A long road traveled with the McIntosh MC-30

This is a topic that has "eaten" away at me from my early days of MC-30 ownership. As some here might be aware, I am an admitted "fanboy" of this audio classic - by way of the one of a kind midrange, synergy with Heritage Klipsch, it's history in audio, and dammit - it's PRETTY[:D] That said, those first few years were not without problems.....and those problems opened a whole new "can of worms" that had me in a proverbial pickle.

My "stock" MC-30's that I initially purchased sounded pretty good on those RCA blackplate 6L6GC's........and just about any quality old set of 12AX/AU7/BH7 made before 1970. That said, this was my first set of tube amps - the MC30 being the preferred choice after evaluating several different options. I did a bit of small tube rolling and found out just how important those Telefunken 12AX7s are to the midrange of this amp, and had them pretty much settled in terms of smalls (Amperex 12AU7, RCA blackplate BH7, and of course the RCA 6L6GC).

The amplifiers were kept original as possible at purchase, yet updated for safety and tested by Terry - and met spec. I felt OK with that decision, primarily because it would give me a chance to evaluate these amplifiers with the bumblebees still in them, as there are a certain group of vintage Mac owners who want those caps in there. Recording engineer Steve Hoffman, another MC-30 fan, (and I AM paraphrasing here) likes his in original brand parts state - all the better to "bring old-recordings back to life". He also does not like rebuild samples he has auditioned, as removal of the paper bumblebees removes that 500HZ "hump" that those caps impart on that amp's sonic signature. For Steve, this is a "limited use" amp for older recordings, primarily, and those caps serve that use perfectly for him.

But reading this forum gets you trying things out that exposes some differences - and some flaws.

The first sign of a problem: I order up a new quad of Valve Art KT66 through Craig, after reading Wolfram's rave reviews of this China-produced remake of the GEC. To be blunt, the results stunk. Thick, cloudy, NO soundstage whatsoever. Craig implored me to be patient and let them "break in", but to no avail, even after 100 hours or so of trial. I even gave Craig the tubes back, I thought them so useless at the time. When I did that roll, even my wife asked "What did you do in here?" - it was THAT much of a downgrade.

The second piece of evidence was a trial of matched gen-yoo-ine GEC KT66, which forum member Timmikid let me borrow before sending them 'cross the pond. Again, poor results - like "why would anybody wanna buy THIS tube for 30's" kind of poor. Most disappointing. Allan Songer thinks so highly of the GEC, as do many others.....but from here, "the audio isn't matching the picture".......

And then the third piece of evidence, of course, was that visit to Craig's, where he showed me a whole new world in power and clarity with the VRD's and BlueBerry. My amps WERE foggy in a way that became more irritating as time went on.

So, off to the forums. Whassup?!?!? [8-)] The opinions ranged from "those are NOT spec tubes for those amps, so what do you expect" to "I love my KT66 in these" to "you need to get rid of those caps". Furthermore, some who liked KT66 had original caps as well as rebuilds, so naturally my head is spinning at this point. Craig BEGGED me to recap them, but I was concerned that this would hurt the "magic in the midrange". Not to mention selling them - all the better to have the original barrels, if at all possible.

So I took the easy way out[;)] I returned to the lineup of tubes that did work reasonably well. Worried that I had no real backups for output tubes I ordered a matched quad of SED "winged-C" 6L6GC tubes, to audition a low cost alternative in a 6L6GC. These were burned in for 75 hours at Upscale Audio, then run for 100 hours in my amps, with disappointing results. THIS is "the best current 6L6GC for audio"? This is trouble, as RCA 6L6GC's aren't cheap.......but I stuck with the SED's anyway, as I wanted to save those RCA's until I had more in the stash. The SED's did improve, but a BIG step down from the RCA's.

This worked OK for a time, then one amp began to have an intermittent static/soft thump at random times. As Quint says in "Jaws" - "sometimes it would go away.......sometimes it wouldn't go away". I sent it to Terry, and it went away.......everything tested fine, and was on for a week on his bench. He sent it back, amp starts thumping. Well, it DID eventually go away - then the other amp blew a cap, so then I was stuck in a corner. Do I rebuild? If so, with what? Will it hurt the midrange if I don't use old school caps? And since I would have a professional do this (and I am NOT a tech by any means), who do I have do it, and what of thier individual results?

