What piece of your system did you spend the most on?

Colin, checked your profile for equipment and was just wondering which model Rotel you are running as I had one I wish I had never sold on A-goN because it was sweet and I now want to have a single chassis CDP again, Argh!

My main priority on a single chassis is balanced connection for my BAT and I'm hunting for another RCD-991 AE or maybe a Carin Fog fully dressed of course Larry's digital setup is to die for[:P]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo ????

The correct response is, "Woo who?"

Heh... just caught this thread...

my most expensive part of the (main) system was the 355/208 combo. After reworking it came in just over $1000. Khorns at $900 (boy did I luck out... Woo Who indeed!). CDP at $250.

Of course... then there's the thread I haven't seen...

Q. how much have you lost on a STUPID purchase?

A. A bunch.

Woo

Hmmm... well although I did get a good deal on my speakers, they were the most expensive, as a whole. The TV would probably be the next in line.

KLF-30's = 1250.00

KLF-C7 = 399.00

KSP-S6 = 499.00

MK 350 THX = 1500.00

Denon AVR 3803 = 900.00

Sony 51" HDTV = 2500.00

That is interesting. I just obtained an MC250 myself. It is definately not as bright as my MC252. I haven't listened to it enough to say I like it better.

I think the reason why I loved my MC250 with the Cornwalls so much is because it's not as bright an amp as the latest Macs...to my ears it just seemed a perfect combination with Heritage horns (I know Al K. and a few others like their MC250s with their Klipsch).

If I hadn't gone the SET route, I'd still own my MC250 I liked it that much, but that's me. Good luck with yours.

post-11084-13819298321284_thumb.jpg

I think the reason why I loved my MC250 with the Cornwalls so much is because it's not as bright an amp as the latest Macs...

If I hadn't gone the SET route, I'd still own my MC250 I liked it that much, but that's me.

Umm... A much older picture.

PC220012.jpg

No comment.

That is interesting. I just obtained an MC250 myself. It is definately not as bright as my MC252. I haven't listened to it enough to say I like it better.

Trust me, the MC250 sounds much better than the MC7200 could ever think of sounding.

So far the average system here is $5,972, in line with what venerable Stereophile magazine reported. Not counting the $10,000 TT and theater seats, the $1,623 average spent on loudspeakers is less than the $1,838 average for amplifiers and the $2,300 average for TVs.

Once I purchase a single CT1526 woofer from Bob for my center channel, and purchase two new Altec 902 drivers from GPA for the mains, on top of the Altec 511B horns I just bought, the 3 CT125 tweeters, complete network for center channel, single Atlas squawker driver for the center channel, and all the network parts to update/modify my existing Type B networks, I will have spent over $1k on these speakers within the last couple of months!

When it's all said and done, it will be the most I have spent on any one part of my system. And you know what, it has been well worth it. The sad part of it is, I'll probably find something else to change on these speakers after I get done with the Altec drivers. LOL

I'm surprized by the responses here... at what dollar amount does the incremental diminishing return fall below the audible threshhold? For a 2 channel system does the $6000 audiophile average sounds about right? I'm asking about listeners, not those exhibiting symptoms of ACD (audio collectors disorder)...

I'm surprized by the responses here... at what dollar amount does the incremental diminishing return fall below the audible threshhold? For a 2 channel system does the $6000 audiophile average sounds about right? I'm asking about listeners, not those exhibiting symptoms of ACD (audio collectors disorder)...

I'm not sure I have this right, but God hates a coward; I'll bet the average listener, that's listener, spends under $750. for a home system new, not to be compared with the majority of audiophiles on this forum. That is really just a guess off the top of my head, but average Joe consumer isn't into all the things that people on this forum like, they want Plug and Play, no more, turn on, turn off.

A Nakamichi Dragon casette deck for $1200.00 I bought new back in the 80's. I got it when I lived overseas, I think they were around 2K in the States at the time.

Prior to that purchase I got the all following stuff new for around $500.00 total.

A pair of Quad ESL-63 Electrostatic speakers

J. Michell Gyrodec

Ortofon MC 2000 cartridge

Ortofon T 2000 step-up amp

SME 3009 tonearm

Krell KSA 100 Amp that can be used to heat a good size home in the winter or anchor a large yatch

Krell PAM 1 Pre-amp

and a bunch of big fat wires that resemble snakes mateing.

This believe it or not bargain of the century was courtesy of Lloyds Bank of London. I purchased it all with a miniscule down payment and opted for insurance through Lloyds for the equiv. of $7.00 per month for the duration of the 6 month interest free note. I had a wreck on a Harley 2 weeks later [<:o)] and broke my neck and back. Since I was unable to work, Lloyds paid all 6 payments and I ended up with tunes for the paltry sum of $500.00! No wages were lost and I met my wife during recovery from said contusions. [:D]