My Sony ES receiver caught on FIRE!!!!

DEAM

quote:

Originally posted by discorules:

Like so many things, we didn't appreciate the good we had until we begin to experience some real crap. As a President Clinton supporter, I think more people will realize how good things were during his term. When things are good why fight it. Good like, Khorns, HK amps, Disco and President Clinton.

And the political debate all started with these Discorules fool opinions. He should keep his politics over at those forums.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

• 10 months later...

I agree tubes make $ony receivers sound grainy and edgy in comparison.No contest tubes by Ko over the zippy and irritating $ony.

DEAM you should buy another $ony,they now have attached fire extinguishers FREE!And the 0.0005KVA C core was upgraded to a toroidal transformer of 0.005KVA!

In fairness to Sony, my 6 year old Trinitron is TV is GREAT! However, my GI buddies tell me that inside Japan, you don't want to buy domestic Sony because they sell second rate goods to the Japanese market. They export the good stuff.

Replace that Sony with a 70 Watt or bigger Marantz receiver from the 1970s (don't take my word for it, check out audioreview.com). Ever see so many perfect "5's"? My Marantz is a small 2220B, but can still fill a room, IMHO, only tube trumps old Marantz for the bucks. I doubt that you'll look back

Wow, all I have to say is ONKYO, I would rather listen to absolutley nothing than some pile of crap sony product. Every single sony product I have ever had has been a huge pile crap.Its all garbage. They are so worthless, I won't even have a sony prduct in my house. The clarity their receiers puts out is a joke. Its so muffled. The bass is pathetic, its so loose sounding. Its one big note, no seperation or anything. Their speakers, have a sound of their own, i'm not even sure how to describe them. Every single sony product sounds different, even if it is the same model. Its a joke. In the ways of TV's have you ever heard of Panasonic,(which happened to win best tv picture of the year), Uhh lets see here there cd players? Ok the readers are lik records. Every time you use the piece of crap the reader gets worse and the already terrible quality goes down a little bit more if thats possible. Their portable cd players wow G shock umm a test showed that ever g-shock was different 3 min 2min 30 seconds or in some rare cases 5 min which they claim. B&K would blow sony out of the water any day. I can't even compare Onkyo to Sony because Onkyo is just so much better. Hey pal here is a couple of words for you Onkyo Txsds 989 Ver 2?? what, yes that is an upgradable receiver that is at least 500000000 times better than any sony product. Yeah way to go japanesse sound! I'm not surprised that reefer boys receiver burst into flames. Because when you start putting crappy power supplies in your receivers like using pi shaped rc filter like sony, rather than using the 7805 of even a zener full wave bridge for that matter. Lets talk about there pathetic undersize chasis. They don't dissapate heat at all and all the transistors tend to over heat. They rattle more than anything on your wall could. The only good a sony receiver is good for is a step stool, for your kids to brush their teeth on in the bathroom sink.I give them credit though, for being the biggest joke ever, I look at there receivers and luagh, its funny, its just funny. The reason sony's stuff is cheaper than onkyo is because of there cheap parts like there power supplies and there undersized capacitors. Hey what about the sony minidisc can you tell me how that did. Ohh wait as i recall it went absoluly no where. Hey sony viao computers Sweet......

Doc,

No long paragraphs please. It hurts the eyes.

I have the Trintiron 27 inch, DVD player, cd player in my daughters room. They were values when I bought them.

Most people on this board like to hunt for a good performing product as well as a good value.

I belive at different price points you can find a better value on a receiver or Amp than Sony.

Speakers and Amps are not a core competency for Sony.

SACD, HDTV direct view, and DVD are the product lines they focus on for market leadership in technology IMHO.

I recently reviewed the prices of Aragon equipment; nice looking stuff.

They may be god values but too pricey for me.

