

Yup in fact I'll go one further all specs are basically useless the ears and total system mating in a real world enviorment are the real key to great sound.

Craig

Did anyone notice if the clock tweak works?[8-|]

Good eye there, Mike. Yes, the Blue Circle blue-tac placed on the digital clock did wonders. You'd have sworn it was an analog timepiece.

LOL!

That company must be hurtin'. They couldn't even afford enclosures for the amp and pre-amp they had.