Some of the best Klipsch sound Ive ever heard.

dtximages

Don't do it yet, but I think he'll tell you that the positive terminal on the amp, goes to the positive terminal on the FIRST speaker. The NEGATIVE terminal on the FIRST speaker then goes to the POSITIVE terminal on the SECOND speaker and the NEGATIVE terminal on the second speaker, then goes back to the negative on the amp.

At least, I think that is what he'll say? Does something or another (way over my head) to the ohm's.

[*-)]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you say COMB Filter? How about interdriver INTERFERENCE? Hmmm.....ok, how about PHASE ANOMOLIES? Or "Gee, I wonder why my amplifier blew up? Maybe it had something to with the smoke?" Or, "well, if I'm not deaf yet, I'm certainly going to be".

It cracks me up everytime I see someone do this and expound on how it "SOUNDS BETTER" (which is all realtive I guess). I'll grant you that it "sounds different". If you want your music to sound like the typical rock concert sound reinforcement system, go for it. All that crap is done simply to achieve higher sound pressure levels over a large (often open) area, not to acheive lower distortion and better QUALITY in a relatively small enclosed space.

haha yeah well its not my amp! its my roommates denon and he approved all wireing haha. and yes i agree, this set up does not make the sound any "better" as far as imaging, naturalness etc. it simply makes it really BIG sounding. this is my fun set up.

thanks for the info about the series wiring. however im not going to do that until someone is sure about how to do it. im not sure i like the idea of going pos to neg and then back to the amp until someone much more technical than me can give me the go ahead.

If you really must pile em up, at least do this.

Take your Chorus and stand them up properly. Then put a pad on top and carefully invert your Forte on top of the Chorus (upside down so the horns are together). Those two speakers together represent 4 ohms, the minimum you should probably present to any normaly stereo receiver.

M

In all seriousness you have to agree with Artto,stcking speakers only causes more problems.And to top this various speakers,more bad.

OT : Ah do I see a Nakamichi Dragon casette deck in the sig? I wonder if I should get one,$1200 mint,the pinnacle of casette deck quality.

The proper series connection for speakers is exactly as coytee described. Although, I like colterphoto1's idea even better. That should give you big sound with alot better imaging.

A good explanation of series and parallel can be found at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_7/1.html

It is much better to have too much impedance (series wired) than too little impedance (parallel wired), although it is best to have the impedance that the amp was designed for. Usually between 4 and 16 ohms.

If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads then you can wire two 8 ohm speakers in parallel. Wiring two 6 ohm speakers in parallel is really pushing it, but may be OK if you don't crank the volume. Anything beyond that should be wired in series.

FYI, I am a licensed electrician with an AA in electronics.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />Ok so let me see if i have this right:

+ Amp to + Chorus

- Chorus to + Forte

- Forte to + Quartet

- Quartet to - Amp

Is this right? will it change the sound any or just decrease the load on the amp?

If you must wire (3) 8 ohm speakers on one channel, here is what I suggest.

+Amp to +Chorus / -Amp to -Chorus

paralleled to

+Amp to + Forte

-Forte to +Quartet

-Quartet to -Amp

This should give you a little over a 5 ohm load. If your have not melted your receiver yet, it will certainly withstand this load. Good luck to you.

Jeremy

That is correct. It should not change the sound, just decrease the load on your amp. It may not get as loud as it use to, but you can probrably turn it all the way up with out damaging anything. I said probrably, not definitely. You may also want to try the parallel series combination, but you will not get even output from the speakers.

Scott

Well crap. all this imaging talk has almost ruined my listening experience. now i cant sit down and listen w/o thinking about the imaging being so messed up. Anyway i just bought a pair of CF3s and wow im impressed!

Hmmm... I see you are selling them already so you can't be too impressed! LOL

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

haha are you stalking my ebay? haha.. yeah im selling them already because im trying to pay off my credit cards to buy a house. I have so many klipsches already i dont think my muscles can move another pair into my house. however! the cf3's will be part of my system one day unless i am convinced that the cf4 is that much better. well it does have 12 inch woofers. ok ill go with the cf4s.. all kidding aside, i love the epic series.. i just sold my ex girlfriend a pair of cf1's (youve seen her in the pics on other posts) and im very impressed with them in her apartment,, and so is she!

Just put little rubber feet under the speakers,this way you eliminate alot of vibration transmission from speaker to speaker.

What is the tiny thing under the RF's? Do not tell me it is a sub.

I wish I could tell you it's a sub just to see your reaction. [:o] It's actually a 10 inch stool with granite floor tiles around it. I did this to get the tweeters as near the same height (slightly higher) as my front RF-7's.

I appreciate the rubber feet suggestion--I haven't heard anything bad, however I can see where it could make a difference.[:)] {edit: btw, the flash made the RS-7 appear dirty}