1972- good Khorn year?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early 70's should be well built - of ply. The veneer would have been generally well done; condition would be the main concern at this point. The network would be an A (I think - someone will certainly correct me if not), which you should like if you've got B's in your Corns & like those.

Anyone ever hear from HDBR Andy again? He was always a reliable authority on this stuff...

These have AA's in them and alnico tweets, with K55V mids.

I have radient baseboard heat in this house, so the bins will not be able to be fully seated in the corners. I think I'll start with them on the long wall of my gallery. It's about 15x20 and I can sit 10' out from front wall, which should be pretty near the sweet spot.

The floor is Brazilian Cherry, very live surface, with plaster walls. Kinda nice having a different acoustical signature from my main listening room with the thick carpet and wood paneled walls.

Michael

Sounds like a nice room. If possible, experiment with an area rug. Just a bit of midrange absorption makes a huge difference if your room is what I'm picturing. I think you'll find things sounding really congested above 75dB with a bare floor. In a room that size, you've got a lot of potential...

My house has unfortunately small rooms, and the thick plaster walls work against me with regard to bass trapping - I'd gladly give up the rigid boundary for a bit of tympanic LF absorption. Right now, the bass is bouncing all over and really cancelling out...

Michael , congrats on the KHorns ! Didn't see that one commin' . While I can't comment on the 72's , I will say that my 76 Belles have a MUCH better veneer job than my single 78 or my pair of 85's . I wonder what went down . The 76's are almost seamless while the others are downright blocky . Must have been some kind of change over in the veneer department at Klipsch .

Willy

what Ben said. I think you'll find your room too bright with all the hard surfaces, especially the flooring. You'll notice this after the "newness" wears off. I have mine in a 21 x 15 room, 5/8" sheetrock, and I have 8 bass traps hanging, 5 tapestries, curtains, and other knick knacks to tone down the brightness. I've just about got it where I like it! This, with AL K's excellent crossovers, and tube amps!

Anyway, to answer your original question..I too don't think there was a bad year for KHorns. Maybe some are more collectible..but the Khorn itself pretty much has always had the same design, just different networks.

Steve

BTW Michael

I too have baseboard heat..I ended up taking some metal shears to the cover, and then pulled the fins off the pipe just where the KHorn tailboard goes in the corner. It seated against the wall just fine, and made a quite a difference on the "tightness" of the bass. Of course, if I ever sell the place, I'll have to get another metal cover..but hey, that can be done!

Steve

I don't know if my '78 K's are a vintage year but here is what I found after moving them around the country 7 times from 1985 though 2001. Learn how to repair nicks, scratches and dings yourself. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The first couple moves, I had the moving company bring in a "wood repair expert" and watched the process. The third move, I was ready to do the work myself and did so. The very last move, I replaced the front strip of veneer below the mid-tweeter box on the left speaker. It was a perfect match to the right when completed.

I suggest any Klipschorn year is a vintage year and one only needs to worry about the fit and finish of those being considered. Have a "wood repair expert" on hand to look at and then give an estimate to bring them up to brand-new condition. You may spend an additional $250-$350 but will end up with a pair of great sounding beauties!

Dan

Michael,

1972 was a poor year for the Khorn's, just ask around. In 74, Klipsch changed all the angles inside the bass bin, which smoothed out the frequency response and they started to use screws instead of nails for added strength. But I'd still be willing to make you an offer. Today is 4/1.

BS

Michael,

Congrats on the score. I've got WO '73s and am quite pleased with them.

When had the opportunity to listen to Mr. Paul's system while visiting

Miss Valerie with a friend, I was thinking his Khorns looked just like

them. BTW, he had the pie slice badges on the L&R outside.

• Moderators

The 72 was a great year. Much mellower and lower in tannins then the 63 or the 68. The 79 and 84 are not quite ready yet, I would say another 3 to f years on those as least.

On the whole, I would say you have got yourself a major score. The '72 is a ready to listen to now, full bodied, sellection. I think you will note a hint of currant, a complex background of spice, with an aftertaste of oak. By the way, the oak aging for the '72 is second to none.

Travis

'72s are the very best year Khorns that you have ever owned CP![;)]

Whatever you do, in that room, don't take out the mellower Alnico tweeters.

Place a piece of rigid foam about a foot wide and cut out for the baseboards behind the tailboard and some foam packing between the top of the bass bins and the walls. Done deal!

post-12829-13819298694042_thumb.jpg

'72s are the very best year Khorns that you have ever owned CP![;)]

Whatever you do, in that room, don't take out the mellower Alnico tweeters.

Place a piece of rigid foam about a foot wide and cut out for the baseboards behind the tailboard and some foam packing between the top of the bass bins and the walls. Done deal!

Can you please explain/illustrate this further? I don't quite understand but I think you are on to the solution for me. Thanks.

I'd like to get some additional information as well. My situation is similar. One of my Khorns is nicely tucked into a corner, but the other one is more of a challenge. Although the back wall is flat, the right hand wall - as you face the speaker - has the old style baseboard heating, which is rather tall. I'm against the back wall, but on the other side there is a gap of 3 or 4 inches, and I can't get tight into the corner. Although the sound is still good, I want the Khorns to sound their best. I'm not quite ready to surgically remove the heating elements at this point. Any additional help would be appreciated.

I'd like to get some additional information as well. My situation is similar. One of my Khorns is nicely tucked into a corner, but the other one is more of a challenge. Although the back wall is flat, the right hand wall - as you face the speaker - has the old style baseboard heating, which is rather tall. I'm against the back wall, but on the other side there is a gap of 3 or 4 inches, and I can't get tight into the corner. Although the sound is still good, I want the Khorns to sound their best. I'm not quite ready to surgically remove the heating elements at this point. Any additional help would be appreciated.

If I understand you correctly, you should consider a false corner (or half corner).

With that much of a gap, solutions using pipe foam etc will probably be inadequate. Constructing a half/false corner is not terribly difficult and it can be "disguised" and fit in with the rest of the room. I believe it will sound appreciably better.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I too have baseboard heat.

The white foam you see in the picture above behind the tail board is non-rigid 2# ethrafoam. It is 4' long, cut at the 45 degree angle to fit the walls and sculpted around the heating at the bottom. When the Khorns are pushed into the corners, the foam seals against the walls, tailboard and heating. This leaves about 3" gap between the wall and the top of the bass bin. I cut lengths of eggcrate foam that I place in the gap to seal it. Anybody who has ever heard my Khorns can attest to the effectiveness of this arrangement in the bass response.

Rick