Wanted: Thorens TD-125/MK II with SME 3009/II tonearm

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm back from a self-imposed hiatus.

Interested in a Technics SP10/3009II improved? The "improved" means fixed headshell.

The SP10 is in the Technics wood plinth/spring base.

Not saying I'm selling, but who knows. I could do with something a tad smaller.

A TD-124 with a SME 3009 arm just went for a little over $725. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717144657&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It is interesting to watch what they go for, in the last three minutes it gained $150 in value.

Any opinion on this Linn LP12 Sondek?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717636471&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 It is local, but from what I have seen it could go for a fair bit more than the current $600. I gather the arm is the standard one that came with the turntable.

A TD-124 with a SME 3009 arm just went for a little over $725. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717144657&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It is interesting to watch what they go for, in the last three minutes it gained $150 in value.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717636471&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It is local, but from what I have seen it could go for a fair bit more

than the current $600. I gather the arm is the standard one that came

with the turntable.

I found it interesting also,got out bid in the last 30 seconds.

Larry

Dave at VinylNirvana.com. Great guy, fair prices, updated to whatever spec you desire, modded, or stock, delivered exactly as described. My SME is mounted on an AR ES-1, with the Ortofon OM Super 30.

Yeah, I looked at a bunch of his previous work. He's not cheap, but everything he does looks real nice. I'll keep looking, and will eventually get my unit.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717636471&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 It is local, but from what I have seen it could go for a fair bit more than the current $600. I gather the arm is the standard one that came with the turntable.

Find out what tonearm the guy has on the LP12. At 12 years old it should have the Linn Ittock arm I think. Seller describes it in near mint condition. He doesn't post any actual photgraphs and has no feedback, bummer.

Nothing like a Linn in my opinion. It's my number one turntable. Some people don't like them and think they're fussy but mine has never caused me any problems. If you find it's not to your liking, you can always resell it for what you paid. But a really nice LP12 of that era usually does end up going for around $1000 US. Maybe more, I really haven't watched them much lately.

Thanks Fini, Captain and Mike for the info. Rega doesn't publish

specs on their arms (typical of their approach to everything they do

information-and set-up wise on their products-never new people so cheap

with their words). I did find one site that says they are 11

grams, but have no idea what to make of that information.

Scary stuff you described on the Maratnz 7T Bob. Methinks maybe

I'd better stay with a MM unless Mike will drop his outrageous $25

price for the cart down to something more reasonable, say $15.

I now return you to your regularly scheuled Thorens thread.

Dave at VinylNirvana.com. Great guy, fair

prices, updated to whatever spec you desire, modded, or stock,

delivered exactly as described. My SME is mounted on an AR ES-1, with

the Ortofon OM Super 30.

Grey Coupe, Welcome ! How do you like the OM Super 30? My TD160B MKII

Thorens was also rebuilt by Dave and has the same cartridge. But with

the RB250 Rega arm.

Larry

Nice to hear someone would like a Thorens 125. Decided to fire up my old 125 and picked a nice old piano recording by by Sammy Price 0n Sackville recordings. # 3024, My wife the pianist immediately said that sound so much better than the cd's we have been playing for too long, Open sound and like a real piano I agreed and spent the evening enjoying vinyl. The arm is the original that Thorens provided plus the Stanton 680 that allows me to change the stylus for the records I play.

No matter what you turntable/arm you obtain enjoy, because there is a lot of great sound in those vinyl grooves that we are ignoring.

Now who would like to inform me because I want to buy a SACD player and can not decide if I will be wasting my money on a Sony 777 or such high end CD equipment.

I saw that one and it just appears to me as if it's been a little mistreated. I would rather pay a few extra ducats for one that looks like it's been reasonably maintained. Someone mentioned to me that the counterweights do not appear to be the correct ones, and that might be the case since the headshell is not correct either.

