Took a look at a Thorens TD-124 today!

fini

I only had a few minutes to check it out (I'll give it a good look on Monday). I couldn't fire it up because it was missing a (detachable) cord. Anyone seen this before? With a bit more time (and the seller's permission) I could rig up power, at least to see if the motor works. It has a headshell-less Ortofon arm very similar to, maybe exactly like, this one. Good part is, the seller only wants $200.

He also has 3-Dynaco ST-70s, a PAS preamp, and 2 Dynaco FM tuners. He's asking a grand for all the Dynaco stuff. I'd probably go for it, if I thought I could get a cheap amp outa the deal.

Here's the one I want...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-THORENS-TD-124-MK-I-TD124-IN-CUSTOM-CLD-PLINTH_W0QQitemZ9723672125QQcategoryZ48649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The bidding ends tomorrow and the reserve is $1800. And that does not include the tonearm. A SME 3012 would run another $1K, and then you need a cartridge on top of that... but that thing is drop dead gorgeous! I want it!!!!

Mike

"Took a look at a Thorens TD-124 today!"

Did it look you right back, or coyly avert it's eyes.

If it looked away, pass.

If it gave you a "come hither" look, pass.

If it gave you a frank appraisel, buy.

If it looked at you like you were a bad boy and needed to be Spankered, pass and give it my phone number.

I only had a few minutes to check it out (I'll give it a good look on Monday). I couldn't fire it up because it was missing a (detachable) cord. Anyone seen this before? With a bit more time (and the seller's permission) I could rig up power, at least to see if the motor works. It has a headshell-less Ortofon arm very similar to, maybe exactly like, this one. Good part is, the seller only wants $200. He also has 3-Dynaco ST-70s, a PAS preamp, and 2 Dynaco FM tuners. He's asking a grand for all the Dynaco stuff. I'd probably go for it, if I thought I could get a cheap amp outa the deal.

Fini,

Even if it doesn't power up, if it's in good cosmetic condition, it would be a great buy. It doesn't take much to get them running (usually). Motors, bearings, can all be taken apart, cleaned and relubed without too much trouble. The hardest part is making an ugly one look pretty again.

Also, check those Dynaco amps for Mullard power tubes, the four big ones. If they are Mullard or labled Dynaco, the tubes alone would make that a very nice deal.

Scott,

That's kinda what I was thinking. Those vintage 5AR4s ain't cheap, either. One of the amps has been somewhat restored (I saw orange drops through the cage), but I don't assume it's completely "up to snuff." All three did look fairly clean, though. Again, it was a quick look. They did kinda whisper to me, Marty...

The Thorens needs some cosmetic "tuning." It may be just a cleaning. No rust, but some of the metal parts (i.e. the 45 rpm pop-up spindle) seemed a little oxidized.

I believe (from poking around the www) that the arm is an Ortofon RS-212.

The arm is worth $350. Buy the Thorens, get it working, sell the Ortofon arm and mount your SME (I have an armboard for you). You will have a TD124 with all new rubber for about $200.

If you don't want this table, BUY IT FOR ME. I will mail you a check TODAY.

The arm is worth $350. Buy the Thorens, get it working, sell the Ortofon arm and mount your SME (I have an armboard for you). You will have a TD124 with all new rubber for about $200.

If you don't want this table, BUY IT FOR ME. I will mail you a check TODAY.

He's ahead of me[:)]

In my dreams, the TD124 would be my entry into vinyl for my 2 channel system. Sounded like a good idea three or four years ago, until the market price quadrupled - or worse[:(] It was easy to convince the wife how good a 124 would look in an MC30/MX110/Belle Klipsch system in an antique room....it was SOOOOO perfect......but for $1500-$2000 market prices today, I GOTTA pass. I'll stick with the used Ah Njoe Tjoeb CD player for $400, Alex.

If this was me being offered that table for $200, the money would have already been spent on it. I can only hope I get such an opportunity in the future.

WOW! This morning I picked up the Thorens, 3-ST-70s, 2-Dynaco FM tuners (tubed, yes!), and a PAS preamp. Anyone who mentions this purchase in Hope (unless spoken in the Cone of Silence or the Anechoic Chamber) will be sat upon. ;^) If I can figure out how to do it on this screwy forum, I will post some pictures!!

(The Thorens looks a lot better than I remembered from my initial impression...)