Rick

ok, this thread(which should have remained dead-and buried)has reared its ugly head again...good reply keith-let me add this:

so 'doc holiday' writes like he's got all this experience w/brands of home electronics..i'm going to take you to school yungyn':

32bit floating decimal point sharc processors-some of the best made

burr-brown d-to-a converters(for the uninformed-that's what makes 1's and 0's something you can hear)still a sought-after brand for top quality audio

63lbs. man this thing is BUILT!!

made in japan-try to find that on your receiver

push-pull spontaneous twin drive output transistors-these things PUT OUT THE JUICE!!

sony 's' fin machined aluminum heat sinks-so they don't resonate-who else thought of that?

massive power supply backed by some serious capacitors

rs232 port to upgrade the processor (mine now does 6.1 surround)

gold capacitors throughout for top-quality sound

nice touch screen remote that allows for three macros-that means w/one button push you can turn on everything,and regardless of what input the tv is on, everything set up automatically-then macro2 switches everything to dvd mode and begins dvd playback-macro3 turns the tv off,then turns the front projector on...

oh yea, it sounds GREAT!!

avman.

av, & amoungst others, don't forget to mention the adjustable high/low pass crossover settings in the processor. in what, 5hz increments down to 40hz? great for when you have big speaks like most of us do. sony should be commended for this alone as like marantz & about every other receiver maker hasn't gotten w/ the program there. 2.gif

btw, you know who makes the dsp for the sony es?

Umm......sony sound sweet. Why don't you take apart your receiver and tell me how many of those massive capictors you have in there. Because sony is way underpowered. You took me to school, I'll give you the fact that sony did come up with some of that but considering they never went any where with it and everyone else expanded on their ideas and left them where they are. Have you ever owned another brand of receiver before? because if you compare sony sound to onkyo sound, onkyo sound blows it out of the water. I've owned sony before and onkyo blows sony away, but you keep on listening to your "63" lb paper weight.

ohh yeah one more thing for yo WRAT look that up for me. Who came up with the first 7.1 Receiver? Onkyo....... Yes Onkyo, you want to tell me the best solid state receiver made Onkyo Txds 989 ver2. Sony doesn't come close. Ohh yeah, keith was right. Hey K-Dog, well I'll give you the fact that my spelling and grammer sucks huge. But there is no way it sucks as much as sony, thats just not possible. I can't ever recall anytime when my Onkyo started on fire. Ohh wait because it didn't, because its made with care and quality unlike those slaves who make that crap in Japan. I don't know why any one would try to make anything with quality when they are forced into labor. At least with Onkyo, you know your getting a product made by people who are actually payed with money and not food, therefore they probably care a little bit more about their product.

Ok, you people need to stop acting like you know things about stereo equipment when you don't know anything at all. Any person with half-a-brain would be able to notice the annoying hiss that comes out of speakers being powered by a Sony receiver or Sony anything for that matter. This would be called "distortion" for the "Audiophiles" on this site...Generally distortion is caused by a poorly crafted piece of audio equipment (i.e. anything sony). I have compared many, many receivers and I have a 21 year old Pioneer that produces the music more faithfully and clearly than any Sony receiver I have ever heard. I don't know how Sony calls anything that they make, "audio equipment." It should be called "distorted-god-awful-crappy-pathetic-noise-in-a-box." I will admit that Sony has come up with a lot of features, but do any of them have a point???? Well lets see, I can make my "distortion-in-a-box" give me a customized greeting message??? AWW MAN I BETTER GO BUY ONE RIGHT NOW, THAT IS SOOOOOO USEFUL!! That is my point, Sony wastes their time making useless features to put on their garbage receivers when they should be concentrating on making something that sounds good. If you buy Klipsch, Bose, Paradigm, MK, B&K, etc. then you should be powering it with something that will make it sound as good as it was made, not some Sony piece of garbage. Buy B&K, McIntosh, Onkyo, Denon, Integra, Harmon Kardon...pretty much anything will sound better than a Sony product...And the retards that posted supporting Sony, you may want to get your hearing aids checked out before you say something good about Sony again, I really don't think they can be working properly if you consider Sony "good." P.S. I have a couple pieces of paper in my office that keep blowing away I was thinking of getting a couple of Sony STR-DA7ES ($2200) receivers to hold them down but then I realized that it was Sony and it would probably do a bad job of holding it down, it would probably combust and burn my papers or just collapse completely from the force of my fan on low. Have fun with your distortion-in-a-box you morons.

yea, the evil that was born in this post continues to bring out the trolls.

btw-i sell integra,including the dtr9.1 v.2, not the refrigerator store common fodder for the masses that you refer to as being so bad a$$.

you trolls go back to school and write back when you have something useful to contribute

avman.14.gif