Klipschorn Jubilee (Babies First Sounds)

mikebse2a3

"Being between GF's.... perhaps now would be my chance to get some in too... and avoid the issues all together..."

It's a LOT easier to have the baggage when you meet them, then to acquire it afterwards. Had my wife not already been somewhat inured to my LaScalas, she'd not been as far down the path of acceptance as she ended up being.

Besides, you can always use their existence as somewhat of an 'acid test' for the G/F. kind of like football or (insert activity)... if she loves them she's passed one test, if she hates them, she's failed that test.

I actually met a girl at a meeting that thought these things (Khorns) were cool as ...well, you know where. her hubby was a bit put off by her love for large speakers, so I asked her if she wanted to do some spousal swapping...[A]

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a LOT easier to have the baggage when you

meet them, then to acquire it afterwards. Had my wife not already

been somewhat inured to my LaScalas, she'd not been as far down the

path of acceptance as she ended up being.

I do have a couple of pairs of Klipschorns... one of which is a "D" version... so i've planned ahead... [:D]

Hey Mike...a little experiment for ya. Can you adjust the time delay on that EV unit in real time? Or will the sound pause for a second when you load the new setting? I would be very interested in your take on the difference between time-alignment on and off. For the sake of completeness you would probably need to do some phase correction as well (optomized aligned versus optomized unaligned), but that should be easy to do with the presets? Maybe just copy the transfer function of Roy's passive design?

I'm also curious about the beaminess of those HF horns. Is there in fact some level of constant directivity EQ being implemented on the K69 driver? If so, what frequencies and how much? Ultimately I guess I'm asking how big is the sweet spot? Roy refuses to share any polar information so I think he's hiding something - always some lame excuse about them little Jubilee "cubes" being heavy [;)][6][H]

As far as "the next step" - when you guys gonna start modding your speakers? I hear that ported mod calling your name. [H]

Actually, it would be interesting to have a hornloaded sub counter-part to go with the Jubilees. In the name of accurate reproduction there is an entire octave of music below the cutoff of the Jubilee.

well now doc,

you can't be as absolute about things as others on the forum now can you? "you have not because you have asked not."......

berryboy roy

Well I started my day meeting my brother and helping him install some French Doors and was going to do some much needed mowing but when I got back home I realised I didn't have any Gas and I didn't want to drive back into town to get some so what to DO!!!!

Lets see the Girl Friend is out of town today and .....WAIT!!! I've got those Jubilees to Play With[:D][:D][:D]

Anyway I've been having FUN!!!! for about 6 Hours Now movng room treatments around, Dialing in the Level's of my AMPS with the EV-Dx38 (I'm Really Liking This Unit) and used a couple of the PEQ filters of the EV Dx38 for some room compensation. and the Highlight of the listening session was Eric Clapton "Unplugged" and all that needs to be said is Wow! Wow! Wow![:D]

Hey Roy put me in for any Polar plots or any other info you can share on the K402/K69-A and Jubilee Horn!

All this testing and listening really drove home to me How Much of The Great Sound I'm Getting is Due to the Klipschorn Jubilee Horn! It's a real ear opener to mute the different drivers and hear just what is coming out of them! I believe some people would be extremely happy with some Jubilee Bass Horns and Smaller High Frequency Horns since the Jubilee goes so high in frequency if they didn't want the Big Horn that I have.(Mine Isn't Going Anywhere Though![:D])

mike tn[:)]

Well I started my day meeting my brother and helping him install some French Doors and was going to do some much needed mowing but when I got back home I realised I didn't have any Gas and I didn't want to drive back into town to get some so what to DO!!!!

Lets see the Girl Friend is out of town today and .....WAIT!!! I've got those Jubilees to Play With[:D][:D][:D]

Anyway I've been having FUN!!!! for about 6 Hours Now movng room treatments around, Dialing in the Level's of my AMPS with the EV-Dx38 (I'm Really Liking This Unit) and used a couple of the PEQ filters of the EV Dx38 for some room compensation. and the Highlight of the listening session was Eric Clapton "Unplugged" and all that needs to be said is Wow! Wow! Wow![:D]

Hey Roy put me in for any Polar plots or any other info you can share on the K402/K69-A and Jubilee Horn!

All this testing and listening really drove home to me How Much of The Great Sound I'm Getting is Due to the Klipschorn Jubilee Horn! It's a real ear opener to mute the different drivers and hear just what is coming out of them! I believe some people would be extremely happy with some Jubilee Bass Horns and Smaller High Frequency Horns since the Jubilee goes so high in frequency if they didn't want the Big Horn that I have.(Mine Isn't Going Anywhere Though![:D])

hey mike tn,

no problemo on the graphs. i was waiting for doc to show up and REDO the polar data just cuz. but don't pass them on to doc.... :) he still hasn't asked.... oh doc!

for those unforgiving wifies, a smaller horn (K-510) has always been an option, either active or passive, as best as i can :(

berryboy roy

hey mike tn,

no problemo on the graphs. i was waiting for doc to show up and REDO the polar data just cuz. but don't pass them on to doc.... :) he still hasn't asked.... oh doc

--------------------------------------

OK Roy[:D]

Sorry doc Roy says you have to ask and I'm not about to bite the Hand That Feeds Me!!!!

mike tn[:D]

Playing now:

Diana Krall "The Girl In The Other Room"

Well recorded Piano is wonderfully reproduced and I have to say now that I've gotten to listen to alot more CDs that I'm definitly hearing more detail on many of these dics.