So, off to the forums I go[;)]

Craig's advice rang true on one gut level: "Do you REALLY want to keep shipping those Macs once a year as those old caps fail?" He seemed to think that I had a pair that had been stored for a long period of time (not good for old caps - lots of use is GOOD for vintage amps like this), and the history does bear this out. Plus the advice of AK's Mac representative, Ron C, who also agreed that the time to rebuild was now for best sound and peace of mind. OK, so I might just give this a try - but with what parts should I use????? What caps? Will it hurt the mids?????

Other than Craig's offer of the russian greens, SILENCE. Bump all the threads. Oblique responses, but no useful information. Uh-oh, nobody wants to go out on a limb on Audible's amps - no less get into "cap wars" - but I needed another opinion. No offense to Craig, but I wanted TWO technical opinions to match, to hopefully keep my head from spinning - and from losing the invested time and $$$.

If I was gonna have them rebuilt, I wanted them to be the best they could be. I needed answers. And thanks to an email from a fellow forum member named Joe, I got those answers.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe tells me of a restoration/research project of his own he was working on, as he has a particular affinity for the MC30 as I do[:D] Me and Joe have a bit of a history, as he helped get Timmikid his MC-30's after we set up a "search party" on the forum for these amps. He tells me he's setting up a little bench of his own, and wants to know more on this subject as well. I send him my amplifiers, and he offers up an idea: How 'bout I send you a pair of rough samples to listen to with different cap setups and tell me what you think??

[:D]

The impressions below are my own/not ment to be definitive/not meant to start "cap wars"/not meant to insult anyone who uses caps I prefer less than others....[:)]

So the first pairing arrives.....the "basic build" using Illinois Capacitor in all of the small cap spots. This is the typical cap recommended on many vintage forums (along with the Orange drops). Of course, the power supply and other updates were done, this was to be a comparison of caps. This was "cap wars" on a real world level. The tubes were my usual stock setup for the majority of these trials: Tele 12AX7 in both spots, Amperex 12AU7, RCA blackplate 12BH7 and RCA 6L6GC. This is my "maximum midrange" tube setup.

The Illinois cap does mimick the "vintage" old cap sound pretty well, especially for an inexpensive cap. In a wholesale cap replacement, the "500 hz hump" DISAPPEARS in an MC-30. But the "vintage" character does remain to a large degree. I can see where an amp in for service might be replaced with an IC brand cap, and the sonic change not be too noticeable to one who likes that "vintage" midrange sound......but when done all the way through, it imparts more significant changes. It is NOT as sweet, to be sure - and through high efficiency horns, the "edges" are more raspy/distorted. The amplifier does OK with those classic rock recordings (Beatles) - that "back to life" quality is still there to a large degree, but when you get out the GOOD recordings, the limitations of the Illinois caps really show up. ESPECIALLY on Heritage Klipsch - the ultimate "magnifying glass" for the errors of your gear and recordings.

But the Illinois builds told me this: You CAN rebuild the MC-30 while still keeping the essence of what an MC-30 is. That is, as long as you are NOT addicted to that 500 hz hump. The essential "roundedness" of the MC-30's overall presentation was still there, it was just the edges that needed fixing. It was enough to tell us to "keep going" with better parts and see how much can be discerned. I also felt that if we could clean up those edges and get better resolution that the magic mids would return - with the right parts. There was some hints of this in the Illinois pairing.

So I send Joe those amps back, and he sends me two more back: One using primarily Sonic Craft "Sonicap white" capacitors in all the key small cap spots (a couple Illinois in non audio critical spots - there is a "dummy cap" in there as well)....and the other loaded with the "Sonicap Platinum" in those corresponding slots. Joe asked me not to open either amp up until I could definitively tell them apart.

This took less than five minutes. Probably more like one or two.

