What piece of your system did you spend the most on?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved two channel sound and until just a few years ago I had always patched together one low end system after another.

Now I have four two channel systems, each offering it's own unique sound given the limitations of the listening rooms they're in.

Besides my mint 1983? LaScalas in my main, (living room) system and my Audio Physic "Yaras" in my bedroom system the most I've shelled out was for my Manley "Shrimp" Preamplifier that is in the system in my study. Adding it into the system paired with a beautiful Dynaco ST70 that is brand new was the first time I had heard such a marked improvement in any audio system I have ever assembled. This little Manley linestage is out of this world and I LOVE IT!

Oh, and even though I love the sound of horn loaded speakers and nothing will ever be able to replace the sound I get from my LaScalas the Audio Physic "Yaras" are really something to behold and I hope I never have to part with them. I still cannot believe the sound these little German bass reflex speakers can deliver.

Regards,

For me, it was my Klipschorn corners -- seriously. While shopping for a house, finding one that had proper corners for my K-horns was a priority. So my Klipschorn corners were by far the most expensive. Fortunately, I also get to live in what's attached to them!

After the corners, the Klipschorns themselves were probably the next most expensive thing, but I did buy them used so the cost was not so high relatively speaking.

Hmmm...that's a tough one!!![;)]

Lets see:

Speakers - home made - 700 - nope.

Sub - bargain - 1200 - nope.

Amp - bargain - 400 - nope.

Pre-amp - 1000 - nope.

Cables - total - 400 - nope.

CD player - 700 - nope.

Cartridge - ultimate bargain - 130 - nope.

Phono - 750 - nope.

Oh yes - I remember now:

TT / Arm / Power supply / Outer ring - 10,000 give or take a couple of bucks.

Close call huh.

Well I bought an XLS-402 for my subwoofers amp, but I also use it for

prosound (and purchased with that intention) so I'm not sure if it

counts...it was only $350.

My next most expenive item is my Klipsch Synergy SC-1 that I paid a

little over $200 for. Ironic that the most expensive piece of gear is

also the weakest link in the chain.

I got my receiver, pair of Chorus II's, pair of heresies, pair of

marantz 940's, JBL 2226H driver, 25" Sony Trinitron, and headphones

each for less... [H]

(I figure the total worth of my system is around $10,000 and I've paid under $1500 so far)

my 7.1 reciever onkyo nx-1000. when I saw the specs and modular design...I ran around til I could find one and bought it. $4000.00

I believe the question was 'what single piece of gear did you spend the most on?'

The Forum member didin't even ask for dollars, so no contest involved, just which individual component outside of software is the most expensive piece.

My Yamaha RXV2400 is mine. I've gotten such good bargains shopping for Klipsch speakers that my main pair of LS cost less than this receiver. I still have mid range source components. Maybe time for upgrades.

Michael