Mike

Ttops,

Don't know about the B&O carridge. I would think the 103

would work better with the stock Thorens arm since it is heavier.

That being said the SME is the better arm so I would suggest getting a

cartridge suited to it. I don't think Allan likes the Shures, but

I do so here goes.

I would suggest picking up a Shure V15III. Look for a cartridge

body cheap on ebay then pick up a GOOD stylus. Avoid the generics

as they are JUNK! I've had one and they are not worth a darn.

I've heard very good things about the Juki SAS replacement stylus for the Shure carts:

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/satylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1047

Here's a V15III body on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-V15-Type-III-HE-Cartridge_W0QQitemZ9719055527QQcategoryZ64620QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My 2 cents...

Good luck!

Paul

Or you can buy the one I have for sell with an original stylus from the mid 80's with no use on it. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the stylus is as there is no writing on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-V15-III-L-M-CARTRIDGE-W-NEW-STYLUS_W0QQitemZ9719012566QQcategoryZ64620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

Loving it. Neutral, open, tracks beautifully.

My ear leaned more towards the old Stanton 681EEE products, pre DJ...I hasten to add, I am not current on what is out there in the same price range, but Dave recommended it, and I can see why...

Really opens up old vinyl, and many of my old albums had only been played once--to tape them. So sitting back and enjoying these old records with this cartridge is a treat.

Scary stuff you described on the Maratnz 7T Bob. Methinks maybe I'd better stay with a MM unless Mike will drop his outrageous $25 price for the cart down to something more reasonable, say $15.

It wasn't a problem with the 7-T. The only one that "ran away" was the 7, and could have been anything from a faulty ground in the preamp to a fussy tube. It should work fine with the 7-T - but you might need that transformer.

Ttops,

Don't know about the B&O carridge. I would think the 103 would work better with the stock Thorens arm since it is heavier. That being said the SME is the better arm so I would suggest getting a cartridge suited to it. I don't think Allan likes the Shures, but I do so here goes.

I would suggest picking up a Shure V15III...

Paul, thanks for your thoughts on this. I already had a nice 125 MKII with a Thorens arm, but I bought this 125 MKII with SME 3009 "Improved" arm thinking it would work well with the Denon cartridge. I wonder if Allan has any ideas about any cartridges that would mate well with the "Improved" arm? I also wonder if the Thorens arm is worthy of the Denon cartridge?

I never have tried a Shure V15--like Grey Coupe I used the old Stanton 681EE's a lot during the 70's and 80's.

Mike--sorry about partially hijacking the thread--thanks for your interest in this topic. I've clearly got a lot to learn in this area.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Well the cartridge arrived yesterday, so now I need a table and arm to put it on. I know some of you have this combo and aren't using it. What do you say you throw a nice forum member a bone and work me a deal. [:D]

Shameless bump...

Mike

Ttops,

Don't know about the B&O carridge. I would think the 103 would work better with the stock Thorens arm since it is heavier. That being said the SME is the better arm so I would suggest getting a cartridge suited to it. I don't think Allan likes the Shures, but I do so here goes.

I would suggest picking up a Shure V15III...

Paul, thanks for your thoughts on this. I already had a nice 125 MKII with a Thorens arm, but I bought this 125 MKII with SME 3009 "Improved" arm thinking it would work well with the Denon cartridge. I wonder if Allan has any ideas about any cartridges that would mate well with the "Improved" arm? I also wonder if the Thorens arm is worthy of the Denon cartridge?

I never have tried a Shure V15--like Grey Coupe I used the old Stanton 681EE's a lot during the 70's and 80's.

Mike--sorry about partially hijacking the thread--thanks for your interest in this topic. I've clearly got a lot to learn in this area.

Best in horns,

triceratops

I don't know why the Denon won't mate with the 3009 Improved. I'll find out this weekend though as I plan on putting it on my 125 which has the 3009 II Improved arm on it. I've got a "non-Improved" 3009 I can try too.