As big as these speakers are I kid you not they do disappear (ie; Its as if they are silent while the music happens) on good recordings. I know many of you have probably noticed this effect when a system/room start working together and the Jubilee can do it with the best I've heard.

For those that have been asking about the Bass, I will say again these speakers can make your body feel the vibrations even when not played extremely loud. You literally feel like the Bass is vibrating your chair and yourself in a very natural way with the Music.

For those that have been asking about the Bass, I will say again these speakers can make your body feel the vibrations even when not played extremely loud. You literally feel like the Bass is vibrating your chair and yourself in a very natural way with the Music.

I agree agree agree agree and agree!!

And I'll make another comment on what they do when they ARE played extremely loud. [:$]

It's not loud, it's not big, it's not shaking things...no... what it is, is "OMG loud", it's "OMG big" and it's "OMG shaking things" loud.

I finally decided to juice it up a bit today. I defer back to something I said elsewhere... I'm timid on cranking these things up and I've NEVER been timid on cranking ANYTHING up. Not to mention half my house is buzzing with vibrations.

I had the Blue Man Group DVD playing. I was listening in particular, to Venus Hum singing "I feel love" and later in the song, they either hit a kickdrum or that big jumbo-drum. The one they use a sledghammer type thing to hit.

I decided to hit the throttle for that deep drum passage. I even rewound it and did it again.

Not knowing how to put it into words, I'll try it this way...

First, has anyone SEEN the BMG in Vegas (as contrasted with Chicago...and I can't comment on other cities)

When I saw them in Vegas I was stunned at the stoutness of their sound system. Completely reverberates through the auditorium, through YOU. Then, when you get home and crank up the (insert name of speaker) you may tap the toes and walk proud on how fantastic it sounds but you know in your heart of hearts, that the system in Vegas has toasted you. (as it should, I'd imagine they're using the top of the line bose there! [6])

These things, when they were bashing on that huge drum, reminded me of the kind of sound put out in Vegas. They just pressurized the entire room like I've never felt.

for you dbx sub harmonic synthesizer fans... I'll put it this way... I've not only turned mine off, but I've now REMOVED it from the system. I've been a fan of dbx since the 70's and had the most of their products starting with the original "boom box" and 3bx with REAL Rosewood sides. I've ALWAYS had one of their units plugged into my system. Now, 2 weeks after receipt of the Jubilees, I've yanked it out and already debated on selling it. Just that quick. Yeah...they're THAT good.

Without anyone starting any pissing contests about 2A3 vs other amps, I'll ask this of you 2A3 guys (and I tried them and loved their sound so I'm not bashing them)

I hope that any 2A3 guy can admit that even if you didn't like their sound and all those disclaimers, that if you ever heard Khorns on high powered solid state, the Khorns can and do transform into an entirely different entity.

With the 2A3 amps, they'll play loud, sweet, quality all that ying/yang stuff. With however, 250 solid state watts pumping through them, they'll put some serious snap crackle & pop into the music (again, you don't have to admit LIKING that version, just that the speakers can be Dr. Jeckle/Hyde with two extremes of inputs) They'll never snap your cilia around with a 2A3 amp like they can do with some heavy muscle.

Well, I know this is going to be an over dramatic statement so I say it to only get the gist of it across...

The Jubilee bass is to the Khorns, what the bass of a Khorn on high powered solid state, is to the bass of a Khorn on a 2A3 amp. It's an entirely different animal and these things are WICKEDLY loud and BIG. Yet, it's "real". By that, I mean it's sounding as it SHOULD sound. It's accurate, there's no muddyness, no blubbering, just more throttle. Gads it sounds sweet. first time in my life I've ever felt the music to be THIS large and present in the room. (remember, I've owned LaScalas since 1979)

Gads, it's tough trying to describe this stuff when no one can hear it. Especially for a non-techno type like me.

I for one (probably more like three as I can probably count Mike and 6'8 in with me) am VERYYYYYYYYY glad I did this and am absolutely floored with their capablity. They are not a refinement of the Khorn, no... in my view they are a league above the Khorn.

I know that JC and Mark are looking into a visit here so they can hear them in a home setting.

I also know that Supamoto will be coming by once some my dust here settles.

Point I'm getting to is Mike & I can blather on & on trying to describe some of the nuances of these things. How do YOU tell someone who's never heard a Heritage speaker how they sound? Try as you might, they'll STILL never 'get it' until they hear for themselves. So, I just want to be on the record saying that if someone wants to give them a serious listen (and can put up with my whole house vibrating) let me know and we'll see what we can plan [:D].