I of course let them play through the five hour session without opening them[:D]. But it was CLEAR that these were two completely different classes of amplifiers: The "platinum" version was a better amp in almost every area - clarity/transparency, detail, richness, and bass response. This amp "FINISHED" like no MC-30 I have ever heard: The cymbals sound like cymbals, without the annoying artifacts....and the "attack" on the front end of a note or passage was sooooooo free, wide open, and easy. The ability to pick out the individual instruments in complex passages is markedly improved, almost to a shocking degree I never thought possible in 30's. The biggest improvement, however, was the "blackness of background" with this build, and the seemingly absent "rush/noise" around the attack of notes that you get with the lesser quality parts.

I played them as a stereo pair for several sessions, then began "isolating" the amplifiers by playing in mono, as well as stereo, but using one amp at a time with a battery recordings I know well. The "white" build was better than the Illinois before.....the details were better executed...but the "platinum" was impossible to ignore. After several more sessions of the isolation/direct comparisons, I switched only the amps themselves from left to right/right to left, while leaving the tubes on the same channel. The results followed the amps, and they were left to play for a period of time. I even rolled the SED 6L6 back in - and voila - a very clear presentation, even from the "mid grade" build.

The only question remaining was how the "platinum" builds would interact as a pair. Everything we had heard to this point was encouraging. So I sent the "white" capped amp back, and a couple of months later, got it matched to the other, now a "platinum" capped matched pair. This is what I wrote Joe:

"I think the hammer has met the nail, Joe. This goes beyond anything I thought
possible with 30s.

This is the perfect balance of high fidelity accuracy and the comfortable
musical nature of a tube McIntosh. As I mentioned before, I thought this build
was a very good "snapshot" of what I would want a "new MC30" to sound like. If
Mac were to reissue it, this would be the desired result. The pairing bears
this out. It is a multiple stepped quality upgrade.

These really sound like SET in the respect of "immediacy": What is most
impressive is how the build maintains that "likelike spooky 3D realism" that
the original versions had - and that comfortable "feel" of a Mac. But it is
CORRECT: These amplifiers get the inner details right without "fogginess", but
while being true, rich, and comfortable. They definitely "extend" and
sound "open" - an old school Mac person used to original build might be taken
aback by this. But the extension is most welcome because it does not offend
(excepting for poor high frequency recordings), but these really squeeze "the
good stuff" out of your recordings.

They get the extremes RIGHT. No longer are there inner edge distortions or fog,
and no longer do the cymbals sound "wrong". The bass is also very good -
rounded, tuneful, but deep - and it's in balance. Old caps - or even "average
caps" don't seem to "get it all" with the frequency extremes. This build
handles the extremes better than I have ever heard in any vintage amp. The
standard complaints from the "Mac haters" have been REMOVED.....but yet
the "magic" is still there.

Most importantly, I think this particular capacitor is ideally matched to
McIntosh tube amps. As Sonic Craft describes it on thier webpage, it performs
as advertised, and reads like an ad for a cap you would want in a Mac. Rich,
full, yet revealing and extended. Inner detail in SPADES. Sounds like the best
of all worlds. IT IS."

Needless to say, I am most pleased with how this turned out. It was a 10 month journey since this "investigation" began - and every bit well worth it. As Joe is a hobbyist (does this in his spare time), I cannot say enough about what a HUGE help he has been here. He has opened doors in a very specific area of knowledge that is invaluable as a fan of the MC-30. I hope he gets 25% of the benefit via my opinion as I have gotten here. I can't thank Joe enough. And I think it is safe to say that the MC-30 will always be a special and permanent part of our audio fanaticism.

Another bonus: I am still in a very pleasant state regarding the McIntosh MX-110 preamp - it amazes me how good it sounds, especially with these amps. The synergy is better than evah......

