Continued to be amazed by Khorns

Coytee

(preaching to the choir)

I unplugged my MC-30's and plugged in my single SE-OTL amp (1 1/2 x 2). Turned things on, turned volume up and was wowed at the volume I had. I did NOT remember this OTL going THAT strong.

Oops, seems my Niles box was on "B" and was playing my MC-2102 [:$] I turned it off and hit "A" for the OTL. I just love minor oversights.

I just sat back and thought what a perfect volume it was playing at, no strain, yet very clear/clean at 1.5 wpc. Then I wondered if I left a different amp on (I didn't). then phone rang and I turned Peach down...volume stayed the same...HUH???

Flipped my input selector to different non playing unit to quiet it and song/volume stayed the same again, NO change...??? HUH?

Seems Mr. Bright plugged his cd player directly into the OTL amp! I've never done that before (direct to amp) and was VERY pleased with the sound, although there was no control over it.

Rewired and fixed THAT issue and just sat back & listened to Supertramp, live in Paris.

The Khorns just sang it out and it just continues to amaze me how fantastic they can sound with 1.5 watts or if you want to boogy some, slap some serious horse power to them and they will continue to do their thing with nary a hiccup.

In years past, as I've tried to describe the sound of my LaScalas to those who have never heard them, I would try to say it's simply "big". It isn't necessarily "loud" although obviously it is. Moreso than loud though, it's a BIG sound. Of course, telling someone it sounds big doesn't help them... then I tell them the sound can border on violence.

I'm just always in awe of these things and how they will POUND you at excruciating levels if you wish (and sound good doing it) or they will baby you with their gentleness and STILL sound good doing it.

I sit back and think... "do the people who make these things realize just what they are capable of" (that is SO obviously a stupid question)

Then I wonder... do these people (or did PWK) ever have a devilish twinkle in their eye as they see people try them out for the first time and discover in awe at just how dynamic these monster boxes are. They must, heck, I do when I have friends over.

Ok choir people, sermon is over...

Gee.... it was about 6 months ago that I picked up some Naxos CDs. They were on sale and featured some early music and Baroque that I was not familiar with. The price was right so why not. I got six.

These recordings are devoid of a lot of recording tricks (no compression etc). They really are just a pair of mics in a church (or whatever venue) and the musicians. There is an absolute purity about them. But I digress...

I sat down to listen to one of the CDs and I just could not stop. Everything was beautifully revealed. The K-Horns re-produced every nuance, every detail in the music, every detail of the recording environment. It was stunning! It was about 1 AM when I finished listnening. I had absolutely lost track of time. I was in another world.

Sixty year old technology is not too bad.

-Tom

STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!!! You're making me want a pair of Klipschhorns. Hmmmpfh. I'll just stick to my KSF 10.5's for now. I don't think my wife will let me make another large purchase for the HT and/or future 2 ch. for a while. And all this talk isn't making the wait any easier. I've been doing some reading about tube amps too. I think I'm going to stop because all this reading is going to end up costing me a lot of money. Ok I'm leaving for a bit.

Whenever I want reference quality sound I run the CD or SACD player directly into the power amps. Makes a big difference bypassing all the other crap. It's especially nice if you can control the output level on the source device as with the Shanling and a few others

I am quite certain that when I stand in the throne room before the Almighty, I will look to the left and look to the right, and in each corner will be a KB-WO broadcasting the songs of the Heavenly Hosts.

There is no experience like K-Horns!! (imho)

I couldn't hook my KHorns up for three years so I relegated my music listening to the car. Hey, if you can't have the real thing, you might as well listen to something where you have no expectations!

Three months ago I was able to put my system back together and it's been bliss ever since. From the subtle shadings of Sarah Jones voice to the dynamics of Rickie Lee Jones "Under the Boardwak" , the rock of Nektar, or the expressiviness of Lorendo Almeida, it's all there in ONE speaker.

Fifteen years with KHorns and they never cease to amaze. I had Cornwalls for ten years prior and felt as passionate about them too.

Thank you Paul Klipsch and all of the great people that continue to make a speaker that can bring so much enjoyment.

Artto, you need to have meagain over for a listening session[:)]

I hope to run this thread in a couple years but for Jubs, keeping my fingers crossd[;)]

I have often wonder what an iPod run straight into 2 of these (see Above) into a pair of K-Horns would sound like and how much dig they would have!

post-18681-1381929787758_thumb.jpg

Early last evening the whole family was in our kitchen, which adjoins our family room through a large open doorway. My wife was making dinner and I was talking to our three teenagers about their day. I walked out of the room and turned on the 2 channel with Khorns in the family room. I put on a variety of music I knew the kids would like, Keller Williams, Widespread Panic, Robert Randolph. Over the course of the next 15 minutes everyone made their way into the family room and found a comfortable spot to relax. Everyone just chilling and volunteering the next music selection (I know, a regular Norman Rockwell painting). At one point I looked at my oldest and said do you know how lucky you are to be able to listen like this? I got a big grin back. This went on through dinner and all the way up to bedtime. I have had my Khorns since 1988 and I am still amazed every time I listen to them as to how lifelike and full their sound is. I love my Chorus in the HT and I often listen to them in 2 channel, as good as they sound there is no comparison to their big brothers. In time I am sure I will make some necessary upgrades to them but even 18 years old and stock they feel incredible to listen to.

- Jim