What to do Speakers or Tubes?

When I first started on here the dream was; La Scala's powered by McIntosh, now after being here awhile, and reading threads, gathering info, watching what is written here, I think I've changed my mind. Khorns instead of La Scala's, leaning towards tubes, no real answer on that, yet, and here's why............................What would be the best route for me to take?......Buy tubes and use them now, or Buy Khorns first, and worry about power later?......The McIntosh is up for reconsideration, some of you guys have made me rethink that choice, the same with the speakers. I know I'm right about the Khorns, they're really what I want, just which purchase should be made first.................Ideas wanted..............Thanx...................so many choices.............

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are willing to drive anywhere to get them or are buying new you might have to wait a bit for the right (color, condition, location) pair of khorns. So, I would probably get a tube pre amp now, use your receiver for just power and keep an eye out for the khorns. As funds build up, buy a tube amp(s)...while still looking for khorns.

Always keep some cash at the ready for when the khorns pop up.

My choice would be Khorns first, tubes later. This presumes you won't do both at same time. In my opinion (having used both) they can sound great with solid state which I presume, is what you already have.

This way you're up & running and enjoying them. You can later start to dabble in the "which tube will sound best" wars [6]

Realize this is coming from a person who bought a Peach about 1 1/2 YEARS prior to buying a power amp. I had the Peach stored downstairs while I was listening to solid state stuff, or an integrated tube. I didn't get the monoblocks for a while.

buy another corvette to go with the 911

My problem with that is, I want the 06 ZO6, really, for me to buy any Vette other than that would be pointless, I'll probably have to wait until they become "used",and hope pricing will be better..............

The reason I asked this question was I guess it seems foolish to spend alot of money on tubes, which I may or may not like, when down the road I have to purchase the Khorns, Yet on the other hand, I could use the Tubes right now, and save for the speakers,...................

I cannot purchase both at the same time. At this point I'm looking at "used" Khorns, usually buy new but not Khorns, will travel to speakers, I am not going to make any purchase right away, but I will make them, so I have time to think and wonder,What If...........................

The newest Corvette is a honey...the Z06 is omigawd sweeet...Oldbuckster...I enjoyed my KHorns for a bit before I got Tubes...I had McIntosh and KHorns for a bit but I preferred the Tubes to the Mac SS with KHorns...prefer Tubes with my Heresys and prefer Tubes with my Quartets...even that little EICO HF-81 Tubes sounded sweeter to my ears overall to my McIntosh MA6200 SS gear (or MAC 1900)...I realize this probably didn't help much...sorry...was hoping it might...good luck with your journey!

Bill

The newest Corvette is a honey...the Z06 is omigawd sweeet...Oldbuckster...I enjoyed my KHorns for a bit before I got Tubes...I had McIntosh and KHorns for a bit but I preferred the Tubes to the Mac SS with KHorns...prefer Tubes with my Heresys and prefer Tubes with my Quartets...even that little EICO HF-81 Tubes sounded sweeter to my ears overall to my McIntosh MA6200 SS gear (or MAC 1900)...I realize this probably didn't help much...sorry...was hoping it might...good luck with your journey!

Bill

Bill, sometimes the journey is more fun than the end.............Got to stop reading this forum............makes the wheels turn..............so many choices............

oldbuckster.

You are getting good advice to go with the Khorns first. They will have a bigger impact on your sound than any amplifier you might acquire in the future.

To have all the same drivers as Khorns, you will be amazed (I was blown over) and surprised that the Khorns have so much of a bigger sound than LaScalas. With the same drivers, I wondered, how much different could it be? I was already supplementing LaScalas with a sub. Well, nothing loads the room with sound like the Khorn. Even the HF sounds bigger.

When you get around to checking out tubes there will be people of the forum, including me, who would be happy to ship you amps for a courtesy audition.

Get the Khorns! I've never heard one person disappointed with acquiring Khorns.

Go with the KHorns!

I bought my La Scalas first and then have been experimenting with equipment. You can not really experiment with different equipment to find the stuff you like with KHorns if you don't have the KHorns first.

The only thing is you may have to wait awhile before a pair of KHorns come up that you like, can afford, and can get to.

Good luck and have fun!!

• Moderators

I would get the Khorns first, that way when you change amps you will already know what the speakers sound like.

There is only 1 Korn sound { kind off ] there are many amps.

..."I cannot purchase both at the same time. At this point I'm looking at "used" Khorns, usually buy new but not Khorns, will travel to speakers..."

Since Johny can't read, oldbuckster says he can't afford both Klipschorns and tube amps at the same time. But I agree with the majority that Klipschorns should be considered first on your list, and then when funds allow (and after you've considered what type of tube topology you want to try) go with a tube amp, whether it be a stereo, monoblocks, or integrated.

Good luck in your quest!

..."I cannot purchase both at the same time. At this point I'm looking at "used" Khorns, usually buy new but not Khorns, will travel to speakers..."

Since Johny can't read,

I hope you and Johny are good friends or you just slammed the poor fellow.

Nonetheless, now that it's pretty much established you want Klipschorns, have you given any serious thought as to what type of tube equipment you'd like to own, whether it be SET or PP, or integrated or monoblocks? Since you're not even sure you'll even like tube sonics, maybe a restored integrated from Craig would be a great place to start; many others have, and have since moved on to higher quality seperates (new and used).