So now, a different problem: I have a second pair of MC-30's (consecutives) that need a rebuild (already gutted of original caps, so no loss of value. Who cares when you aren't selling 'em anyway - hehe). So I have had this idea: Why not have two pairs of these beeeeautiful amplifiers in operation, and simply have them set up different in tubes - and possibly different build options - and just roll amps? I'll bet they sound good with KT66 now, or with GE 6L6GC, or Sylvania, or.......[:)]

Conclusions:

1. These observations are not meant to be definitive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am very much OK with MC-30's that have original parts, if they work up to spec. There seems no definitive answer on this issue: Some MC-30 sound very good on original caps, some not so much. A lot of this depends on usage history, and much will depend on the synergy with your system. Some MC-30's have aged better than others. One pattern that seems true is that lack of usage hurts the caps, especially if kept in humid environments (it's not good for the chrome, either).

2. If I did my own bench work, I would be more open to an "original" parts loaded amp - I could service the amps if they fail. Many hobbyists do this. I am NOT a tech - so Craig's coaxing regarding shipping hassles rings more true here...and i am NOT driving distance from the trustworthy people I would want servicing my amps. So rebuilding seemed the best way to go for my long term ownership....and I think over the long haul, the best way to keep these amplifiers in service. They deserve to be preserved and heard.

3. You MAY NOT actually like the rebuilds, especially if you are in the "Steve Hoffman" camp. I have written/conversed with several online who want them with originals. It does help if you can hear other people's MC-30's before doing this. I didn't have that luxury until I heard from Joe - and I am at least 12 hours away from any other MC-30 owners on this forum. Since this was a big question for me as an MC-30 owner/enthusiast, I am hopeful that this would shed some light for those wondering. I am using the MC-30 as my main 2 channel amps, and intend for that to be true for the future. Even if I do experiment elsewhere, the MC-30 will always be my "home".

4. (courtesy of Craig's postings): Just about all MC-30's will sound a bit different, even with original caps, depending on their operability. It is (and I agree with him) IMPOSSIBLE to know what an MC-30 sounded like when it came "off the line".

5. Caps ARE as individual as you are. Feel free to "play" - and ask questions. I wish we had more "cap discussions" here, it would shed more light on these issues. But it does seem that you can feel free to experiment a little - the essential body of the amp doesn't change too much - with exception to the 500hz hump, of course. But not all parts are created equal - all of this is making me a "cap guy" in a hurry. On horns, I find it especially true - "PARTS ARE NOT PARTS".

Well, I knew this write up was coming sooner or later. It was worth the wait! The networks in my Khorns will be replaced/upgraded at some point (probably by design of one of the fellowforummers) and indeed while you're at it, better use the best ingredients, caps I mean. I am grateful for the work others have done and the knowledge we share. Truly a great forum. Indeed thanks to Mr. Nectar and Joe (and many others) I got my beloved MC 30's. Someday they will need to be serviced and it's good to know there's a recipe to improve them even further. I must agree that the 6L6 GC's sound best in my system. Even though it's fun to roll them around once in a while. How would that saying be in English? Change of spice encourages the eating. Something like that, please correct my English. That magic midrange comes out best with the 6L6's. The KT66 has more bass. Anyway I am very interested how these tubes will sound in a rebuilt kit like this. Someday... Thanks, Tim.

ps:

How much does a complete set of the supreme caps cost?

How long will it take a good tech to rebuild? (I am definitely not going to do it myself either [:D])

Tim,

I think the caps were $600ish for the two amps, give or take a few $$$. Not cheap - but given the value of the amps, worth it, as I intend to keep them permanently. Not sure about "bench hours".

I do agree that the 6L6GC seems a really good match in these. Stands to reason, because that's what they are made for. But I am looking for an "alternate" setup from what I'm using now, likely focusing on the GE 6L6 or a KT66 in that second pair of 30's I have. Then I'll just roll amps....but we're still investigating just how that second pair is going to be done.

I think you are fortunate to have a pair of 30's that are in such good condition. It seems from the absence of complaints/etc that yours are stable. Given what I know of those, they are as good of an original pair of 30's as I've seen. I wouldn't redo them until you get specific evidence or issue that shows they need it. Good working 30's with all original caps DO have an allure that you cannot duplicate if you change them. Mine did not hold up in that state, so I had to do something with them.

