Fave Zep song

I'd say,imo,the reason Nobody's Fault is a favorite is that it showcases the hard rock edge very well.Jimmy is killin' the guitar(the tone,bends,pulloffs),Plant is fast paced without lots of vocalizing,Bonzo is beatin'the skins with power only he could deliver and JPJ uses very hard cutting,fast distinct bass lines.They all come together to create a once in a lifetime great hardrock song.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I've told you and Michael the Zep is my favorite band and picking one is like (to coin another members phrase) picking a favorite child! Impossible, but I will tell you although it's far from a get down crunchy song "That's the Way" was really a coming of age song for this Orphan who used that song to pick my sad & poor me butt off the feel sorry for myself binge that I had basically put myself into after my parents passed away in 1970. I moped around for several months wondering what would become of my life as I ended up in the Orphanage and I can't explain how hard that is for a young man fixing to turn 13!

Believe it or not Cat Stevens helped me through a lot of hard times too and all I can say is thank God for both and music in general as a strong healing force in my life and as the Oldbuck would say it's all about the music[:D]

Need to jump over so I can populate Thebes thread because I'm setting here on disc 2 of How the West was one right this minute!

Interesting drum tid bits for When the Levee Breaks

The famous drum performance was actually recorded by placing the drumkit and drummer at the bottom of a stairwell at Headley Grange, and recording it using a microphone three stories above, giving the distinctive resonant but slightly muffled sound. The break has long been popular in hip hop and dance music circles for its "heavy" sound and has been used for many tracks, notably including Tomoyasu Hotei's Battle Without Honour Or Humanity from the Kill Bill soundtrack and the Beastie Boys' "Rhymin & Stealin" from their 1986 album Licensed to Ill.

Thanks! about time somebody put computers to good use.

I remember has a teenager taking my techniques TTable and putting the 33/45 speed selector in "neutral" then using my finger to spinn it backwards looking at the strobe marks to try and get the correct speed. I clearly heard, or thought I did, "The power of satan" guess it was whose power is satan. That was freaky. My friend and I about soiled our selves. It was after school and nobody else was in the house. Creepy....good times, now you just have to go to a web site. Kids these days got it so easy.

Thanks! about time somebody put computers to good use.

I remember has a teenager taking my techniques TTable and putting the 33/45 speed selector in "neutral" then using my finger to spinn it backwards looking at the strobe marks to try and get the correct speed. I clearly heard, or thought I did, "The power of satan" guess it was whose power is satan. That was freaky. My friend and I about soiled our selves. It was after school and nobody else was in the house. Creepy....good times, now you just have to go to a web site. Kids these days got it so easy.

Hmmm. The lyrics don't seem to support those sounds when played in reverse. How is it it doesn't sound like that reading the lyrics backwards?

It's in Stairway the the backwards track is supposed to sound like 'I sing with satan'. There's a wav file of it on the internet somewhere so you don't have to spin the LP backwards anymore.

EDIT ooops I see it was already posted.

M

I have a quad reel that is perfect for recording and then playing backwards at perfect speed (of course we used to do this 25 years ago while in college when really bored and too poor to go out somewhere). Stairway seems to play back "here's to you my sweet Satan". But it requires many beers and a vivid imagination to hear clearly!

BTW, I've always really liked "Bring it on home". A great rocking-blues tune. "How many more times" is also a killer tune.

That stuff about Zep and Satan was debunked a long time ago. Just some jealous fundamentalist nazis looking for the next "book" to burn.

You calling me a liar? [:P] I never heard the rest of the words on that site...but I remember doing it in my room like it was yesterday. I also remember it was the part of the song close to "There are two paths you can go by but in the long run..." and that web site shows the reverse part in that same spot. Seems like too big of a considence. Who knows if it was on purpose or not...but I remember hearing it for the first time and not sleeping all that well that night. Oh to be young again.

Back on topic...I'll put in a 2nd choice for Misty Mountain Hop...hey whoopie cat!

Anyone have "Encomium" - A tribute to Led Zeppelin? Some purists may say it's blasphemy lol, but there are actually some really good remakes on this disc! I really recommend it....

Here's a track listing & link to where you can hear some clips...

Misty Mountain Hop / 4 Non Blondes 5:44

Hey Hey What Can I Do / Hootie & The Blowfish 3:27

D'Yer Mak'er / Sheryl Crow 4:20

Dancing Days / Stone Temple Pilots 4:02

Tangerine / Big Head Todd & the Monsters 3:36

Thank You / Duran Duran 4:32

Out on the Tiles / Blind Melon 3:14

Good TImes Bad Times / Cracker 2:43

Custard Pie / Helmet 4:41

Four Sticks / Rollins Band 3:30

Going to California / Never The Bride 4:24

Down by the Seaside / Robert Plant 7:49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002J3Y/002-8638531-7284005?v=glance&n=5174

Here's 0ne that will get some response I bet; What did you guys think of;Unledded by Page and Plant? I thought it was Real Good, really enjoyed some of the versions of Classic Zepp Songs. Great cast of musicians on that set, including a very good drummer Michael Lee, and bassist Charlie Jones. Funny part is most of the songs you guys listed are played on this set. This is not Led Zeppelin, there will NEVER be another Zepp, this is just Jimmy, and Robert singing their songs.How about them sitting around with those musicians in Marrakech, fine stuff.To me, it is a must have,but I also know many people hated that set, but I understand they were looking for Led Zepp. What's not to like , open strings on a stand up bass, a hurdy gurdy man, an Orchestra, Plant and Page together........Mellow is the man.................

the Battle of Evermore............another favorite.

If ya really wanna hear some interesting versions of Zep songs, get Whole Lotta Blues 'this aint' no tribute'. Classic Zep done by blues artists- takes you back to their roots.

1. Custard Pie - Eric Gales

Listen

notes_clear._V54608602_.gif

Listennotes_clear._V54608602_.gif

2. Custard Pie (Revisited) - Matt Tutor/Eric Gales/Derek Trucks

Listen

3. Heartbreaker - Alvin 'Youngblood' Hart

Listen

4. I Can't Quit You Baby - Otis Rush/Eric Gales

Listen

5. When The Levee Breaks (Part 1) - Magic Slim/Billy Branch/James Cotton

Listen

6. When The Levee Breaks (Part 2) - Magic Slim/James Cotton

Listen

7. Hey, Hey (What Can I Do) - Chris Thomas King

Listen

8. Rock N' Roll - Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown

Listen

9. You Need Love - Joe Louis Walker/James Cotton

Listen

10. Since I've Been Loving You - Otis Clay

Listen

11. Good Times, Bad Times - Carl Weathersby

Listen

12. Bring It On Home (Part 1) - Robert Lockwood Jr.

Listen

13. Bring It On Home (Part 2) - Robert Lockwood Jr.

Listen

14. Trampled Underfoot - Eric Gales

Listen

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Coming from the people who brought you the excellent Blues Power: Songs of Eric Clapton,

it's no surprise that this tribute (oops, the CD cover says, "This

Ain't No Tribute," sorry) features a lot of the same musicians. This

anthology is likely to upset purists, who may not actually want a Delta-style "When the Levee Breaks" (courtesy of Magic Slim), but check out that harp work from James Cotton on the more upbeat, Chicago version! And Alvin "Youngblood" Hart's take on "Heartbreaker" simply must be heard to be believed; ditto for what Chris Thomas King does with "Hey Hey What Can I Do." Meanwhile, "Rock 'n' Roll" proves that Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown really can do whatever he wants and get away with it. As was said before, Whole Lotta Blues will annoy Zeppelin purists. But blues fans oughta love it. --Genevieve Williams

Michael