OT: Attention Pink Floyd fans - "Hey! Everything is P*U*L*S*E - ing!"

picky

Interested Pink Floyd fans may be happy to know that the new P*U*L*S*E Concert DVD came out yesterday (7/11/2006) and it is now on shelves. For details and reviews:

Please see the thread: "The wait is over for Pink Floyd fans ..Pulse out on July 11!" by pierceb over in the Entertainment Forum / "DVD's Music and Movies"

I'm not a real dedicated Pink Floyd fan. Outside of DSOTM and The Wall, I don't own any of their other CDs. I probably only know a handful of songs other than the two albums mentioned. My question is, if the wait is over now, How did everyone know they were waiting in the first place??? Was this released in another format previously, or...?

I just heard Syd Barret has passed away at the age of 60, so for now I will play an old record and close my eyes. Pulse tomorrow.

Yes I did this same thing last night. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is mandatory listening right now.

Michael

I'm not a real dedicated Pink Floyd fan. Outside of DSOTM and The Wall, I don't own any of their other CDs. I probably only know a handful of songs other than the two albums mentioned. My question is, if the wait is over now, How did everyone know they were waiting in the first place??? Was this released in another format previously, or...?

CD and VHS have been out for years. Been awaiting the 5.1 mix and all the extras (tons!)

Michael

CD and VHS have been out for years. Been awaiting the 5.1 mix and all the extras (tons!)

Michael

Figured as much. Thanks for clearing that up.

Moon,

I just listened to Disk 2 and the sound is awesome. I was a bit pessimistic after my listening to Disk 1 at lower volume, but now that I turned it up a bit, it sounds great. The visuals are great too. That light show blows me away almost every time I watch it (I wore my VHS tape out). If you never saw the concert, just watching the light show on DVD is worth the price IMO.

-PB

It was an awesome show. I think my favorite (perhaps because it wasn't included on the VHS show) is "One of these days". That was just mesmorizing when I saw that at the live show, and then on the VHS version. There's a LOT going on during that piece.

We were close enough to the stage that when the vertical fireworks went off, we could feel the heat from them.

That was simply the most profound concert I'd ever been to.

Yep, it was the most profound concert I ever went to as well. Someone here once said "it was a life changing experience" and I couldn't agree more. The effort that went into that stage production must have been unreal, as it really shows. I wonder how much the whole production cost them.

My favourite is Eclipse, the music, the film, the perfect light show, all combine to give me goose bumps. But then, the whole encore is awesome too.

Two thumbs up on this one, it's at the top of my concert collection!

-PB

It was an awesome show. I think my favorite (perhaps because it wasn't included on the VHS show) is "One of these days". That was just mesmorizing when I saw that at the live show, and then on the VHS version. There's a LOT going on during that piece.

We were close enough to the stage that when the vertical fireworks went off, we could feel the heat from them.

That was simply the most profound concert I'd ever been to.

I'll check my ticket stubs, but I'm sure that was the stadium tour we saw as well. Had floor seats about halfway back. Unfortunately, some poor soul with too much chemistry on board attempted to 'learn to fly' from the upper decks that night.

I recall (havn't seen the entire DVD yet) a giant mirror ball splitting open like an orange and all those trooper lights hitting it and just staring at the ceiling going 'whhhoooossh' and we all just lifted up to the heavens for a few moments. At least I think that's what I saw- there was a lot of good stuff going around at that show. Very illuminating time- and I ain't talking about the light show.

Michael

All the talk here got me to buy the DVD. I have not heard

the first disc yet but I did play the second one, DSOM, I think the 5.1 did a

great job of putting you "there" but I was disappointed in the

quality of the audio. Nearly all the audio sounded like it had a wet blanket

over my speakers. The mid range sucked. It wasn't until they came out for the

"encore" that the quality of the audio got better. It was indeed nice

to see the visuals though, I had never seen them and now the whole thing makes

much more sense. I must say that even though I used the high quality audio

track, it is not near as nice as the LP that is getting to be about 30 years

old now.[;)]

Michael, yep, everything is correct. Eagles Farwell tour sounds fantastic. Movies are great, the whole house moves with the bass heavy scenes. Quartets are not Cornwalls but then I don't have a sub on the Corns like I do with the HT. I would rank the sound a 7.5 out of 10 on the DSOM. I even changed seats looking for better sound.

Cal: Obviously, I did not notice any muddiness in the mids myself, or I would have made mention of it in my review. I'm sorry you aren't satisfied with the mix you are getting. Bummer, dude.