Chi/IN/KY meeting

colterphoto1

Today, DrWho is heading over to my place to hang out. Then Sat am we're driving from Indy to the lush green hills of Bowling Green KY to visit with BSButton and Woodog. Main purpose is to pick up the Crown DC300IIA I purchased a while back. Todd picked it up for me and I understand has been keeping it warm for me.

This will be a very unique opportunity for me and my trusty collegiate companion to hear TUBES in two Klipsch rigs. Todd has the Peach and LS, Forrest sorts a Scott 299 and Cornwalls (which I got an all-to-brief listen at the Hope gathering last year).

The good Dr and I will be conditioning our ears by lying low on the volumes for the next 24 hours in order to fully appreciate this listening experience.

For Friday Doc and I will be diving into my CW array (yes all 8 boxes) and taking inventory of what all's there. I 've been meaning to compile a listing of all Klipsch around here, their history and parts inventory. This will help to me decide what stays, what get reveneered, and a few pieces will be sold off. We'll be testing my new digital Nikon along the way, so expect a plethora of photos. I don't know if we'll find anything rare or terribly interesting, but might was well document the journey if we're opening all these babies up.

Indianapolis recently had a horrible hail storm and it was impossible to put even one Honda Accord in my garage for protection. I got lucky with just a couple light dents, but it was much worse very near here. So something's gotta go.

If there are any photo requests, now would be the time.

Michael

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man! Cool!

I'll be around after about 1p.m. for giving you the tour. Currently in my sprawling abode (and you are *SO* gonna laugh at that description after you visit) are the Khorns and a 355/208 combo.

The Kid's room has Tannoy SGM 10" powered by a Scott 299.

The 4 Cornwalls (a pair of '76 and a pair of '85) are powered by an Onkyo solid state receiver from around 1977.

They're in the main room room at my church.

BS currently has the Corns hooked up to his system, and boy-oh-boy do they sound delicious.

Looking forward to seeing y'all down here!

Woo

So do I need to keep chasing you around the threads or do you want me to just see if the Dr. Who wants all these Glenn Hughes burns[;)]

I have missplaced your pm with address!

ROTFL, I sent you email a bit ago. thanks man- I'll need yours again as well- I think I've got that list here. Been working on a couple collections including the new Ian Gillan release- interested?

Michael

oh, and sorry, I misspoke before, I assumed that Todd has those black/cane LS hooked up to his main system. But he keeps changing it around so much...

Just heard from Who, he should be here any time.

Dr. Colter sir, great Post!

I'm vacuuming right now and gettin'er ready. Forrest should try to come over here and then bring us back to his place. Imagine "Who meets Woo", anyway, look, I'm particularly interested in showing Who what (that's right, who-what) what? how these Corns do with new B-3's smoothed out with the "Peach". The La Scala's are no slouch, either. Get ready to place orders for a Peach, through me, of course.

BS

so do we get to hear lascalas too? I guess I'll probably just have to find out tomorrow....I was under the impression their would be scalas, updated xovers, and the peach to be demo'd....so I made sure to do a quick check with my demo music on Colter's scalas just to make sure it didn't sound like utter crap [;)] The Nightwish stuff tends to be a bit grating with horn loaded bass...(which can be an interesting topic to discuss...).

Aw crap, I just realized I totally forgot a CD....any chance any of you guys listen to Loreena McKennit?

I suppose I should probably be heading to bed....1AM and I'm going on like 6 hours of sleep in the last 3 days. Gotta love exams (especially 3 in a row) [:|][|-)]

Steve, it's Gillan's Inn and I've got posts on the 2 ch forum about it. It's a dual disc, meaning you get CD 2 ch versions, then 5.1 DVD on the flip side. Also some fun extras.

Right this minute I'm burning Gillan-Double Takes, wherein I take remakes of old faves like Bluesy Blue Sea off the new release and dig up the older version. I like to put a bunch of those back to back on a CD, makes for some fun listening. Who and I can discuss the engineering details on the road.

Speaking of engineering, we sat up last night and watched Longest Yard with Adam Sandler. Very good use of small snippets of music to punctuate the action and great 5.1 implementation all around. For Who to be impressed with a movie soundtrack is really saying something. The massive football hits sounded terrifying through the wall-o-Cornwalls, we thought it about 80 Hz and the THUD just shook you out of your seat.

It's almost 8 here, I'm trying to allow plenty of time for Todd and Forrest to show off to us. From experience I know that it takes much more than one hour for the tour of about anyone's setup. Allowing 2 hours each (sorry, I always have to do the math) and a 3 hour trip, if we leave around 8, get to Todds at 11, then Woo's at 1, leave at 3- we'll get home at a reaonable 6 pm.

Helped the Doc pack up Larry Whaples single CW cabinet last night. Used that dense blue foam around all the edges, then double boxed. THere's like an entire roll of packing tape in the thing. So long as they don't drop it..... btw, I took photos of all corners- they were all square when it left here. Interesting cabinet- what is this designation:

CDBB? (yes I know, but have some fun with it)

Michael