Do you have a Mac knowledgeable tech over there, or are you forced to ship here when you need service?

Great set of posts, Audible. The slippery slithering slope down rebuild road is dangerous. I dithered when I got a very solid MC240 from GaryMD, and ultimately decided to let Craig do a full rebuild, even though it was totally in spec with original(and original replacement) caps and resistors.

Before the rebuild, the 240 was just like your 30s, with a very lush, rich sound. Recordings that had a LOT of space sounded wonderful, but there were many types of music that I longed to hear some additional clarity. After Craig massaged it, it was a different beast. Reaching for a car metaphor, I went from a relaxed Rolls Royce ride to a taut Lotus sprung roadster.

If you can, save the BBs and original resistors pulled...some collectors insist they have all original parts, even if they are never to turn the amp on. Congrats on being able to sample the varied rebuilds - some of this stuff is hard to sink your teeth into without actually seeing and hearing the differences!

"The slippery slithering slope down rebuild road is dangerous"

You bet it is. In hindsight, I realize why no one would really want to go "out on a limb" giving advice on this issue....because beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I do think we "hit on something" here as a "good matched" cap in terms off the general sonic character desired. They are still a Rolls-Royce (or as I like to say, "comfy like your Dad's La-Z-Boy"), but they are more "ergonomically correct"[:D].

"some collectors insist they have all original parts....."

No worries there. No collectors will have these until the death - MINE. I'm keeping two operating pairs, plus will be picking up two "service" amps to be parts archive, so if I need a critical part for service 20 years from now? I'll have them. I plan to be like Allan - I'm pretty much set on the gear I want/like, it's just a matter of reinforcing my investment - and the sound I've worked so hard to find. I'm already half way thinkin' that I should do this second pair just like these done here - barrels were replaced on my second pair before I got them - and yeah, they are "lotus" sounding versions, so I'm gonna do something with them.

But your post is well taken, and well informed. This is NOT "tube rolling" - these are permanent changes that should be well considered before doing. If one is in my situation and has similar concerns, I hope this sheds some light on the issue....even if it isn't definitive. Our collective experiences articulated hopefully make that decision better informed for others.

• Moderators

Audible,

As you know, I am a fellow MX110 owner. What work have you had done on your 110, what tubes are you currently running in the Audio section for the 6U8's and the phono section. If you have had it worked on, any work you regreted having done, would not do again, would for sure have done again?

Thanks,

Travis

Tim,

I think you are fortunate to have a pair of 30's that are in such good condition. It seems from the absence of complaints/etc that yours are stable. Given what I know of those, they are as good of an original pair of 30's as I've seen. I wouldn't redo them until you get specific evidence or issue that shows they need it. Good working 30's with all original caps DO have an allure that you cannot duplicate if you change them. Mine did not hold up in that state, so I had to do something with them.

Do you have a Mac knowledgeable tech over there, or are you forced to ship here when you need service?

Yes my pair has been trouble free all the way, is very silent, looks and sounds great. So for now I am fine indeed. Gives me time to work on the other components of my set. [:)] Like the networks I mentioned, a new TT is coming up, etc.

I don't know a knowledgeable tech here, but I have not searched either. I'd hate to have these babies all packed up again and put into many stranger's hands, before they reach "the other side". I might just pay Craig, Terry or someone a planeticket to come and do it over here. [:D] Don't pack your deoxit in your handle luggage please! [;)]

If anyone knows a mc tech in Europe, please let me know.

My MX110 was updated by Terry DeWick. There are (I believe) four 2uf caps that run along the rear inside the unit. He used Solen Fastcaps in those spots, as there is minimal room for the boutique caps. That said, it's an excellent vintage pre, as I have swapped this with some really good preamps (JM Peach, Supratek Syrah, Cary of some kind which I don't remember the model) - and it holds it's own very well. Some of these modern pre's image a little better - but the synergy between the Mac amps and this pre is excellent, and therefore I have no reason to change. It has survived many "challengers."

So certainly no regrets here. I used it in original state for a time as well, so the comparisons could be made - the service was certainly beneficial.

