Those old Heritage speakers

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BEC said...

Yeah, some people buy an old car and immediately change the old tires, brake pads, fuel and oil filters and even the spark plugs. Then it isn't vintage any more.

=====================

Now bob... jesus.. you know exactly what I mean, and I have sent you business to check if they are within specs, and IF they wanted to look into going the upgrade route.. you alk dean have always been suggestions.. (So why the slamm???)  I met you last weekend, you seemed like a nice guy, I thought the comment was a slam..

As far as the vintage car is concerned, of course you would do that... but with parts designed FOR THAT CAR if it meant something to you to keep it a classic..

The remark was not meant to be a slam at all. What I was trying to indicate is that maintenance is a good thing on a car or on a speaker. There are parts that need to be replaced on a vintage car for safety and reliability reasons and there are parts that need to be replaced on a vintage speaker. Sorry my sarcastic remark was taken literally.

Bob

The remark was not meant to be a slam at all. What I was trying to indicate is that maintenance is a good thing on a car or on a speaker. There are parts that need to be replaced on a vintage car for safety and reliability reasons and there are parts that need to be replaced on a vintage speaker. Sorry my sarcastic remark was taken literally.

Bob

OK, fair enough, I was like "Wow, am I out in left field here"?? Or caught you on a bad day??

Poor grammar and spelling? Yes, I do that at times on here. I am guilty.sorry

What I meant was this... Sometimes people really change the characteristic of the speaker all together than what it was inteneded to do. That's ok, too, cause it is your ears afterall.... But I find some of the mods I have heard over the years TERRIBLE!!! Each to his or her own too.

Some kids put 5k worth of rims on their new/ old cars too, what do I know??? Looks cool.. I just wonder if it really helps or hurts the car as it was designed performance wise?

Wandering where Angels fear to tread...

Buying a 1966 Jaguar XKE and putting a small block Chevy engine in it with an auto (and ditching the creaky old wire wheels for some nice "mags") makes it a much more reliable vehicle.

Buying a 1966 Jaguar XKE, rebuilding the I-6, changing out all belts, hoses (and anything else made of "rubber") and getting rid of all the "Lucas: Prince of Darkness" electrics, keeps it a classic Jag that is a joy to drive and faithful to Sir John.

Restoration over modification. Modification when restoration is insufficient for listening.

One thing I learned while playing in the labs in Hope is that all of these discussions are completely pointless without accurate measurement of what is going on. And at the bare minimum you need the capabilities of LMS and LEAP as it is not just a one-dimensional problem.

So there are 3 distinct routes to audio Nirvana...

1) no updates whatsoever (old = vintage sound)

2) update with currently available components (factory specs)

3) modify the hell out of them (hot rod)

So we all fall into one of the above categories. Simple.

Now arguing further about why any one of us is "more correct" than the others is pointless. You choose your preference and that's that. Telling others to be like you is unacceptable.

Next?

Now arguing further about why any one of us is "more correct" than the others is pointless. You choose your preference and that's that. Telling others to be like you is unacceptable.

Next?

[ip] Amen Dman Preach it BROTHER! [ip]

Wandering where Angels fear to tread...

Buying a 1966 Jaguar XKE and putting a small block Chevy engine in it with an auto (and ditching the creaky old wire wheels for some nice "mags") makes it a much more reliable vehicle.

Buying a 1966 Jaguar XKE, rebuilding the I-6, changing out all belts, hoses (and anything else made of "rubber") and getting rid of all the "Lucas: Prince of Darkness" electrics, keeps it a classic Jag that is a joy to drive and faithful to Sir John.

Restoration over modification. Modification when restoration is insufficient for listening.

I have always want to do a JagToChevy conversion on a mid 80's 2 door convertible Jag xjs. Although I would keep the wheels. On the other hand if I saw a 66 jag treated like that i would cry.

Problem is you can't do 2 or 3 well without good measuring equipment. And you are very unlikely to arrive at anything better than 1 without it either.

And I don't fall into any of the categories, now what?

I just wanted to mention one more thing too...

It's not like the klipsch engineers sit idly by while they watch everyone mod the crap outta their stuff...they are rather open-minded (the first time) and have done a few measurements of their own with all their fancy equipment. It's quite interesting what they have to say on this topic - so if you get the chance ask one of them what they think. I'm not sure if any of them want me quoting them on the forum.

Problem is you can't do 2 or 3 well without good measuring equipment. And you are very unlikely to arrive at anything better than 1 without it either.

And I don't fall into any of the categories, now what?

What are you talking about - using factory spec components needing test gear?

I guess you're right - putting in a new K33E requires a bench full of test equipment.

You are correct - you ARE in a category all your own.

DM

"no - you can't claim dropping in new anything improves the performance."

Who you are wrong on this completely! One indisputable fact is most electronic components age and degrade over time! When you restore a network for example to original spec by replacing old components with newer more complaint components, IE capacitors, you improve the current unit by restoring it. That is called a repair which by the very nature of the action results in improvement over the pre-repair condition! If you choose to employ a different design then yes are correct you have to test it to validate performance enhancement claims.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am saying (rather I've been told) that this notion of putting in "new" everything does not ensure getting the speaker any closer to spec than just staying with the old components. It's one thing to replace a broken part, but these speakers were designed to keep sounding good as they age.

Might I enquire the basis for determining the need to replace/mod everything?