All I have to do is ask? I don't get it...what's the trick? [*-)]

I tried to be sneaky and download some EASE data, but apparently they

don't have that info on the site anymore? I swear I remember seeing it

on most of the pro stuff? Either way, I know they've gotta have some

EASE data tucked away somewhere because nobody would consider their

products without it. Everything has gotta look perty in them coverage

charts when a theatre is being designed. Though I did find a nominal

rating for the 3-way Jubilee tucked away in the literature. 90x60 +-20

degrees. So worst case scenario you're talking 70x40 @19kHz on the

3-way and probably something like 3x2 at 18kHz for the 2-way. [6][:P]

Well here goes...

Kind sir, could I trouble you for the polar data on the Jubilee? [:P][:D]

Roy, I think I must live near a black hole -- PMs, emails, and phone calls get sucked in and vanish. If you get a chance to call during the day today, use 1.937.255.6702 -- I'll be at work today until 4 (EST).

What is 'polar' response exactly -- what the FR looks like with the speaker sitting in a corner at the North Pole?:)

Point I'm getting to is Mike & I can blather on & on trying to describe some of the nuances of these things. How do YOU tell someone who's never heard a Heritage speaker how they sound? Try as you might, they'll STILL never 'get it' until they hear for themselves.

It applies to everything else in chain too. It's like trying to describe the taste of food -- forget it. All kinds of different words are used to describe things, and some that don't make much sense fall into place only after you hear it.

I wouldn't call the Jubilee a 'Heritage' speaker -- to get that you need a three-way loaded with phenolic diaphragms.:)

(after looking at the Jubilee threads)......

WOW. My, what BIG speakers you have[:D] Mike's pic says it all - that grin is almost as wide as that horn! But mostly, just chiming in here to say CONGRATULATIONS to you two on your new "babies"[Y]

Thanks for the kind thoughts![:)]

mike tn

DeanG.....Phenolic has nothing to do with The Heritage designs.....But they did play a part . Jubilee will be linked to the heritage line only through Pauls direct participation In its design with Delgato....passing into the new century. I hope Delgato can do what Paul Klipsch did with his original child (Khorn) ....Taking the Juble out to the public one at a time, proving its worth, Hoping the new child can walk on its own. .....The first ones are now out there....lets hope others will follow...thats up to you....what the small group here are doing, Reminds me of those of us 60 yrs ago were doing in getting the Khorn on its feet......Im too old now to start all over again, & will only participate in watching this grandchild (Jubilee) Waddle into adulthood....Its up to the young members on this Forum To support its growth. It will be your momentom, Not mine. create your new Heritage & good luck.

Point I'm getting to is Mike & I can blather on & on trying to describe some of the nuances of these things. How do YOU tell someone who's never heard a Heritage speaker how they sound? Try as you might, they'll STILL never 'get it' until they hear for themselves.

It applies to everything else in chain too. It's like trying to describe the taste of food -- forget it. All kinds of different words are used to describe things, and some that don't make much sense fall into place only after you hear it.

I wouldn't call the Jubilee a 'Heritage' speaker -- to get that you need a three-way loaded with phenolic diaphragms.:)

I totaly agree on describing the sound and would much rather someone hear for themselves than go off any thing I describe. everything I'm describing is based on my own System/Room and what I Heard In Hope.

One Thing Is For Sure I Firmly Believe There Is Even Better Sound To Be Had From The Jubilee In A Larger/Better Room BUT!!! I would love for people to hear what is possible in a Room Like I Have Them In Now![:)] When I get them to the point that I've taken them as far as I can in this room I would like to have my "Klipsch Friends" Over For A Listen.

As far as the Jubilee being a 'Heritage' speaker-- Well I know the Heritage Line actually started as a Two Way and then stabilized into a Three way for many years now with many driver and crossover changes also! Maybe the Label "HERITAGE" should be more thought of as a Concept/Idea of PWK and The Jubilee Definitly Fullfills That since it grew from the Original Roots of the Heritage Tree and Was PWK's Original Goal(Concept/Idea) from the begining!

DeanG.....Phenolic has nothing to do with The Heritage designs.....But they did play a part . Jubilee will be linked to the heritage line only through Pauls direct participation In its design with Delgato....passing into the new century. I hope Delgato can do what Paul Klipsch did with his original child (Khorn) ....Taking the Juble out to the public one at a time, proving its worth, Hoping the new child can walk on its own. .....The first ones are now out there....lets hope others will follow...thats up to you....what the small group here are doing, Reminds me of those of us 60 yrs ago were doing in getting the Khorn on its feet......Im too old now to start all over again, & will only participate in watching this grandchild (Jubilee) Waddle into adulthood....Its up to the young members on this Forum To support its growth. It will be your momentom, Not mine. create your new Heritage & good luck.

Beautifully Said!!!!

Part of my reasoning for getting the Jubilees was exactly because of what Maron Horonzak said and if we (Klipsch Fanatics) don't step up and support this Great Speaker who will?