The linestage 6U8 are Seimens. Telefunken 6U8 are also very good if you can find them, as well as 1950's (white label) RCA, Amperex, and the Tungsrams are said to be good in these - although I have yet to sample them.

Phono 12AX7 are Telefunkens, although I haven't used this much - if at all (probably should roll those Teles and save 'em for when I really use 'em).

Excellent write-ups, Audible.

You've hit upon the problem with all vintage amps, especially collector vintage amps--caps can't last forever so eventually the owner has to decide if he wants to have an all-original unplayable amp for show, or does he want one he can play music with.

And after that decision, if he goes for the music option, he's in the position you were in where he's got to decide whether he wants to retain the original sonic signature or improve it, and how to go about achieving that. I admire your patience.

My MX110 was updated by Terry DeWick. There are (I believe) four 2uf caps that run along the rear inside the unit. He used Solen Fastcaps in those spots, as there is minimal room for the boutique caps. That said, it's an excellent vintage pre, as I have swapped this with some really good preamps (JM Peach, Supratek Syrah, Cary of some kind which I don't remember the model) - and it holds it's own very well. Some of these modern pre's image a little better - but the synergy between the Mac amps and this pre is excellent, and therefore I have no reason to change. It has survived many "challengers."

So certainly no regrets here. I used it in original state for a time as well, so the comparisons could be made - the service was certainly beneficial.

The linestage 6U8 are Seimens. Telefunken 6U8 are also very good if you can find them, as well as 1950's (white label) RCA, Amperex, and the Tungsrams are said to be good in these - although I have yet to sample them.

Phono 12AX7 are Telefunkens, although I haven't used this much - if at all (probably should roll those Teles and save 'em for when I really use 'em).

I had an MX-110 with an MC225 in my office system for about 10 years. I swiched offices and ended up selling the pair about twelve years ago, which I really regret to this day! THe MX-110 is a sweet unit and until recently was probably THE best value in all of vitage hi-fi. I think I paid about $250 for mine and I sold it for $350. I guess today they're worth about twice that, but considering you get a great preamp and tuner in one beautiful package, that's still a steal.

I think I still have the original owner's manual for the MX-110. I came across it years after I sold it. If you don't have one, I'd be happy to send it your way.

And don't worry about those Telefunken 12AX7--they might well go FOREVER in your application!!

Audible

what a great post! I have always been wondering what a totally restored amp might sound like. Too bad you don't live somewhere closer to Germany!

My tech (no, Tim, I wouldn't really recommend him for various reasons, so once you discover some trustworth source, please pass it on!!!) used to measure the distortion of my amps and according to his statement it is very low (definitely within/ or even lower than specs). Nevertheless I also read those posts by Ron and others who advise to follow your route.....and I can see some logic in their arguments. But then again I am no tech either....which is a pitty because in that case I'd do a rebuild and if it wasn't to my taste---go back to previous conditions).

Anyway, so far my pair has been performing nicely.....only an elko needed to be replaced.

I also agree on the synergy issue of the MC30s/MX110. Actually I also use this preamp (gone through by Audio Classics) with my Marantz....and sometimes even with my DRD SETs. I also use the MM section....and like it quite a bit. The only point where I seem to differ from most people is when it comes to Telefunken tubes. To my ears they do not sound very special....or rather too whitish in terms of tone. IT's either my ears or a question of taste, because I seem to react to all my Telefunken tubes in the same way......thus I am using vintage Mullards in the phono section.

Wolfram

Allan: I was fortunate to purchase my MX-110 from the original owner, and therefore received the manual, warranty cards, and service histories on the unit as a part of that deal. I MUCH appreciate that offer, but that might best be kept, if for no other reason than to give someone else the benefit. Maybe you'll end up with another....but they've gone up more than you think......good examples on Ebay draw $1200-$1500 these days. It's not a "stepchild" anymore - the word's out on this.

