What piece of your system did you spend the most on?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I forgot my recent acquisition. The Klipsch THX sub system eclipsed the cost of my receiver (as well as the entire cost of all the other speakers in my main room)

Feeling my hair blow back when Chris Squire hits the bass pedals......priceless

Records and CD's. WAG = $140,450.

$25 per week from 1960 - 1970 = 13,000

$50 per week from 1970 - 1975 = 13,000

$100 per week from 1975 - 1990 = 78,000

$50 per week from 1990 - 2000 = $28, 000

$25 per week to present = $8,540

Notice a trend, here? [;)] Looks like a classic bell curve. I'd say most everything is worth more than I paid for it; so I'll never complain. Equipment, on the other hand.... I want back the two TD-124's I dumped for $100 apiece, when I got my first Technics direct drives; the ones with the digital readouts. Still have my Bozak... from 1975. So I'm not THAT stupid. LOL

Raptorman; How much for the Lava Light???.............................Nice set-up!!!!!!!!!!!

*************************************************************************************************

Believe or not I picked it up from a Goodwill Store for $2 while I was hunting for my dollar vinyl records. BTW that's not included on the 50K I quoted.[:D]

jwcullison, great Macs! I miss my MC7200 I bought used for $1200 several years ago (and still the most expensive audio component I've ever bought).

Present gear? My BEZ Model T3B 300B SET amp at only $550 shipped! Everything else I either got at closeout and clearance prices, employee discounts from my bro in NY who worked for an audio retailer, or free/trades from family members and friends.

post-11084-1381929825886_thumb.jpg

IMO it was an excellent, powerful amp (and one of the most attractive Macs I think). It was a direct-coupled amp without the patented autoformers, so I found my older MC250 to be warmer and more tube-like soundwise, whereas the newer MC7200 was perhaps brighter (definately sounds more like today's SS Macs rather than Mac's very first transistor amp), also punchier, more solid, and robust! Its high current design had gobs of clean power that's dynamic and very detailed. I highly recommend one if you can find one...I don't see too many MC7200s on sale anywhere these days.

Raptorman, how bout a rundown on all the goodies?

And what's with the silky blankets under the EdgarHorn bass bins? For easy slideability?

M

First off the silky blankets are just to cover the ugly looking casters Dr. Bruce put on his Titans--I was never a big fun of casters on any speakers. I can easily pull them off and replace them with spikes, but they come in handy when ever my friends are over for a texas hold em poker game--I make sure they are out of the way.

Now for the goodies: Speakers are Titan II with the Seismic Sub. They are the first Titan II in production 001 and 002.

TT= VPI SuperScout Master with a JMW 9 and an Ortofon SL15E MK II LOMC 0.065 mv (decimal on the correct place)

Phono Stage= BAT VK P10SE with superpac

Preamp= Emotive Sira and a CAT SL1

Amps=Cary 805C monoblocks 50 watts of Single Ended Triode

CD=Cary 2000/303

Tuner=Sansui TU-717

Conditioner=Panamax 5510

RCM=VPI HW-17F

Speaker wires/IC/Power Cords=Can't remember