OT - Billy Preston RIP ' The 5th Beatle'

Thanks for reporting. We are losing fantastic musicians at a rapid pace.

Mr. Preston was always smiling on stage, the consumate performer. I remember when he had that HUGE afro, pounding that keyboard back in the 70's! Nothing from Nothing was a fantastic tune, I recall his work with the Stones and their problems. Was not aware of him writing Cocker's 'You are so Beautiful', but checked a couple of CD's and there he was- Billy Preston! I bet there's quite a discography he left behind.

Rest in Peace.

Michael

• Moderators

On Eric Clapton's "one more car one more rider" DVD Mr Preston plays in the whole concert and also plays one of his songs, " will it go round in circles". During his song he also dances on stage, looks like he has a good time.

This is a very good DVD if you like EC, very good quality sound and video, 20 songs and is in DTS.

Billy's performance was the high part of a George Harrison concert we attended in about '80. The concert also featured Ravi Shinkar on dobro.

Rick

Billy was also at the concert for Bangledesh w/George,Eric,Leon and the gang.He done That's the way GOD planned it,thats' the way GOD wants it to be.another highlight of the show.

I'm puttin'it on right now,RIP Billy,hope you make it.

Oh, my gosh! This is horrible news! Thank you for letting us know. He was my favorite organist. I will miss him. I agree: The 5th Beatle! God rest his soul. What an enormous loss.

"Isn't it a pity?"

-Glenn

saw him with the Stones...

That you did, Billy preston had the habit of pulling bands back together, he did with the Beatles on Let it Be, appeared on many Stones albums, toured with Clapton,............God just got another great Band member.........Will It Go round in Circles????

The SIXTH STONE.............................

With all due respect to Billy, I think the 5th Beatle title has been applied to Pete Best, Brian Epstein, Eric Clapton, George Martin, and possibly others. But even if Mr. Preston was the sixth, seventh, or eighth Beatle, they owe him a depth of gratitude for his inspired playing. In the old days studio musicians were rarely credited on albums, and I think they just got paid for their session time--no royalties.

It wasn't just the Monkees who used studio musicians extensively--some really great bands with competent chops had studio guys filling in on a regular basis--especially on singles which were so important. My understanding is that the only Byrd that actually played an instrument on "Mr. Tambourine Man" was McGuinn--the rest were session guys with the Byrds only providing the vocals. Ry Cooder claims that the Stones took advantage of his playing and then never even paid him for it! At least Billy was recognized for SOME of his session work and frequently toured with the folks he backed up in the studio. That says a lot about his talent and charisma!

RIP Billy!