Preamplifier opinions

tillmbil

I am currently working to put together what I consider a Rock -n -Roll system. My Jazz system is complete and listed below.

For starters I have purchased a MC402, and a pair of JBL L100's. I have other speakers to play with but currently looking for the best used pre-amp reccomendation. I would spend between 500-1000. I am currently using a Merlin, but I am not sure the tube/SS rouute is the right way to go.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I have been looking at the Adcom GFP750, but really want an opinion on a AR SP9, or LS3b.

Interesting that you are looking at an LS-3b as I actually have an LS-3 that is for sale. There was someone here locally that wanted to stop by and listen to it, so I set it up in advance and got to listen to it for the first time in about 3 or 4 years. I forgot how nice it sounded -- even made me think twice about selling it (sorta still am thinking twice). If you are interested in a solid-state preamp, this would be a solid choice. Heck, it sounded so good I could even consider it as an alternate to tubes. They are not too expensive (relatively speaking) on the used market either.

I owned an Adcom GFP750 for awhile, with their GCD750 and GFA5802 and I must say, that preamp was the worst sounding component I've ever had in my system! I finally replaced it with a used GFP565, which I still have..I later swapped the amp for an SET tube amp, and of course the CD player for the AH!, but of all the components the Adcom pre 750 sounded the most harsh to me...I wouldn't recommend that preamp at all..my 2 cents..

Steve

You guys are great. Always helps to keep from making a bad choice. I have the Merlin hooked up to it now. The sound is good, but this system has not made it into the house yet to give it a fair shake.

I guess I will hold off for now unless a resonably priced good alternative comes along.

Tiger, are you kidding? I had to back off the SS imput gain just to get the Merlin volume control off the peg. Merlin will drive my SS amps to incineration!!

Just love the little tube front.

Terry

Mark answered the question. If you have a Merlin and it works with your amp's input impedance, by all means keep it! JM products are outstanding.

Tiger, are

you kidding? I had to back off the SS imput gain just to get

the Merlin volume control off the peg. Merlin will drive my SS amps to

incineration!!

Just love the little tube front.

Terry

Mark answered the question. If you

have a Merlin and it works with your amp's input impedance, by all

means keep it! JM products are outstanding.

No Doubt!

I was thinking about getting a used SS Rotel or B&K used preamp as

a back up but know it would be such a let down I have shelved the idea.

I have an NAD integrated I could use the pre outs on if needed in a

back up role.

TUBES RULE!

OK, keep the hooked up and upgrade the 6922. I have been looking at the CCa's like in my Exteme, but I just hate the price they want. Oh well we will see. The Merlin I have I had Mark upgrade the caps, so you might say it is one of a kind.

As for the garage, I need a bigger house or more of the rooms in it to house all my gear.