Wolfram: It seems us 30 owners have split ourselves up as much as possible! We're spread out all over the place - even amongst the US contingent. I've been on the lookout for 30's near me amongst the member systems or meetups, and haven't been able to make anything "line up". So yes, until this trial it was a "head spinner" as to parts choices/how to approach this.

I'm a Tele 12AX7 fan to the core, when used in vintage Mac gear (not so hot in most modern gear, though). This holds true even after the rebuilds. Can't speak for the phono, though, as I don't use that.

And Paul's summary explains the vintage owner's dilemma PERFECTLY. While many would have moved on, I saw something special in these amps that demanded the investigation. I was not going to rest until I found out - and I didn't buy 'em for show! Thanks to Joe, that process was made much easier, and told me much more than I would have ever known otherwise. As Dave mentioned, this can be a very slippery slope - but it's easier when you get three "test drives"[:)].

• Moderators

Allan,

What a nice offer to Audible on the manual. Like him, I too have the original manual , warranty cards, service history ect.

Audible: I was lucky enough to find 6U8 Teles, and that is what I have in there now, and will be switching back to Tele's for the Phono section and the 1st Amp. section. There are two "cans" on the back of that thing as I recall which were manufactured by GC. Does yours still have the original cans? Did Terry replace them? If so, with what?

Travis

Hi Tim,

If you wish, you can send my 'babies' back and I'll do the update for you... [:)]

Not quite sure how it happened, but you and Audible seem to have become parents to my best two pairs of 30s (I think you actually have the nicer pair of the two - sorry Dave..).

This was a fun project that is still in progress as we try some other things to try and 'improve' on the sound of the 30s. Even Craig will get a chance to try a few things with a pair (as soon as things settle down Craig..)

Now if I can just get the time to get started on updating a pair for me. [:D]

On a side note... With the help of another forum member, I recently received a batch of newly manufactured replacement chassis and bottoms for the MC30s. The bottoms appear to be close to a perfect match to the original. The first batch of chrome chassis is a tad thinner material than the original and also sustained some small scratches on the back panel during the screen printing. However, if you put them side-by-side with an original, you would not be able to tell them apart by looking at them. We are working on another batch that will hopefully be perfect. Also looking to do some chassis that would match the MC225s (as soon as I can get a bare chassis shipped).

Joe, you show-off!! If someone will update them, I guess it will be you then. Thanks for another great offer. Your babies have a good home here and to be honest, as a concerned foster parent, I think they are still a bit too young to cross the pond. Soon enough though. Well, you keep an eye on Dave, I am concerned he's spoiling them a bit...[;)] I think they need a good exercise program to get them back in optimum shape. As you know, you two, father and uncle, will always have visiting rights. Soon I will post some pics of them with their friends. [:)]

I read this thread with great interest. I have an MC240 that was not original when I bought it (electrolytics had been replaced) and has spent the last 10 years only being fed 3500hz and up driving a couple pairs of Ionovacs.

My Klipschorns arrive this coming Friday and I want to try the 240 with them, thinking while reading, I ought to see if Joe would check out my 240, wondering where he is located... was i shocked to discover Joe is about 80 miles from me.

Joe I will be sending you a PM

Jack

"Not quite sure how it happened, but you and Audible seem to have become parents to my best two pairs of 30s (I think you actually have the nicer pair of the two - sorry Dave..)"

(Shoots morning coffee on the monitor) LMAO[:D] My friend, you have NOTHING to apologize for[:)] If this is a job you have to apologize for, I would love to see the job you didn't have to....hehehehe...

Joe's "projects" are a subject that has been very near and dear to my audio heart. I have been nagging McIntosh rep Ron C. over at AudioKarma to reissue these tube rectified beauties (in the Mac suggestions thread), to no avail. Joe's project might actually be better - that way, WE get to "make the call" on some of the updates[Y].

If the pair I had were my only pair, I would be pleased as can be - but lo, there is another pair here waiting for specialized treatment......and therefore other options for rebuild will be considered for these. This "stock circuit" pair that are in house now make for an excellent rebuild - but who knows, maybe there's something better (or equally good) on the horizon.......it will be interesting to see in any case. So yes, there's more to investigate[:)].